How is your English?

I think that thinking inside of the box is a better skill. fwiw, I only look at the applicant's experience, most of the rest of the resume usually turns out to be BS.

In a week, not in a weeks time, because I'm not sure if there should be an apostrophe there or not, and you eliminate fluff by paring it down. Also, a "week's time" is redundant. A week is time.

right, it needed an apostrophe... or in a week, as you stated.

I think that thinking inside of the box is a better skill. fwiw, I only look at the applicant's experience, most of the rest of the resume usually turns out to be BS.

Sssshhhhhh...don't tell anyone. I'm the master of resume frippery!

Do you know how the state views candidates' resumes and applications?

They see how many words from the job description match up with the words in the resume/application and go from there. Use the words on the description of the position, and describe yourself using the same terminology, including when you are describing your past experience.

Ok Ok, I'll be more specific.

In my line of work, I've developed a very comprehensive portfolio of MS Excel and Access models for every imaginable financial analysis application. I've perfected them over the years to be effectively plug-and-play and extremely flexible and easy to use. (how do you think I have all this extra time to goof off?) Anyway, I already articulated it in the technical skills section of my resume, but now I want to add a reference to one of them under my current job experience section. I want it to be clear that I implemented an application that "I brought with me to the job," Since it only took a week to implement an application even though it contained close to 1,000 man-hours of development.

How about something like:

Using an MS Excel algorithm of my own design, we bla bla bla*

* (you may want o be somewhat more specific about the benefits gained, of course.)

to me, that's a given...thinking inside of the box....

outside of the box, to me, goes with the saying....

nothing ventured, nothing gained.....

someone who is willing to take a calculated risk, an entrepreneur, can be more valuable than the "yes man" inside of the box....

though, i do believe that BOTH types of employees are needed as spokes in the wheel to make it turn....

those that have the ''can do'' attitude, letting no wall stand in the way, are truly the ones that advances our country and our country's businesses imo....and more rare, than those that go their whole lives, in the safety of being, inside the box....

I had an old boss tell me this, early on in my career, and i guess it just stuck...

care

Last edited:

I've been trying to think inside the box my whole damned life.

How the hell did you people get into that box anyway?

to me, that's a given...thinking inside of the box....

outside of the box, to me, goes with the saying....

nothing ventured, nothing gained.....

someone who is willing to take a calculated risk, an entrepaneur, can be more valuable than the "yes man" inside of the box....

though, i do believe that BOTH types of employees are needed as spokes in the wheel to make it turn....

those that have the ''can do'' attitude, letting no wall stand in the way, are truly the ones that advances our country and our country's businesses imo....and more rare, than those that go their whole lives, in the safety of being, inside the box....

I had an old boss tell me this, early on in my career, and i guess it just stuck...

care
I meant one that can get the job done despite the restrictions of the box. Because there is always a box.

That cliché, "to think outside the box" is so trite that whenever I hear it being used, I assume the person using it must be incapable of thinking outside the box.

No offense, Care. ;)

That cliché, "to think outside the box" is so trite that whenever I hear it being used, I assume the person using it must be incapable of thinking outside the box.

No offense, Care. ;)

:lol:

Even more cliché than "synergies" and "paradigm shift" :rofl:

Poor Soggy is avoiding this thread like the plague. Methinks he's still studying up on the IRS definition of an employee.:eusa_whistle:

No offense, Care. ;)
i don't necessarily disagree, and i was STUCK too, with the 'lack of a better word or words'....

and the term does not need to be used, just giving examples of the brick walls one was up against, and the sollution one developed to break through those walls, with the monitary value of such, should be enough, without any of those embellishments mentioned, including my own cliche, of ''thinking outside of the box''.....

anyway, one resume, is not good enough....it needs to be tailored towards the job opening....it could be that all they want and need is a pencil pusher, not an entrepreneur....tailor the resume to meet such...a team player, inside the box! :D

care

No, I take that back. I thought the Trees was written by someone else but I guess not.

Forum List

Back