How much is a fair share?

Ame®icano;4165591 said:
I asked this question on another thread but here we go again.

who_pays_the_taxes.JPG

Obama keep talking about rich not paying their "fair share" but I never heard what that "fair share" really is. There is an argument on both sides, but I would like hear your opinion, how much exactly is the "fair share" rich and/or others should pay? Give me exact number.

Give me what you think would be a fair percentage (of all US wealth) for the top 1% of this nation to own?

Is there any limit to the percentage of all existing wealth that you think would be fair?

Give me an exact number.

I don't know what a fair share is, but it's not zero. Neither the rich nor the poor should pay zero taxes and both do now.

There is not a single "rich" income earner that is paying zero taxes.

Anyone who is earning 400K or more is paying 35% less deductions...

ANd those deductions are available to ALL income earners.

Ame®icano;4165591 said:

who_pays_the_taxes.JPG

Obama keep talking about rich not paying their "fair share" but I never heard what that "fair share" really is. There is an argument on both sides, but I would like hear your opinion, how much exactly is the "fair share" rich and/or others should pay? Give me exact number.

That is only personal income tax. Tax rate and tax burden are different.

Last edited:
Fair share means "what % of income", NOT "what % of total taxes". You're offering us a red-herring. Quit comparing apples and oranges.

OK
High income earners pay a higher percentage of their income to taxes than lower income earners.
Sound fair to you?

That's not what Buffet says. You're listening to propaganda.

What you and rest of kool-aid drinkers don't understand from Buffett's message is that Americans no longer getting appropriate value for the dollars that they "invest" in their government.

When Buffett invest in a company and returns from a company are insufficient, he does not throw good money after bad. He finds a way to liquidate his position at the highest price. If government do what Buffett does, we would be in much better position today.

Meanwhile, more and more tax-paying Americans have realized that neither the price nor the performance of government is going to improve in the near future, and they don’t want to invest any more of their tax dollars. Those who are not paying taxes don't care, kool-aid is cheap.

Ame®icano;4165591 said:

who_pays_the_taxes.JPG

Give me what you think would be a fair percentage (of all US wealth) for the top 1% of this nation to own?

Is there any limit to the percentage of all existing wealth that you think would be fair?

Give me an exact number.

Screw you! Government has NO place to determine how much someone can be worth...or did I miss that in the Constitution? Wealth is not a static amount to be divided among citizens. Wealth can be created or destroyed. Those that are better at creating it end up the wealthiest. Those that destroy wealth end up broke or in debt. You certainly don't get to decide who is rich enough.

Ame®icano;4165672 said:
Ame®icano;4165591 said:

who_pays_the_taxes.JPG

Fair share means "what % of income", NOT "what % of total taxes". You're offering us a red-herring. Quit comparing apples and oranges.

Here are the IRS tax brackets for 2011. As much I can see, top tax bracket is much higher then bottom one. Red-herring?

taxbrackets.jpg

Yes, because you're not counting the loopholes that the Reps don't want to close.

Ame®icano;4165672 said:

Here are the IRS tax brackets for 2011. As much I can see, top tax bracket is much higher then bottom one. Red-herring?

taxbrackets.jpg

Yes, because you're not counting the loopholes that the Reps don't want to close.

Such as tax breaks and taxpayer backed loans for "green" companies? THOSE kind of loopholes?

Ame®icano;4165591 said:

who_pays_the_taxes.JPG

Give me an exact number.

Well, you haven't posted yours yet.

I support flat tax, no exceptions. Some are saying 12% would cover all that government needs, I would give them 20% and use the difference strictly to pay off the national debt and then drop it.

What's your number?

Ame®icano;4165591 said:

who_pays_the_taxes.JPG

Give me an exact number.

Seeing as every American is afforded equal rights to generate wealth, the word fair should not be applied to the iquestion of "what is a fair amount that the wealthiest should have"

Ame®icano;4165766 said:
Ame®icano;4165591 said:

who_pays_the_taxes.JPG

Give me an exact number.

I support flat tax, no exceptions. Some are saying 12% would cover all that government needs, I would give them 20% and use the difference strictly to pay off the national debt and then drop it.

What's your number?

12% flat tax across the board and then adjust it when our debts are paid to keep the budget balanced. The coffers or ledger should equal zero, no excessive surplus or debt.

Ame®icano;4165672 said:

taxbrackets.jpg

"loopholes" is a word that is incorrectly applied to "incentives"

For example...one "loophole" is section 42..

Without section 42 (LIHTC) a real estate investor has absolutely no incentive to build an apartment building in a low income neghborhood.

Do you wish to get rid of that "loophole"?

The left wont be happy until we are all taxed 100% and they send out checks to everyone in the amount they think we deserve. Redistributed wealth is what it's all about. We have a welfare class in this country and obama thinks they are entitled to an equal share to a hard working business owner.

Ame®icano;4165591 said:

who_pays_the_taxes.JPG

I was asking myself the same question this morning on the way to work after listening to a news story on the radio. Obama keeps throwing around the term "fair share", but after three years has yet to define what it is. Obama is all about the bullet point and nothing about the actual details.

Ame®icano;4165591 said:

who_pays_the_taxes.JPG

I was asking myself the same question this morning on the way to work after listening to a news story on the radio. Obama keeps throwing around the term "fair share", but after three years has yet to define what it is. Obama is all about the bullet point and nothing about the actual details.

That's the inexperience in the economic discipline that eludes O.

Ame®icano;4165766 said:

Give me an exact number.

What's your number?

12% flat tax across the board and then adjust it when our debts are paid to keep the budget balanced. The coffers or ledger should equal zero, no excessive surplus or debt.

Flat percent tax would only be acceptable if you got rid of other taxes that have a bigger impact on working Americans.

Fair Share?

Current spending is $3.83 trillion

Subtract: $934 billion for income from payroll taxes
$213 billion for income from other misc. sources

Divide by 310 million people

You get $8655 per person.

Seems fair to me.

Ame®icano;4165766 said:

What's your number?

Flat percent tax would only be acceptable if you got rid of other taxes that have a bigger impact on working Americans.

Of course. The IRS would be disbanded and all other federal taxes would end before a 10, 12 percent flat tax was implemented.

Here is the irony of the whole topic..and before you jump down my throat, read part 2...

Part 1

Those that are responsible for the bulk of the tax revenue, capitalize on very few, if any of the entitlement progrmas. They are never on welfare, never use food stamps, rarely collect unemployment, rarely use medicaid.

Yes, but then you will say: But the wealthiest became wealthy becuase they capitalize on America and the ability to get rich in America with its raods, bridges, tunnels, etc.

Part 2

if the above is true (in red) then why the hell do you keep complaining that the rich are rich becuase they ship all of the jobs overseas?

Are they or are they not capitalizing on America? Make up your dam minds already.

Ame®icano;4165591 said:

who_pays_the_taxes.JPG

Give me an exact number.

I like to put this in terms that regular joe's can understand. Let's say that your house has 12 rooms total. Your next door neighbor has 8 rooms total. Are you willing to let him have 2 of your rooms so that your housing is "fair". Come on, man up! Practice what you preach. Are you going to give him part of your house or not? What about groceries? If you have $200 worth and he has $100, are you going to let him have $50 worth out of your pantry? What about sex. If your wife gives it to you 4 times a week and he's only getting it 2 times, are you going to turn down 1 night so he can get more? These are real questions. You have more than your neighbor and he deserves his "fair share". These things are no different than having to give your "fair share" of your wealth. Think about it.

Forum List

Back