How should disabilities factor into organ transplant triage decisions?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by manifold, Jan 16, 2012.

1. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,764
    Unfortunate Fact: There aren't enough organs to go around to cover everyone who might need one, so clearly some needy patients simply die waiting.

How much should a patient's disabilities be factored into his/her relative ranking among all patients in the running for a particular organ?

Well, this story might interest you.

A Doctor Refuses to Okay Transplant for Child with Cognitive Disability (Updated)

Should CHOP Refuse Transplants for Mentally Retarded Kids? | Be Well Philly

Hospital denies life saving transplant to child because of special needs - Nashville Special Needs Kids | Examiner.com

2. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Technically, there are enough organs, there just aren't enough people who volunteer to donate.

No, disabilities should not be a factor.

Having said that, I lean towards a system that assumes that the dead are donors and that individuals have the right to opt out, instead of an 'opt in' system or doctors having to approach grieving relatives.

3. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Organ transplants ought only be given to people in perfect health.

Clearly if somebody has already not taken care of his or her organs, they don't pass muster for somebody else's.

4. Againsheila

Againsheila Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,700
    Because I know people, in the trade, so to speak, I will never sign an organ donor card. My relatives know my preferences, if I'm beyond hope, then by all means, if my organs are worth anything, give them to someone who needs them. But all too often, they LET someone die so they can harvast the organs. You may not believe it and there's no stats to back me up, but I've talked to people who know where it's happened.

5. Againsheila

Againsheila Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,700
    And clearly, if the doctors botched a triple organ job on an illegal alien girl, they shouldn't then take 3 other healthy organs and give them to that dying girl, who died anyway, while my friend was not even put on the list for a heart because she had diabetes (not her fault, btw).

I think I'll have my relatives specify that if my organs go to anyone, they go only to an American citizen or LEGAL immigrant unless of course, I'm in another country when I die, then the organs can go to that countries citizens.

Lawbreakers should never ever be rewarded.

6. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Then maybe the system of 'assumed consent' is a better one. If there is less pressure to find donors, they will be less inclined to let someone die for their organs?

I don't know enough about the topic to hold a firm view so I'm open to be convinced by any intelligent argument. On this, I'm happy to accept your word on it... not everything is verifiable and I have no reason to doubt your word. I don't always agree with you - but I have yet to see you be deliberately dishonest.

7. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,764
    IMO the 'assumed consent' model wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) pass constitutional muster. One's organs are every bit as much one's property as his/her estate holdings. If the government has the authority to harvest organs for the greater good, what's to stop them from seizing other property for the same purpose?

8. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Yea, which is why I find this topic such a difficult one.

9. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,764
    Unless enough people were convinced that it's worth a constitutional amendment. Then it could be accomplished without concern for a slippery slope.

10. Againsheila

Againsheila Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,700
    I don't know, I would equate that with the same as having to "opt out" of having your private information sold.