How often should I change my oil?

My dear daddy (may he rest in peace) worked in a Packard dealership in the 1930's. At that time, the sales people told customers that they MUST change the oil every 2,000 miles. The mechanics would drain the oil out of the Packards, save it, and use it in their own cars.

A co-worker of mine many years ago was going to night school about 60 miles away, and had been driving back & forth to school for years in his old Toyota Corolla. The odometer only went up to 99,999, but he assured us that he had well over 200k miles on this rusty little beast. I asked him how often he changed his oil and he said, "Every 30,000 miles or so, if I remember to do it." One might mention that with a 1.6L fourbanger, that car was constantly running hot.

I used to live next door to a chemical engineer who worked for Gulf Oil. I asked him how often I needed to change the oil in my car. His surprising answer: Never.

According to him, the "change every 3,000 miles," rule was appropriate until about 1960, when the oil companies started making higher-quality oil. Before that time, oil would lose its viscosity over time, due to the heat of the engine. Since then, however, the oil never loses its viscosity under normal use, and it's the DIRT IN THE OIL that is the concern. In his car, he would change the FILTER every 7,500 miles and add some oil occasionally as necessary, but he never saw any need to CHANGE the oil.

From these stories and personal experience, I gather than the only reason anyone would recommend changing oil more freqently than once every 15k miles is if he is trying to sell oil changes. It is really unnecessary. In the Old Days, it was necessary to change the oil in a new car at a thousand miles or so, because the "fresh" engine might have microscopic metal filings floating around and scarring the pistons and cylinder walls, but with modeern manufacturing techniquest that's no longer the case.

My daily drive is a H.O. Chrysler turbo, and I change the oil & filter every 5,000 miles, JUST SO I CAN TELL THE NEXT OWNER TRUTHFULLY THAT I DID THAT. I actually think it's overkill.

Not on a turbo engine. They run hot and are hard on oil. My wife's GN shears oil badly...even after 5K, it's noticeably thinner than when it went in. (Per lab analysis, it shears from 5W-40 to about a 5W-25.)

Some engines are harder on oil than others. Any diesel with Cat's HEUI system (injectors fired by very-high-pressure oil) is VERY sensitive to oil quality.

I purchased My 2004 Mazda Tribute 6 years ago. IT had 33k miles on it.

Two days ago, it rolled over to 203,500 miles. I change the oil every 4k miles and it runs like a champ. When it rolled over to 170k, I did switch to a high mileage synthetic blend oil.

The fact that some one changed his oil every fifteen minutes and never had a problem is irrelevant. It begs the question of what would have happened otherwise.

The real question is this: When is the last time you even heard of an engine seizing up or needing a "ring" job, OTHER THAN when running with NO OIL at all?

For me, it has been at least 40 years.

Well, I have an appointment to get my studded tires taken off this Thursday, and I'm going to ask for an oil change as well. The car will be at about 1700 miles on it. I've had it a little over six months.

I'll probably change the oil every six months for sure, maybe a bit more frequently. Maybe once in the spring, once in the fall and then again midwinter. Three times a year, regardless of mileage (because I don't put a lot of miles on it). That way I'm compensating a bit for the cold weather, and for not driving long distances on the highway, just around town.

Still confused. :( But I think that's my plan based on all your comments. If i only get it changed twice a year I won't panic, though!

Hey! What if when I take it in for the oil change I ask them what condition the old oil is in? Really dirty, or what? That'll give me an idea how things are going, right?

This is a reputable place I'm going to, I don't think they'll lie just to get me to come in for more frequent oil changes.

Another question! Shall I take my owner's manual in and show them what kind of oil to use...or should they know that?

Maybe I'll just make a copy of that page of the manual and stick it in my purse, huh? Then I'll pull it out when I bring the car in, and ask them to please make sure and use the right oil! I mean, a person has to look out for themselves, right?

Several years ago I had the inestimable privilege of owning a small Mercedes sedan. I stored the car in winters and didn't drive it much in the summer, so once when I brought it in for my annual state inspection, I had less than a thousand miles on the ticker since the last oil change.

Of course, since it was a Mercedes Copulating Benz I used only the best synthetic oil, sung to the tune of about $35 per quart.

The cute little girlie behind the service counter advised me that I really ought to change my oil.

Why, I queried her? It's only been a thousand stinkin' miles!

"Time lapse," said she. "The oil degrades over time."

I was aghast. "You charged me $35 per quart of oil and you are telling me that the oil has degraded in ONE STINKIN' YEAR?"

I blush to admit that I took the name of The Lord My God in vain.

Needless to say, the little tenderloin was disappointed that day. No oil change.

No harm in bringing that owner's manual page copy with you for the oil change.

I once owned a car for which the manual specified 10W-40 oil. It ran fine and got oil changed regularly but there was a cooling system defect that got the vehicle recalled for a complete, no-charge, engine replacement.

It being a new engine, I changed oil after very few miles. Then I had occasion to move the vehicle a few feet several times over the course of a morning. When I tried to start it later in the day it would spin but not start. The more it spun over the easier and faster it spun!

Dealer towed it in - second one he had that week after an engine change. In both cases the oil had been changed (once in his own shop) using the manual specified oil. Thing is the replacement engine required 5W-40 oil but there was no notice to the owners to go to that oil and none to the dealer's own service department.

What happened was that the 10W-40 oil pumped up the hydraulic lifters and drained back down so slowly that the close interval between starts left them pumped up and the more it spun the more got held up.

It took the dealer several hours consulting with the factory to find the reason and the cure. Painful cure: Drain all the oil, remove the filter and turn the engine over until all the oil was gone! Not usually a good thing to do to a car but that's what it took. Naturally they provided new oil and filter, no charge, and put a sticker on the oil cap telling anyone working on that engine to disregard the original manual and use only 5W-40.

So, not only take the manual, be sure there are no recalls or factory recommendation changes. The place you take the vehicle should be able to do that and will if they are to be trusted.....

I got my oil changed today! Plus I got my studded tires taken off and the summer tires put on!

What a relief.

The Hyundai manual "recommends" Quaker State oil and this place I went to put Pennzoil in. Surely that's not going to void the warranty, right? I mean, they're not THAT picky are they? I suppose I should call the dealership and ask them.

Quaker State and Pennzoil are of similar quality - both quite good. No, they cannot specify a brand of oil - only a type (would logically include viscosity and intended service category) Here's a link that explains it:

API Engine Oil Classification

It's almost surely spelled in the specifications part of your owner's manual and any good garage should have reference tables they should follow.

I got my first new car ever in my life. It's a Hyundai Santa Fe Sport and I love it. So I want to take care of it.

I seem to have trouble getting a straight answer about how often to change the oil. Here's the dilemma...I don't put a lot of miles on the car.

The car had 75 miles on it when I got it October 18, 2013. Now it has about 1600 miles on it. I'm only putting about 250 something miles on it per month.

I think the manufacturer's book says change the oil every 3700 miles or so. But then people are always saying you should change it every three months, regardless of mileage? I mean REALLY???

My plan is to change it every six months at the current mileage I'm putting on it. Shouldn't that be okay? That means I'll be changing the oil about every 1600 miles or less.

I had a Hyundai Elantra. In order for me not to void the warranty, they said I had to use Hyundai oil. We found out that the dealer uses Sunoco oil.

The 30,000 mile service came up and I went to a local garage that my wife's parents knew for 30 years to have my car serviced instead of Hyundai so they treated me car as if I never had it serviced even though I had the licensed garage service my car and initial the service papers.

I liked the car but I traded it in and I'm pretty much done with them.

The only problem I really had with this car was I kept changing the headlights. Every time I went over a bump, the Halogen headlamps broke the filament so I was constantly changing the headlights.

Quaker State and Pennzoil are of similar quality - both quite good. No, they cannot specify a brand of oil - only a type (would logically include viscosity and intended service category) Here's a link that explains it:

It's almost surely spelled in the specifications part of your owner's manual and any good garage should have reference tables they should follow.

QS and Penzoil are owned by the same company.

QS and Penzoil are owned by the same company.

Remember the claim that Quaker State was made exclusively from Pennsylvania crude oil and that Pennsylvania had been home to a superiour breed of dionsaurs?

My favourite oil, back in the non-detergent days, was Oilzum!

That's what they said...it's their JOB to know the right oil to put in. :)

They put in 5W20. The owner's manual doesn't tell about that... it refers to Theta II 2.4 GDI or Theta II 2.0 T-GDI. whatever that is. I think 2.4 is the engine size, T-GDI is referring to the turbo. I don't have turbo.

I worked in auto parts supply business in different areas for 20 years up to 2012.The 3month/3000miles whichever comes first rule is outdated by about 15 yrs, when engine tolerances where less precise and oil was less refined. The rule of thumb now is 6 mo.or 6000 mi. WHICHEVER COMES FIRST for post 2000 vehicles, 6 mo. or 5000 mi. WHICHEVER COMES FIRST for pre 2000 vehicles. WHICHEVER COMES FIRST being very important.

I worked in auto parts supply business in different areas for 20 years up to 2012.The 3month/3000miles whichever comes first rule is outdated by about 15 yrs, when engine tolerances where less precise and oil was less refined. The rule of thumb now is 6 mo.or 6000 mi. WHICHEVER COMES FIRST for post 2000 vehicles, 6 mo. or 5000 mi. WHICHEVER COMES FIRST for pre 2000 vehicles. WHICHEVER COMES FIRST being very important.

Which likely is true. However with a leased vehicle the important thing is to comply with the terms of the lease. If it says to change the oil and filter every 26.7 miles and you don't then when the lease is over you could find yourself being dinged financially. And may God help you if you've let it go to 27 miles and something breaks.

I know, overstated, but it's meant only to focus attention on the need to read and understand the lease (or warranty if you're buying).

Forum List

Back