How much energy does it take to make 1 gallon of gasoline?

I am not so sure that the production does not already consume more than 100% of yield in producing gasoline.
Virtually all of the energy used to produce gasoline is supplied by fuel that is a byproduct of the refining process. Diesel fuel runs generators and pumps. According to Wiki, about 46% of a barrel of crude is sold as gasoline. Seeing that oil companies also sell diesel, heavy fuel oil, tar for road surfaces and oil for lubrication, as well as byproducts used to make plastics, it would seem to me that there must be more energy produced than consumed.
One must figure in supertanker costs and fuel consumption. pipeline costs, offshore drilling rig costs, and other drilling costs.

It is supply and demand. they have the supply and can demand what they want within certain parameters of course.

Far, FAR more efficient than ethanol production, which doesn't even break even.

We spent thousands of lives and over 1 trillion to protect oil supplies over the last 10 years, how much do we spend to protect corn supplies?
Are you still bitterly clinging to the ridiculous idea that the war was about oil? :lol:

We get more oil from Nigeria than we do from Iraq.

Last year, we imported 1.68 million barrels of oil from Iraq. That's only 10% of the oil we imported from OPEC, and only 4.7% of total imports.

Meanwhile, corn production for ethanol is blamed for a dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico the size of New Jersey:

Dead zone in gulf linked to ethanol production - SFGate

Anyone who claims ethanol is good for the environment is a moron.

Or happens to be a farmer that grows corn :eusa_whistle:

I am not so sure that the production does not already consume more than 100% of yield in producing gasoline.
Virtually all of the energy used to produce gasoline is supplied by fuel that is a byproduct of the refining process. Diesel fuel runs generators and pumps. According to Wiki, about 46% of a barrel of crude is sold as gasoline. Seeing that oil companies also sell diesel, heavy fuel oil, tar for road surfaces and oil for lubrication, as well as byproducts used to make plastics, it would seem to me that there must be more energy produced than consumed.
One must figure in supertanker costs and fuel consumption. pipeline costs, offshore drilling rig costs, and other drilling costs.

Nevermind how stupid burning our food is... :cuckoo:

We don't have to spend trillions and thousands of lives defending our offshore ethanol supplies.
Seems to me like we have enough food.

We don't have to spend trillions and thousands of lives defending our offshore ethanol supplies.
Seems to me like we have enough food.

If we drilled here at home and off our own shores, then used the technology we have for exploration we coud tell those pajama wearing assholes where to stick it.

Before anything else we need to get rid of Obama... so 1st things 1st. :cool:

As with any (initial set up cost) in which are privy to some of these things in which you list, it is found that many times it is a one time cost for the set up, then it is all set to produce for years to come thus bringing that initial set up cost down as it goes, along with the daily operating cost that is being tweaked for maximum performance and cost savings by some very smart people for whom work on this stuff daily. The key is getting something fined tuned and running smoothly, then as time goes by the savings begin to roll in as the methods are perfected over time, where as these savings for production can be injected back into the cost of production, thus bringing down the cost for production, and then ultimately finding it's way to the consumers as is found in the final product that is put out to marketplace. Everyone use to win in the deal, until some got a bit greedy, and thus began making excuses or lies that skewed all the facts and meanings behind all of this stuff.

Hydro electric power is one of the most affordable eco friendly electricity to produce for the utilities, because when they use this method to produce it, they use natural forces and natural resources to do this method.

It is that because of the initial cost of the set up in which was paid for many years ago, and also that these Hydro's were tooled and built to last for hundreds of years as they have already, is why the utilities havn't abandoned this sound method as of yet. Hey if it works then why fix it right ? It amazes me how this nation has all of a sudden it seems anymore (GONE BONKERS) on all of these things in which we all talk about these days at the dinner table, where as it is like people will by a bridge in Arizona quickly now, especially if someone in which they have an acult attraction to, tells them to buy it.

Forum List

Back