How many galaxies are there?

images

Every estimate I've ever heard say either 100 or 200 billion galaxies. But that's in the 'observable universe.' And that's a mindblowing concept in and of itself.

Because we can't see further into space than about 13 billion light-years (which is the approximate age of the universe) because light needs that time to reach us, and the remaining distance is blocked from view by the cosmic background radiation (WMAP et al.,) though the universe is believed to be much larger than 13 billion light-years across (estimates vary but about 80 billion ly is the current guesstimate oweing to inflation,) we're stuck with only a fraction of the universe being viewable.

Awesome site here with a 'scale of the unievrse' thingy. From the size of time/space itself 'zooming' outwards to particles, atoms, human-level things, planets, stars, galaxies, galaxy-clusters, all the way to the 'observable universe' and beyond.

Scale of Universe - Interactive Scale of the Universe Tool

Last edited:
This of this for a moment.

Remember in Men in Black II what was in the locker?

What if that was true?

Think of it. What if each atom in your body was a universe?

Every estimate I've ever heard say either 100 or 200 billion galaxies. But that's in the 'observable universe.' And that's a mindblowing concept in and of itself.

Because we can't see further into space than about 13 billion light-years (which is the approximate age of the universe) because light needs that time to reach us, and the remaining distance is blocked from view by the cosmic background radiation (WMAP et al.,) though the universe is believed to be much larger than 13 billion light-years across (estimates vary but about 80 billion ly is the current guesstimate oweing to inflation,) we're stuck with only a fraction of the universe being viewable.

Awesome site here with a 'scale of the unievrse' thingy. From the size of time/space itself 'zooming' outwards to particles, atoms, human-level things, planets, stars, galaxies, galaxy-clusters, all the way to the 'observable universe' and beyond.

I started watching a documentary on the Big Bang Theory....
Not the comedy... Hheh hehh .Penny's HOT...

Anyway.I had to stop watching after about 10 minutes..
The stuff they were talking about blew my friggin mind.
They had a great group of astronomers explaining things and it was extrodinary.

It was unblievable how many stars were in the Milky Way galaxy alone.
Then they went on to say how many galaxies were in the universe...

Of course the numbers were in the billions.

An amazing show

It reminded me of a trip I took to Vermont.It was Summer and a clear night.
Living all my life in the city and to be in a place where the night sky was clear.

I never saw anything like it.
I just wanted to spend the rest of my life looking up at such an amazing site.
The stars in the sky seemed to go on forever.
Thousands and thousands whichever direction I looked.
I will never forget it. :D

An amazing show

Living all my life in the city and to be in a place where the night sky was clear.

If you ever get the chance, you need to come out to Eastern Oregon, in the high desert on a very still night. You can easily understand why so many desert cultures developed religions around astronomical observations.

An amazing show

If you ever get the chance, you need to come out to Eastern Oregon, in the high desert on a very still night. You can easily understand why so many desert cultures developed religions around astronomical observations.

Must be quite a sight.

BILLIONS!! AND ALL JUST ACCIDENTS of time and chance!!! NO PLAN,NO DESIGN =RIGHT FOOLS??? ROFLMAO!!!

BILLIONS!! AND ALL JUST ACCIDENTS of time and chance!!! NO PLAN,NO DESIGN =RIGHT FOOLS??? ROFLMAO!!!

Not accidents, but the random interaction of the Basic Laws of Nature. The plan or design is in those laws, the results may turn out differently. Not all galaxies, stars, planets or birds are all the same, right?

Forum List

Back