How Many On These Threads Make the 250 M Cuttoff

Discussion in 'Politics' started by rayboyusmc, Feb 26, 2009.

1. rayboyusmc

rayboyusmc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +338
    I am interested to see how many if any would be hit by taking the taxes back to what they were before Reagan and then Bush lowered the taxes on the richer folks.

Also someone post the data on how much the rich acutally pay percentage wise when they get done using their tax lawyers and loopholes.

Remember, most of the politicians who favor or oppose this move make this kind of money.

Make that 250 thousand.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  2. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    i make much less than $250 million a year. i don't think you'll find many here that don't.

3. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    I'm just a tad short of that mark.

4. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    a couple more coke cans oughta do it for me :lol:

5. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,123
    "M" means thousand. "MM" means million.

He's asking about the $250k threshold for tax increases.

6. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    ah, i've laways used k and m. live and learn.

7. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    Significantly less. Unlike you narrow minded, 'it doesn't effect me' folks some of us making far less than that still see the problems with it. First those people that make over 250k, they employ other people. You can argue all you like about what they will or won't do in their position but the FACT is if they have less money they CAN'T hire as many people, invest in as mich technology, or give raises.

This is kind of ridiculous premise too. Do you understand what you're really arguing, here? If you have a problem with people limiting their tax burden the opposite would be that you want people to actually find ways to give government as much money as possible. Our government has zero fiscal constraint, maybe the only way they will spend less is if we give them less. I have zero problem with someone, ANYONE, using as many tax breaks as they can.

With more money, comes more options in the simplest terms. More options to invest in assetts. Assetts bring in money. Stock is an assett for example. Just as an example say you bought stock in something and it doubled. Now there you can say you made lot of money. There's double what you put in waiting for you to take out. But it can't be counted as income until you do just that and thus it can't be taxed. The government can't tax what you dont' physically have. That's what wealthy people do, they understand money and are very good at keeping their realized income low. These are what you call tax loopholes.

The other ridiculous part about this argument goes back to your first sentence. Wouldn't all of us like to be in that position? But I guess i guy like you ray whos morals can change with which ever way the wind blows you would of course then be against all tax breaks of you were in the position to take them, right?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  8. rayboyusmc

rayboyusmc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +338

9. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,224
    What if by taxing the filthy rich, the treasury fills back up and instead of the debt getting bigger, it gets smaller? Since the politicians won't stop spending, then we should pay for what we spend. You can't suggest we pay more, can you?

And it isn't like Donald Trump is going to hire one more person if I give him a big tax break. He'll only hire more people if the economy is booming and a lot of people are buying homes. So maybe if we put things back to the way they were and end the Bush tax breaks, things will get better. They sure didn't help.

And I don't mind giving certain corporate tax breaks for hiring people. Just not a special tax that goes to the rich. Clearly we need the money.

And besides, I think with the UBS story and with the "most american companies pay zero taxes" stories we have heard this year and last year, I don't think the rich are paying nearly as much as they should be. They're dodging them left and right. Some say they don't pay any taxes. Only we pay taxes. Why do you not believe Leona Helmsley? Don't be a sucker.

10. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,224
    And funny the rich didn't feel sorry for people that made $30K and were paying $4 a gallon, so why should they feel sorry for people that make $250K?