How is your English?

Yeah, but it kind of implies that you own it and will take it with you (away from them) when you leave.

Not to mention it's kind of anal.

think I could make "proprietary" work?

is self-proprietary a word?

thoughts?

No, don't use that word. It sounds officious and I don't think it's the word you want to use. I'm telling you, use developed, and later implemented. It says exactly what you did and paints a picture without the necessity of using a dictionary to figure it out.

People don't get this. Less is more in writing. You aren't going to impress people by using words they don't know, or which you are using improperly, or are awkward, self-conscious, or officious. Use clean straightforward language in resumes and journalism.

If you want to flower it up, write poetry or bad period novels.

Yeah, I think you're right.

I think I'll just have to work around it somehow.
Why don't you freelance? It seems to me that once you cleaned a company up, you'd be left twiddling your thumbs.

If you're an illegal, I could keep you busy for a couple of weeks, sigh. My excel skills are barely above the mental retardation level.

People don't get this. Less is more in writing. You aren't going to impress people by using words they don't know, or which you are using improperly, or are awkward, self-conscious, or officious. Use clean straightforward language in resumes and journalism.
heh, I've been telling him that all along.

Why don't you freelance? It seems to me that once you cleaned a company up, you'd be left twiddling your thumbs.

I do freelance stuff on the side.

It seems to me that once you cleaned a company up, you'd be left twiddling your thumbs.

Yup.

But now I'm looking to take the next leap in my career and go from phenominally productive individual contributor to manager of plebes. :cool:

Sweet! Resume now officially current!

The only thing left to decide is whether to keep or 86 the objective statement. I'm waiting to see what our resident HR expert (Shogun) has to say about them.

According to my research there is no real concensus. But one site said a good one can really help, but a crappy one can get you tossed aside immediately. A bit of high risk/high return gambit.

you need to say that you excel in thinking out side of the box, and have even created/developed softwear solving X problems or improving X conditions, where you were able to implement in a week's time, once given the go ahead, which has saved the company X amount of time or X amount of money.

don't give an asset, without giving an example of the money or time it would save the company..... money talks, to most companies hiring.

Last edited:
Yikes. Software, Care!

Okay, I'm having flashbacks to journalism days which I'm trying really hard to forget.

you need to say that you excel in thinking out side of the box, and have even created/developed softwear solving X problems or improving X conditions, where you were able to implement in a weeks time, once given the go ahead, which has saved the company X amount of time or X amount of money.

don't give an asset, without giving an example of the money or time it would save the company..... money talks, to most companies hiring.

Oh yeah, I got that part down. Every accomplishment on my resume includes something about time saved, money saved or money earned.

In a week, not in a weeks time, because I'm not sure if there should be an apostrophe there or not, and you eliminate fluff by paring it down. Also, a "week's time" is redundant. A week is time.

Forum List

Back