How many times have you read the Bible?

How many times have you read the Bible all the way through?

• Total voters

Why would anyone read ANY book more than once?

That's retarded. What? you didn't GET IT the first time? You think by reading it again the characters will be different and there will be a different ending?

It's not like it's a movie where you do stand a chance of missing something and you see something new the second time you watch it.

It's a fucking book! It isn't moving! There is nothing preventing you from absorbing EVERYTHING in it.

Your question is stupid.

:chillpill::chillpill::chillpill: Take a couple of chill pills Huggy. Your wrong I have read it at least 5 times, some sections more then that, I get something different out of it every time.

Now don't you worry a single hair on your pretty little punkin head Violet..

HUGGY says alot of things just to get a response...most of it doesn't mean a thing!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PzL8aL6jtI]Tomorrow (annie) Lyrics - YouTube[/ame]

Tomorrow I start the book of Ezra:)

When I was eight, my grandmother gave me her brother's KJ version of the Bible; he had died at Belleau Wood in World War One. Every day since then, except for certain duties in the military, I have read three chapters OT and two chapters NT. I have come to value the concept of repeating cycles in human history on similar themes more than the end times British evangelical rapture theology of the last 150 years. Chapters in the first part of Isaiah, for example, are quite similar to our challenges in the last ten years. I find comfort knowing that all things we confront today have happened over and over before and that folks struggled with them then as well.

I have other favorites to read as well. Each year I read "Leaves of Grass", a preferred selection of Emily Dickinson, "The Iliad" (I am waiting Stephen Mitchell's translation), "Beowulf", Adventures of Huck Finn, and I always watch "To Kill A Mockingbird" on a family night in middle August with my children and their spouses. Grandchildren are admitted to the club at age thirteen. The first two complained only for the first fifteen minutes of the movie, then lorded it over the younger ones that they were not "old enough".

Last edited:

That's retarded. What? you didn't GET IT the first time? You think by reading it again the characters will be different and there will be a different ending?

It's not like it's a movie where you do stand a chance of missing something and you see something new the second time you watch it.

It's a fucking book! It isn't moving! There is nothing preventing you from absorbing EVERYTHING in it.

Your question is stupid.

Why do you watch a movie more than once? Is it going to end differently? Maybe a new character will show up?

I read books again because I like spending time with old friends, I rarely rewatch movies because movies are not as intellectually stimulating as a book.

All the way through? Twice. And because of my perspective at the time, it seemed to read differently.

Does that make any sense?

Your question is stupid.

Ever read the book by possible the greatest leader of American business ever?

"How to win friends and influence people."

he clearly recommends that you read it multiple times.

Only a fool reads a book of knowledge thinking he can one time it.

Remember who you are talking to.

I tend to read it over and over again because I tend to forget stories and how they relate to other parts of the bible. Not something I make a point in remembering. By the way, did you mean from cover to cover, or in terms of the books. If it is in terms of one sitting or a continued reading of the bible from cover to cover, then that is about 2 or 3 times and that was back in the 90's.

By the way, I tend to read the New American Bible(I think it is for Jehovah witnesses) versus the King James since the NAB is easier to read. Unfortunately, there are some differences between them that makes me more interested in gaining the original books since there may be a bias in translation.

Your question is stupid.

Why do you watch a movie more than once? Is it going to end differently? Maybe a new character will show up?

I read books again because I like spending time with old friends, I rarely rewatch movies because movies are not as intellectually stimulating as a book.

WOW! OK I give up on you. You are too stupid to have a dilogue with. If you cannot tell the difference between a movie and a book we are definitely wired differently.. Yours and my view of reality are so at odds that there is too little shared definition to base any communication on.

There is no god. Therefore there is no creation.

That is all.

Huggy feels empty inside. He's not, but he feels that he is, and that is called despair.

Must say I never heard that, perhaps its just Protestant propaganda? :eusa_hand:

Must be.

Pope Pius VII (1800-1823) denounced the Bible Society and expressed shock at the circulation of the Scriptures. Pius VII said, "It is evidence from experience, that the holy Scriptures, when circulated in the vulgar tongue, have, through the temerity of men, produced more harm than benefit." Pope Leo XII called the Protestant Bible the "Gospel of the Devil" in an encyclical letter of 1824. Pope Gregory XVI (1831-1846) railed "against the publication, distribution, reading, and possession of books of the holy Scriptures translated into the vulgar tongue."

Pope Leo XII, in January 1850, condemned the Bible Societies and admitted the fact that the distribution of Scripture has "long been condemned by the holy chair."

Wasn't too far wrong eh! :cuckoo:

Your question is stupid.

:chillpill::chillpill::chillpill: Take a couple of chill pills Huggy. Your wrong I have read it at least 5 times, some sections more then that, I get something different out of it every time.

Is that how you turned into a fairy :eek:

Huggy feels empty inside. He's not, but he feels that he is, and that is called despair.

How did you know??????? I did start to feel empty inside cuz I have been feedin the dogs. I hafta admitt I was gettin HUNGRY!!

I'll make a sammy!

Or I could put it off.

One of my buddies wants to take me to lunch an shoot some pool stick in an hour and a half.. They have great sammies at the bar he wants to take me to. Actually I will be takin him..He is gettin his car worked on at the dealership up the street and I hafta pick him up and kill some time while the car is gettin worked on..

I may even have a Caddilac Margurita.. That should take the edge off of all that despair!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Your question is stupid.

WOW! OK I give up on you. You are too stupid to have a dilogue with. If you cannot tell the difference between a movie and a book we are definitely wired differently.. Yours and my view of reality are so at odds that there is too little shared definition to base any communication on.

That is all.

I know the difference between movies and books, books are better. They give more details, develop characters in depth, flesh out plot lines, and generally give you a more fulfilling experience than a movie. More intelligent and informed people read than watch movies.

See, I told you I knew the difference.

That is all.

I know the difference between movies and books, books are better. They give more details, develop characters in depth, flesh out plot lines, and generally give you a more fulfilling experience than a movie. More intelligent and informed people read than watch movies.

OK...One more time..( why do I bother??? )

There is far more information in 10 seconds of a movie than a hundred pages in a book.

There is actually way too much information for the brain to proccess. A movie is like real life on steroids. In any scene there may be a hundred things in motion... dozens of items highlighted by the director and lighting to attract your attention to and away from important elements.

Even the best movie script is just an outline sketch. There are a million "stories" within the actual movie ..as in life..just amplified.

A book only has just so much space to create a vision where the bulk of the heavy lifting coloring in the details is left up to the reader.

So goes the bible. It actually has very little information..none of it factual. It depends on the reader to "read into the plot" what the reader WANTS it to mean.

Nevermind...you are "desperate" for the bible to be real. You are desperate for god to be real. You are desperate for the folk tale of a guy named jesus to honor all of the rediculous promises he supposedly made but not documented till well after his death. All the desperation on the planet can not make this fairy tale real.

I still have a profound sense that talking with you is a waste of tme.

Gotta go anyway.. my dancecard is already booked for the afternoon.

That is all.

OK...One more time..( why do I bother??? )

There is far more information in 10 seconds of a movie than a hundred pages in a book.

There is actually way too much information for the brain to proccess. A movie is like real life on steroids. In any scene there may be a hundred things in motion... dozens of items highlighted by the director and lighting to attract your attention to and away from important elements.

Even the best movie script is just an outline sketch. There are a million "stories" within the actual movie ..as in life..just amplified.

A book only has just so much space to create a vision where the bulk of the heavy lifting coloring in the details is left up to the reader.

So goes the bible. It actually has very little information..none of it factual. It depends on the reader to "read into the plot" what the reader WANTS it to mean.

Nevermind...you are "desperate" for the bible to be real. You are desperate for god to be real. You are desperate for the folk tale of a guy named jesus to honor all of the rediculous promises he supposedly made but not documented till well after his death. All the desperation on the planet can not make this fairy tale real.

I still have a profound sense that talking with you is a waste of tme.

Gotta go anyway.. my dancecard is already booked for the afternoon.

Do you think so?

Let us take a classic movie that most people have seen, and one I particularly like, 2001: A Space Odyssey. Pick any scene in the movie and compare it to the same scene in the book and you will see the book is far superior. The book allows the Clarke to use third person omniscient to explore what Bowman is thinking, and feeling, as he finds himself falling into the monolith and exploring all of space and time. It also allows Clarke to build tension by extrapolating into the future as we watch the Starchild prevent the nuclear war we do not learn about until the movie 2010 comes out years later.

In the movie all we see is Bowman bouncing around and looking confused as pretty lights shine on his visor.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLZdnR7Nkus"]2001: A Space Odyssey #1 Movie CLIP - Beyond the Infinite (1968) HD - YouTube[/ame]

By far more information is contained in a few pages of a book than the entire 3 minutes the movie devoted to this experience.

Last edited:
Books and movies enrich each other.

You can describe the beauty of a blue sky or sunset in a book till you are blue in the face....yet it will not match the true beauty of nature as a visual.

You can act emotional motivation till you are blue in the face...and yet if preformed badly will not match the depth of emotional intensity of the book

How did you know??????? I did start to feel empty inside cuz I have been feedin the dogs. I hafta admitt I was gettin HUNGRY!! I'll make a sammy! Or I could put it off. One of my buddies wants to take me to lunch an shoot some pool stick in an hour and a half.. They have great sammies at the bar he wants to take me to. Actually I will be takin him..He is gettin his car worked on at the dealership up the street and I hafta pick him up and kill some time while the car is gettin worked on.. I may even have a Caddilac Margurita.. That should take the edge off of all that despair!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Have all the sammies and beer you want because that is all you have in life. I don't mock you, simply recognize the emptiness of your existence.

How did you know??????? I did start to feel empty inside cuz I have been feedin the dogs. I hafta admitt I was gettin HUNGRY!! I'll make a sammy! Or I could put it off. One of my buddies wants to take me to lunch an shoot some pool stick in an hour and a half.. They have great sammies at the bar he wants to take me to. Actually I will be takin him..He is gettin his car worked on at the dealership up the street and I hafta pick him up and kill some time while the car is gettin worked on.. I may even have a Caddilac Margurita.. That should take the edge off of all that despair!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Have all the sammies and beer you want because that is all you have in life. I don't mock you, simply recognize the emptiness of your existence.

Thanks for your interest Jake..but I'll hafta pass on the diagnosis of someone that bases thier life's meaning on the info gleaned from a 2000 year old fairy tale.

That's fine, Huggy, but we will be concerned for you when you talk about matters you don't grasp.

That's fine, Huggy, but we will be concerned for you when you talk about matters you don't grasp.

So if I do not subscribe to your religious delusion you feel that justifies you assuming what I do or do not "grasp"? Your attitude towards others is circular and self serving.

You people read a lot more into a situation than there is. No...you do not have permision to include me in your fantasy. I'm not "missing" anything. All you people do is waste societies time with your nonsense. I am doing a much better service to humanity pointing out how foolish it is to piss away one's limited time on earth.

Forum List

Back