How Does Teacher Tenure and Seniority Help Students?

Tenure is given out to any teacher according to longevity and passing observations. That is too easy. I believe is should be given to teachers with experience and passing Praxis Observations. That is where a Praxis Field Observer comes in and observes and evaluates the teachers on a series of outcomes. ONly the highest performing teachers are then given tenure. This Praxis Observer should be used every 5 to 7 years.

Actually, there is no evidence that certification of teachers, education classes, etc. had any real effect on student learning.

Best would be comparing the test results of each teacher's students.

How bout this? We privatize education and charge each child a minimum of $30,000 per year. Works for me.

Tenure is given out to any teacher according to longevity and passing observations. That is too easy. I believe is should be given to teachers with experience and passing Praxis Observations. That is where a Praxis Field Observer comes in and observes and evaluates the teachers on a series of outcomes. ONly the highest performing teachers are then given tenure. This Praxis Observer should be used every 5 to 7 years.
Interesting.

I believe there should be NO tenure, and teachers should have to earn their job year to year just like everyone else

Perhaps the failure lies in the probationary period evaluation? If schools are rampant with tenured teachers that are incompetent, why? How many probationary teachers get tenure and they should not? Teachers with tenure are removed every day in America but many administrators do not want the hassle, so they leave the problem for the next administrator. How do you prove a teacher is incompetent after they have taught for many years, is the fight worth it? What is the usual procedure for evaluating probationary teachers? Is there a sure-fire system for evaluating teachers correctly, or is it based mostly on opinion?
Anyone that has taught probably has an inkling of the school politics; they know the political leanings of the administrators and the school district.
Perhaps the best method of avoiding the pressure of the school politics is to get your doctorate, get tenure and teach at the university level. That's probably the best position to be free to actually teach. There is the feeling that as one goes up the grade level he or she is treated more as an adult and as more competent, if true, poor kindergarten teachers.

Perhaps the failure lies in the probationary period evaluation? If schools are rampant with tenured teachers that are incompetent, why? How many probationary teachers get tenure and they should not? Teachers with tenure are removed every day in America but many administrators do not want the hassle, so they leave the problem for the next administrator. How do you prove a teacher is incompetent after they have taught for many years, is the fight worth it? What is the usual procedure for evaluating probationary teachers? Is there a sure-fire system for evaluating teachers correctly, or is it based mostly on opinion?
Anyone that has taught probably has an inkling of the school politics; they know the political leanings of the administrators and the school district.
Perhaps the best method of avoiding the pressure of the school politics is to get your doctorate, get tenure and teach at the university level. That's probably the best position to be free to actually teach. There is the feeling that as one goes up the grade level he or she is treated more as an adult and as more competent, if true, poor kindergarten teachers.

That is true, I mean how especially trained do you really have to be to teach kindergarten?

Myself, I believe that from preschool to the 3rd grade w could go with a "pod system" of teaching where we have say up to four classes in each grade ( so say up to 80 kids) with each "pod" of 20 kids being monitored by a licensed aid (who wouldn't even really need to have a college degree) with 1 teacher overseeing the entire "pod"

schools could save thousands of dollars a year.

Interesting.

I believe there should be NO tenure, and teachers should have to earn their job year to year just like everyone else

Did you know that the idea of tenure was a Liberal inception, based on their desire to slander minorities?

Interesting.

Did you know that the idea of tenure was a Liberal inception, based on their desire to slander minorities?
No, I didn't know that, I always thought it had something to do with civil service, and now you say it's purpose was to slander minorities. Wow.

Interesting.

No, I didn't know that, I always thought it had something to do with civil service, and now you say it's purpose was to slander minorities. Wow.

And, you know....I can always back up what I say.

Forum List

Back