How does the GOP explain Kansas???

Which five polls are those and whats the spread?

I would assume that his "polls" are from the "reputable" sources like MSNBC and the Huffington Post.

Look, Kansas citizens voted for that idiot Sebiellus as Governor. When she left DC the good folks of Kansas asked her to NOT come back. :D

Talk about a turd in a punchbowl...........

Oh, you mean the Sebiellus who lead the state to a budget surplus and was term limited anyway? lol.

and since you apparently missed it:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...s_governor_brownback_vs_davis-4146.html#polls

“For the second straight month, the State has set a new record high for the number of people working. This, along with other growth indicators, signifies employers’ increasing demand for labor and Kansans’ confidence in the economy,” said Justin McFarland, Director, Labor Market Information Services.

Not seasonally adjusted figures show Kansas gained 12,400 private sector and 11,900 nonfarm jobs since May 2013, an increase of 1.1 and 0.9 percent respectively. Since last month, Kansas gained 6,100 private sector jobs, a 0.5 percent increase, and 5,800 nonfarm jobs, a 0.4 percent improvement.

The not seasonally adjusted unemployment rate was 4.7 percent, up from 4.4 percent in April and down from 5.5 percent in May 2013.

“The labor force participation rate has rebounded quite well in 2014,” said Tyler Tenbrink, Senior Labor Economist. “At the end of 2013, 67.5 percent of the civilian population (age 16 and over) participated in the labor force. In May, that number had increased to 68.3 percent. This is over 20,000 additional people working or looking for work in the State.”

There were 12,518 initial claims for unemployment benefits in May 2014, up from 10,186 initial claims in April 2014 and down from 15,348 last year. There were 76,255 continued claims in May 2014, down from 77,722 the previous month and down from 106,775 in May 2013. These numbers include all available programs.

How about correlation doesn't prove causality? A run of bad luck? Obama? The Federal Reserve?

Benghazi?

Global cooling?

I give up. How?

Who would've thought??? Cutting taxes would turn a surplus into a deficit???

MATH IS TOO HARD!!

If I'm recalling it right, the larger state economies were the ones hit the hardest and the ones that lagged the most in recovery. It may be the mix of industries.

Primary Agriculture:
A leading wheat-growing state, Kansas also raises corn, sorghums, oats, barley, soybeans, and potatoes.

Primary Industry:
Kansas stands high in petroleum production and mines zinc, coal, salt, and lead. It is also the nation's leading producer of helium. Wichita is one of the nation's leading aircraft-manufacturing centers, ranking first in production of private aircraft.

To really know what causal factors are requires rolling up one's sleeves and getting knee deep in the data.

One website says that Kansas has a large automotive manufacturing industry. How that has compared to Michigan might be revealing.

The percentage dedicated to agriculture probably has a big effect. People generally don't cut back on food as much as other goods. Then there is the effect of Fed programs food and ag programs.

How about correlation doesn't prove causality? A run of bad luck? Obama? The Federal Reserve?

Benghazi?

Global cooling?

I give up. How?

MATH IS TOO HARD!!

If I'm recalling it right, the larger state economies were the ones hit the hardest and the ones that lagged the most in recovery. It may be the mix of industries.

Primary Agriculture:
A leading wheat-growing state, Kansas also raises corn, sorghums, oats, barley, soybeans, and potatoes.

Primary Industry:
Kansas stands high in petroleum production and mines zinc, coal, salt, and lead. It is also the nation's leading producer of helium. Wichita is one of the nation's leading aircraft-manufacturing centers, ranking first in production of private aircraft.

To really know what causal factors are requires rolling up one's sleeves and getting knee deep in the data.

One website says that Kansas has a large automotive manufacturing industry. How that has compared to Michigan might be revealing.

The percentage dedicated to agriculture probably has a big effect. People generally don't cut back on food as much as other goods. Then there is the effect of Fed programs food and ag programs.

2012-2014 has seen the economy for the rest of the country on the upswing (compared to 2009-2011). Kansas has gone in reverse direction. Their job growth is lagging the rest of the country and they went from surplus to deficit and have crushed funding for public schools.

The "only thing" that could explain the backtracking of Kansas compared to the rest of the country are state policies, especially the faltering budget, and especially on changes as steep as those enacted by Brownback.

If you want to live in total denial that what Brownback did wasn't destructive and it was "some other mystic force at work" then that's fine. But just to warn you the numbers really aren't on your side here.

Rural states, like Kansas, tend to have both lower cost of living and lower wages than the national average. The interesting effect is that costs fall more deeply than wages. I haven't figured out if that equates to a better standard of living. Sure seems like it should.

That deficit spending by the governor, combined with the improved employment sure seems to make the case for Keyenes. Imagine how well they'de have done if the hadn't cut back on education and infrastructure. That'll bite em in the ass later.

Rural states, like Kansas, tend to have both lower cost of living and lower wages than the national average. The interesting effect is that costs fall more deeply than wages. I haven't figured out if that equates to a better standard of living. Sure seems like it should.

That deficit spending by the governor, combined with the improved employment sure seems to make the case for Keyenes. Imagine how well they'de have done if the hadn't cut back on education and infrastructure. That'll bite em in the ass later.

He wasn't "deficit spending" he was cutting taxes for the rich and businesses and cutting spending on public schools. He didn't increase spending on anything.

Let me guess...you want to give rich people even more and cut more out from the poor and middle class?

Last edited:

The bizarre nature of GOP explanations always makes them "hilarious" no matter the subject. I especially like, "Supply and demand" is a wild liberal theory.

Every time Republicans are in control it's a total disaster.

Hmmm.... really?

These Are The Best And Worst US States For Small Business - Business Insider

economist-small-business-map.jpg

He wasn't "deficit spending" he was cutting taxes for the rich and businesses and cutting spending on public schools. He didn't increase spending on anything.

Let me guess...you want to give rich people even more and cut more out from the poor and middle class?

Spending for the 2012-2013 school year averaged $12,781 per-pupil, as reported by the Kansas Department of Education. That's a lot more than the average European country spends on education and yet their children are far better educated than ours. Money is not the problem with education in this country. Never has been and it's not now.

Kansas School District Spending Per Pupil

You are going by Article "Title" and a very limited map. The article doesn't even define small business. And check out this quote:

A gourmet-food-truck fad began in Los Angeles with $2 Korean tacos in 2008, and has thrived because the city is flexible about where such trucks can park.

The map shows California as being terrible but uses California as a "good example"?

...and worse happens when Ds are in control, but you can't see that due to your crazy partisan beliefs.

Both parties suck and both are responsible for the terrible state of our nation.

All this partisan dogma is merely a smoke screen and it dupes millions.

Indeed. I give you Kalifornia...........

Oh yeah, California, where the Democrats entered in 2013 with a deficit and increased taxes on the rich and are now in surplus

History is always being rewritten by democrats, so be the case in CA. A one year spike that is all.

California's Non-Comeback

Such is the downward budget spiral that California has set itself up for once again. Tax revenues spiked this year, but what about next year, or three to five years from now? The highest personal-income-tax rate in the nation, when coupled with a shrinking tax base, leads to a dire prognosis for California's fiscal health in the future.

Here's a little suggestion for you Alinsky - go check the stats. You're making yourself look as stupid as you are.

That is easy for him, don't challenge him it's embarrassing...

His Saul Alinsky bullshit is getting old.....

Very true...

Texas job growth under Perry is amazing...

But I am sure they will try and tear it down...

He is a child with no clue...

Pretty amazing he can put words together...

MATH IS TOO HARD!!

Primary Agriculture:

Primary Industry:

2012-2014 has seen the economy for the rest of the country on the upswing (compared to 2009-2011). Kansas has gone in reverse direction. Their job growth is lagging the rest of the country and they went from surplus to deficit and have crushed funding for public schools.

The "only thing" that could explain the backtracking of Kansas compared to the rest of the country are state policies, especially the faltering budget, and especially on changes as steep as those enacted by Brownback.

If you want to live in total denial that what Brownback did wasn't destructive and it was "some other mystic force at work" then that's fine. But just to warn you the numbers really aren't on your side here.

You talking to me? I'm just looking for fact. I can't find any emprate, which I consider important. The labor force pàrticipation rate looks good.

Dou you have any historical data comparing the UE to national EU?

Surely you realize that as employment gets closer to maximum, job growth has to slow down. Also, if Kansas was one of those states that wasn't hit as hard, it would have a UE that is better than the national average for no other reason except that they weren't hit as hard. Its always easy to be in front when you start in front.

State economies are complex and no single measure is going to serve as a measure. And all states are different s no single measure is going to reasonably compare them

Last edited:

Oh yeah, California, where the Democrats entered in 2013 with a deficit and increased taxes on the rich and are now in surplus

History is always being rewritten by democrats, so be the case in CA. A one year spike that is all.

California's Non-Comeback

Such is the downward budget spiral that California has set itself up for once again. Tax revenues spiked this year, but what about next year, or three to five years from now? The highest personal-income-tax rate in the nation, when coupled with a shrinking tax base, leads to a dire prognosis for California's fiscal health in the future.

I always find it curious how some people present taxes, debt and deficit as if they are summarily bad.

Last edited:
...and worse happens when Ds are in control, but you can't see that due to your crazy partisan beliefs.

Both parties suck and both are responsible for the terrible state of our nation.

Yeah those CA State Income Taxes up to 13.3%, makes me want to move there...

Are you serious? :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu:

Why is it the left always thinks a state needs to run a surplus, unless they can't like California and in that case they need to run a deficit.

Why is it the left can never just accept what the tax income is and the states need to live within that means? A state should never run a surplus. If they have a surplus they need to give that money back through tax breaks. If they have a deficit they can raise the tax to cover it.

I've never seen a blue state run a surplus. Yet they want to make fun of a state that did as the example of why taxes can't be cut. Kansas is doing just fine. They may make a few adjustments but in the end it will all equal out.

is that what they told you?.....try questioning things.....

Jerry Brown Stands Atop California's Collapsing House Of Cards - Forbes

i have seen this same thing ^ said by more than one person....so i guess we will see wont we....

The bizarre nature of GOP explanations always makes them "hilarious" no matter the subject. I especially like, "Supply and demand" is a wild liberal theory.

your explanations for things are pretty hilarious too Dean....

They are?:lol::lol::lol:

transparent2.gif

State of California Debt Clock

Forum List

Back