How much is your gerocery bill?

I made Tomato Mac and Cheese the other night.

Here it the recipe:

• Salt and pepper
  • 1 pound elbow macaroni (see note) $1
  • 1 (28-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes $2
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter $.50
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour $.25
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 4 cups half-and-half $2.50
  • 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth (used a bullion cube) a can would be $1
  • 4 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese $6
  • 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese $3

That's $15 for a side dish.

Home made lasagna...maybe $27.

Even something simple like spaghetti, if you want to put some fresh ingredients in the sauce and some meatballs, you're talking $12-15.

I don't know how folks make ends meet these days.

Here it the recipe:

• Salt and pepper

Even something simple like spaghetti, if you want to put some fresh ingredients in the sauce and some meatballs, you're talking $12-15.

You can buy 5 lbs of flour for a few bucks and a dozen eggs for 2 bucks and make more pasta than you could eat in a month.

Here it the recipe:

• Salt and pepper

You can buy 5 lbs of flour for a few bucks and a dozen eggs for 2 bucks and make more pasta than you could eat in a month.

Probably better for ya too.

Here it the recipe:

• Salt and pepper

The pasta in the recipe only cost a dollar.

While you're kneading dough, etc. etc. I'll shovel the neighbor's walk for $5 bucks, buy 1/5 the pasta, cook it, and eat it while you're rolling it out, cutting it into shapes.

Here it the recipe:

• Salt and pepper

While you're kneading dough, etc. etc. I'll shovel the neighbor's walk for $5 bucks, buy 1/5 the pasta, cook it, and eat it while you're rolling it out, cutting it into shapes.

No I can bang out pasta in no time

KitchenAid-pasta-maker-300x300.jpg

No I can bang out pasta in no time

KitchenAid-pasta-maker-300x300.jpg

That's just not fair.

I'm looking at $400 a month for a family of 3. My husband has suggested that we are excessive, I disagree. So I thought I'd ask and see what everyone else says:)

:eek:

i run about $400...... a week..... for 3.

What??!! We eat very well ,always the best cuts of meat and fresh veg. and we don't spend near that, 100-125 bucks and that includes one night a week we might slum and get take out.

I'm looking at $400 a month for a family of 3. My husband has suggested that we are excessive, I disagree. So I thought I'd ask and see what everyone else says:)

:eek:

i run about $400...... a week..... for 3.

What??!! We eat very well ,always the best cuts of meat and fresh veg. and we don't spend near that, 100-125 bucks and that includes one night a week we might slum and get take out.

Frisky's fillets are not the best cuts of meat........ :eusa_whistle:

Most everyone assess's how much they spend on food wrong. No one buys just food at the supermarket.
Id bet if the original thread poster who said her bill is 400 for food...took out the toiletpaper, napkins and laundry detergent and windex and all the other non food items that get thrown in the basket they would find their actual food bill is much smaller.
Buy in bulk in sams certain things are really cheaper...like coffee, cereal and tuna and other stuff just pay attention some isnt....and one great way to lower you bill is get high cholesterol and have to get off the porterhouses and red meat in general :(
Theres a myriad of ways to keep eating HEALTHY manageable.....most americans wont do it.

That's just not fair.

Buy one. It'll pay for itself in no time.

Indeed. Much like brew kits when brewing your own beer. All that paid for itself in about three to four months, all told.
I make pasta on a regular basis. I use a hand shredder instead of a machine which I have, but by the time you take to consider the cleaning and maintenance it is easier just to use the shredder by hand. I mostly make German type Spatzle. I mix flour with eggs and a little oil until I have a sticky dough.

With the bottom of the flat shredder resting across a pot of boiling water I gently press the dough and pull it down the shredder and the spatzle falls into the pot. After boiling for a few minutes it is ready to serve.

If I want a little extra for another time I hold the shredder and pass the dough over it gently but firmly enough to shred some pasta onto waxed paper. Let it dry, then put it in a ziplock bag.

It takes a little practice but after a little while you get the hang of it.

I wished we lived close enough to a Commissary we could go to all the time......

But I spent $300 at Sams, and at least that much more at Giant Eagle this month, for 2 people.......

I'm moving within the next month or so back to my hometown. My daughter likes Giant Eagle and Costco. It's gonna be fun shopping at places like that again.

I love costco!
Yep....and you can't beat their meat.:D

No matter which cuts, if you take the time and dig through the choice grade section, you can almost always find packages that are as close to prime grade as you can get.....I've actually found prime grade several times, marked at choice price.

And of course, those 5 buck whole rottiserie chickens are always good, and perfect for when you're looking for something to grab and go.

You also can't beat their coffee prices.....12 bucks a pop for a two pound bag of whole bean Starbucks, Newhall Roasting Co, or Peet's just can't be beat.

If people stopped buying crap like boxed cereal they'd save a ton of dough.

2 lbs of oats costs nothing and yields 3 times more than a 5 dollar box of sugar and air called cereal.

Most everyone assess's how much they spend on food wrong. No one buys just food at the supermarket.
Id bet if the original thread poster who said her bill is 400 for food...took out the toiletpaper, napkins and laundry detergent and windex and all the other non food items that get thrown in the basket they would find their actual food bill is much smaller.
Buy in bulk in sams certain things are really cheaper...like coffee, cereal and tuna and other stuff just pay attention some isnt....and one great way to lower you bill is get high cholesterol and have to get off the porterhouses and red meat in general :(
Theres a myriad of ways to keep eating HEALTHY manageable.....most americans wont do it.

No,... that was the food bill.

That's true, I typically buy other necessities when at the supermarket. However, I factored that in when I calculated the OP:)

I'm moving within the next month or so back to my hometown. My daughter likes Giant Eagle and Costco. It's gonna be fun shopping at places like that again.

I love costco!

No matter which cuts, if you take the time and dig through the choice grade section, you can almost always find packages that are as close to prime grade as you can get.....I've actually found prime grade several times, marked at choice price.

And of course, those 5 buck whole rottiserie chickens are always good, and perfect for when you're looking for something to grab and go.

You also can't beat their coffee prices.....12 bucks a pop for a two pound bag of whole bean Starbucks, Newhall Roasting Co, or Peet's just can't be beat.

yep, i love costco meats.

however.... beef is still not cheap. The rib roast and veal were 12.99 a pound. New Yorks are still 12-13 per portion.

Now you will laugh... i made schmaltz... you know stuff that is made out of what is considered scrap.... and the butcher charged me 3.99 a pound. :eek:... But it did make a lovely golden elixir!

I dont get their coffee...i order mine from a small specialty roaster. :tongue:

I love costco!

yep, i love costco meats.

however.... beef is still not cheap. The rib roast and veal were 12.99 a pound. New Yorks are still 12-13 per portion.

Now you will laugh... i made schmaltz... you know stuff that is made out of what is considered scrap.... and the butcher charged me 3.99 a pound. :eek:... But it did make a lovely golden elixir!

I dont get their coffee...i order mine from a small specialty roaster. :tongue:
One of my favorite coffees comes from up there in that basion of lunacy you call home.....It was called Sarkisian's, but is now called Peerless.....It was a lil' roasting company.....My stepdad would travel up there on business once amonth, and always brought some home.....I first tried it when I was about 10 years old, and that's when I started liking coffee......I've found it occasionally down here lately under the Peerless brand in some stores.....It's a hit and miss thing....Looks like they're going regional.

Forum List

Back