How much is your gerocery bill?

We spend about $500- $600 a month for 2 people including paper and cleaning goods, and there is not much competition of grocers near us so our grocery store is pretty expensive, plus fruits and veggies are an arm and a leg up here in the Winter....summer time, we spend less on food....

Lobster, 3.99 a 1 lb lobstah from the Lobster shack near my house all Summer long...he closes the first week of October though and does not reopen until May 1st....bummah!

I want to live in Maine. I want lobster every night.

I do.

anything every night gets boring. Visiting maine and having it every night for a week is what makes it special.

For me my dear.... lobster every night would be a special treat!

A very special and delicious treat! :eusa_clap:

here ya go skye... lobster dinner with a side of lobster.

Lsidecrop-1_zpsb21874c0.jpg

Why do we take this crap? The cost of groceries is tied to the cost of shipping and the price of diesel fuel. America is the richest Country in the world in energy resources but radical fools have convinced Americans that our decadent society contributes to global warming and that energy prices should be set unreasonably high so that Americans learn what it's like to be a 3rd world country. What do we get? Whining about the cost of groceries.

Why do we take this crap? The cost of groceries is tied to the cost of shipping and the price of diesel fuel. America is the richest Country in the world in energy resources but radical fools have convinced Americans that our decadent society contributes to global warming and that energy prices should be set unreasonably high so that Americans learn what it's like to be a 3rd world country. What do we get? Whining about the cost of groceries.

:wtf:

and isnt that why farmers markets are supposed to so great? You know, no middle man and direct from the local farmer?

Here.... not a chance on that. You pay triple for stuff from the farmers market.... and the stuff flow in from chile is less expensive by half.

for example.... peaches were 3.99 a pound. What that means is a single peach being over 4 bucks.

same for heirloom tomatoes.... 4.99 a pound. Heirloom tomatoes from chile were half that much.

I'm looking at $400 a month for a family of 3. My husband has suggested that we are excessive, I disagree. So I thought I'd ask and see what everyone else says:)

I think it depends on your budget, I think you could certainly get by on less but you wouldn't have as many fresh fruits and vegetables and lean meats. Or are you buying a lot of prepackaged food. Believe it or not a whole chicken is cheaper than a cut up chicken and real potatoes are cheaper than fries. Coupons could be a way to reduce your food budget and sales as well. Stock up on stuff when it's cheap.

If you like to have preperpared food in your freezer, you could do what I do, make enough for two meals and put one of them in the freezer. I always do that with my meatloaf and my spaghetti or mac and cheese. Things like them.

When I was younger, Lasagna was a two day thing for me. The first day I'd cook up the sauce and we'd have spaghetti. The second day, I'd make up about 6 lasagnas and put them in the freezer. It's actually cheaper for me to buy lasagna than make it because I use a lot of expensive ingredients, but my lasagna is good. I gave a lot of my lasagnas away for gifts. My youngest son's special ed teachers really appreciated them. I'd give them a lasagna, some homemade french bread and a salad. The Lasagna was frozen so they could either put it away for another time or make it that night.

Homemade bread is another way to cut the budget. Bread is expensive these days.

and isnt that why farmers markets are supposed to so great? You know, no middle man and direct from the local farmer?

Here.... not a chance on that. You pay triple for stuff from the farmers market.... and the stuff flow in from chile is less expensive by half.

for example.... peaches were 3.99 a pound. What that means is a single peach being over 4 bucks.

same for heirloom tomatoes.... 4.99 a pound. Heirloom tomatoes from chile were half that much.

Farmers markets are great if they are real farmers markets . If you want to eat local veggies (they can't sell meat) in season you need to either preserve the produce or starve in the winter. The retail price of every comodity from junk food to clothing is tied to the price of energy. The sooner we understand the concept the better off we will be.

I'm not a coupon girl, I used to be but I don't have much time for it now. It really depends on the product if I buy name brand or store brand, but since we do most of our shopping at the commissary the prices are really reasonable.
I shop at the commisarry, but, prices are competative at Market Basket for some items and I shop in bulk at Costco and BJ's.

We buy all of our meat from a butcher store, buy virtually no prepared (processed) foods and produce from markets whenever possible.
I would say our bill is about $400 a month also.

I'd prefer to save on groceries so I can save $$$ for the upcoming 4 years....

I agree with you on that. We're financially "going galt" - only buying necessities.

I'm copacetic on paying more for Real Food (and doing my own cooking, which I've always done), not only for taste but the health aspects. Think of it this way - you'll likely reduce you're need for health care by taking good care of yourself!

Forum List

Back