How Do You Lose Weight?

In the past I followed diets and instructions, eat a specific amount of carbonhydrates as percentage of total food intake and other instructions.
After a while you see what works for you.

My best results I had with eating just tuna, low fat curd cheese and drinking normal water. The only disadvantage was cramps IMMEDIATELY after waking up, so I took additional Magnesium.
Diets are only a transition phase, after you reached your wished weight level, you should focus on a healthy nutrition plan, which is not too laborious. Otherwise you will fall into old eating behaviours.
In my opinion it does not matter how many times you eat a day. There are the adherents of 3 or 5 meals-a-day theory. For me, it did not make and still does not make any difference. But, you should eat after waking up in the morning to get your metabolism going.

If you have chronical fatigue and no joy for sports, you should let the doctor check your blood levels.
If you talk with a druggist|pharmacist about fatigue, he probably will come up with absence of iron and will advice you to make a 1 month charge phase of Iron as a supplementation.
Probably he will also advise you to buy Vitamine B-* .
But he wont tell you, that orally taken it has a poor effeciency factor.
But iron is good for chronical fatigue and sleepiness.

Jesus H. Christ, ekrem, this diet is devoid of any fruits or veggies? You'll come down with scruvy if you're not careful. Are you at least taking a good multi-vitamin?

Jesus H. Christ, ekrem, this diet is devoid of any fruits or veggies? You'll come down with scruvy if you're not careful. Are you at least taking a good multi-vitamin?

As I said, diets are only a transition phase. I do it mostly in February or March.
The other months of the year, except for Ramadan I have a highly regulated and monoton eating plan.
Fruits I eat as breakfast, the dried ones, because I cant eat much in the morning and dried fruits are small but still have high energy and nutrition values.

As I said, diets are only a transition phase. I do it mostly in February or March.
The other months of the year, except for Ramadan I have a highly regulated and monoton eating plan.
Fruits I eat as breakfast, the dried ones, because I cant eat much in the morning and dried fruits are small but still have high energy and nutrition values.

Why dried rather than fresh, ekrem? Just a preference? I don't suppose you drink alcohol, either.

Must be nice to live someplace where very few mature men have beer guts.

Why dried rather than fresh, ekrem? Just a preference? I don't suppose you drink. Must be nice to live somewhere that very few mature men have beer guts.

Detailed alcohole statistics in 2003-2010 in Turkey from Tobocca and Alcohole Regularity Authority
http://www.tapdk.gov.tr/alkol/istatistik/alkollu_icki_piyasa_arz_2003_2010.xls

Efes is Europes 5th biggest and worlds 12th biggest beer brewer and has a market share of 82 % in Turkey
Efes Beverage Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I dont drink, not because of religion, but it does not taste my tongue.

Ever wanted to take off a few pounds? Were you successful? Let's discuss diet and weight loss, guys.

I have tried every theory of weight loss or weight maintenance under the sun. (I've been "naturally skinny" all my life until the past five years or so, and have grown a tad fluffy with time.) In my 20's my doctor gave me speed -- man, that works like a charm! The guy who invents an appetite suppressant that has no bad side effects will make a fortune, and I gather they are making some progress that-a-way.

In my 30's I tried exercise. I was diligent as hell...seven days a week, mostly strength training. Never lost an ounce nor did I become any stronger. Exercise is unbeatable for stress management, though, I will say that much.

In my 40's keeping weight on was the problem, not getting it off. I blame the yo-yo hormones a lady has at an older age for this. Unfortunately, "skinny" is a bad look for an older lady.

Now, I am kinda sorta just watching what I eat, walking every day, blah blah blah. I'd like to take off about 15 lbs and nothing is happening. I'm beginning to think it's because I am meant to have the extra padding.

What say you? Ever wondered if the diet gurus are full of shit?

Madeline, I have just come in and read your comments about weight loss, but haven't had time to read the others, so forgive any repeats..lol

I am very weight/health conscious and eat to live rather than the reverse. In order not to gain weight I have to keep calories, around 1200 a day and those have to be low in fat. I do however, gain that dreaded 3 lbs occasionally and the fastest way [for me] to get it off is the Atkins Diet. I go on that for 3 to 5 days, only and limit my carb count daily to 10, rather than the recommended 20 for a first week on that diet. The weight falls off very fast. I also drink 12 glasses of water a day, which I would anyway. It is very difficult for me to lose weight and easy to gain. That diet lets one have fatty foods in huge proportions but one will crave sweets, even if you didn't before. I chew Extra sugarfree gum and that corrects that challenge. One has to be be fastidious on that diet. You will gain a couple back so I strive for a 5 lb. weight loss. When you go off that diet you have to keep everything low in calories and fat and I rarely eat meat or fatty foods anyway and rarely fried. About twice a year.

So after the diet or anytime, if I am craving a pizza or pasta, I grab one or both of those in Lean Cuisine or Weightwatchers and then my craving for those goes away.

I also race walk every day with four pounds of weights in my hands, just for general health.

Good luck with your weight loss, sweetie. It CAN be done. It is hell though...:lol: But you will love what you see in the mirror, with or without clothes .....*W00* And the most important thing, you will FEEL light and wonderful. :)

Last edited:
Ya, the added weight is annoying. I am never not aware of it, and my body feels as alien to me as it did when I was preggers. I think part of the obstacle in my path is just that -- that I have been slim for so long with zero effort on my part. The business of monitoring my food intake is so unnatural to me, and I never acquired super-healthy eating habits.

I gotta say though, AquaAthena, 1200 calories a day seems extremely low to me as a maintenance plan. Are you especially little bitty-ish? I'd guess my maintenance intake is somewhere around 2000.

But hey, I have already posted: do what works for you and your body. Fuck the NIH. I'm sure it's more than possible to eat a balanced menu on 1200 calories, so go for it.

LOL Annie...I thought you had scored some yummy low-cal chocolate!

No such thing. Have you seen those '100 calorie' chocolate bars at Trader Joe's? I'd eat 10 of them in 2 minutes!

Ya, the added weight is annoying. I am never not aware of it, and my body feels as alien to me as it did when I was preggers. I think part of the obstacle in my path is just that -- that I have been slim for so long with zero effort on my part. The business of monitoring my food intake is so unnatural to me, and I never acquired super-healthy eating habits.

I gotta say though, AquaAthena, 1200 calories a day seems extremely low to me as a maintenance plan. Are you especially little bitty-ish? I'd guess my maintenance intake is somewhere around 2000.

But hey, I have already posted: do what works for you and your body. Fuck the NIH. I'm sure it's more than possible to eat a balanced menu on 1200 calories, so go for it.

Thanks Madeline, for your post. I did ask my Dr. about that 1200 calorie a day and at my height of 5'7." I told him that I eat foods that are healthy for me only and take a multi-vitamin daily. He said his wife also lives on that many calories. I have always weighed myself every morning, after wakening nude, and voiding and if my weight has gone up by 3 pounds, I am ON The Atkins Plan..lol. I also love the fatty foods I can have on that because I would never otherwise eat them..lol. So it is not a diet I dread having to be on. I would if it were long term and I doubt that it is recommended for people with heart problems or high cholesterol. This diet I go on, is not a heart healthy diet, if for too long.

When one thinks of the possible consequences of carrying too much weight, i.e., diabetes, heart and stroke problems, cancer, one would be wise to forego the moment of cravings, which turns into only a memory, and choose a healthy choce instead. It all depends on how and when you wish to die, and for that, we really never know. But as I have read, thin ppl live longer. Also it is with such freedom to move about, that I love staying thin to average, for my height and to know that I am trying as hard as I can to be my bodies best friend. :)

Drink lots of water , 8 to 10 glasses per day..stay away from diet and regular sodas. Decrease salt intake.

Good luck Madeline

Drink lots of water , 8 to 10 glasses per day..stay away from diet and regular sodas. Decrease salt intake.

Good luck Madeline

I hate hate hate water. I have to really force myself and I never come anywhere near 8 glasses. *Sighs*

I dun want this thread to turn all gross, but does anyone think colon cleansing is a legitimate weight loss aid or is it just nonsense?

I hate hate hate water. I have to really force myself and I never come anywhere near 8 glasses. *Sighs*

I dun want this thread to turn all gross, but does anyone think colon cleansing is a legitimate weight loss aid or is it just nonsense?

Not an expert on this, by any stretch, but wouldn't that be a quick fix? Eating proper foods, drinking lots of (sorry) water, fiber, roughage, exercise ... those are lifelong things that will improve colon health, as I understand it.

Not according to the infomercials, Phoenix.

*Laughs*

It's likely utter nonsense, but I was curious if anyone believed in it. Most likely, it's up there with adrenal fatigue and phrenology.

Not according to the infomercials, Phoenix.

*Laughs*

It's likely utter nonsense, but I was curious if anyone believed in it. Most likely, it's up there with adrenal fatigue and phrenology.

That's why you have to eat Activia. I have it on good authority that Gunny buys it by the case. He likes the commercials a lot. :eusa_shhh:

Good luck Madeline

I don't know about the cleaning thingy, but doubtful. Temporary if anything. BUT I do know that I drink 9 to 12 glasses of water a day and the only way to do that is from a bottle. I could never do it if I had to fill a glass and down it. I have a Brita fiter system and just keep filling the bottle. Three to four x's a day. It goes down so easy and becomes a great little healthy habit. Two cups of caffeine and lots of water are the only beverages I consume in a day. Carbonated anything, makes one's body hold salt and is not good for weight loss. [sometimes I will have about 6 ounces of wine] [white wine has fewer carbs than red] *Bygones to this topic* :lol:

LOL Annie...I thought you had scored some yummy low-cal chocolate!

If you really crave something "naughty", like chocolate or whatever, treat yourself to it once in a while. The more forbidden you make it, the more likely you are to end up bingeing on it. Often, you'll discover that all you really wanted was the taste.

I'm not a big candy person, but I really love Lindor Truffles, the Strachiatelli flavor. Rather than make a big deal out of "No, no, I can't have them, they're BAAAAAAD!" I treat myself to one - only one - every time I shop at Joann's Crafts or Border's Bookstore, two stores I frequent that sell them individually at the checkout counter. I get a special little boost to my day, and I don't shop at those stores so often that it's going to actually be a problem.

I love baked goods - cake or certain kinds of pies, for example - but they're all kinds of bad for my weight. Once a month, I meet friends for dinner at a restaurant that has really good desserts. That one day, I eat a little lighter, have a good salad for dinner, and then treat myself to a really naughty dessert. It's a special occasion, and it relieves the desire to waste my daily calories on inferior sweets the rest of the time.

You must have missed my thread about ask GT anything about diet and exercise.

You need to find your homeo-stasis, FIRST.

That's the amount of fat, carbs, sugars, drinks, etc. you eat or drink during about a 1-week period that keeps your weight the SAME.

Then, do some math:

Carbohydrates are what you use as energy; however, if you're looking to burn fat you must deplete your carbohydrates first...........because they're the primary source of said energy, and then your body will begin to eat its fat reserves.

It's simple: the less carbs you eat, the faster your "exercises" dip into your stored fat cells as an energy source.

That doesn't mean go Atkins, because Fiber is also important.........Fiber's a carb. I have a few diets designed with the perfect balance but I'm not sure how "serious" you're trying to be.

Last edited:
Also the wisdom about "rapid weight loss = bad," can be true.........but it's not always necessarily true.

If you.......say...............for a quick fix, or "jump-start," to weight loss, cut carb and fat extremely low.......................

then when you got to where you wanted to be..........

cycle the correct carbs, and the correct fats........back on, strategically, over some time.....

then the initial weight-loss will be sustained and you can brag how quick it was.

if you simply just start eating normal again.......off the bat, you're effed, because your metabolism is on a different course than handling all of that.

You must have missed my thread about ask GT anything about diet and exercise.

You need to find your homeo-stasis, FIRST.

That's the amount of fat, carbs, sugars, drinks, etc. you eat or drink during about a 1-week period that keeps your weight the SAME.

Then, do some math:

Carbohydrates are what you use as energy; however, if you're looking to burn fat you must deplete your carbohydrates first...........because they're the primary source of said energy, and then your body will begin to eat its fat reserves.

It's simple: the less carbs you eat, the faster your "exercises" dip into your stored fat cells as an energy source.

That doesn't mean go Atkins, because Fiber is also important.........Fiber's a carb. I have a few diets designed with the perfect balance but I'm not sure how "serious" you're trying to be.

I am not gaining weight. I would guess I am losing a wee bit gradually...I'm like some of the other ladies and dun weigh myself. Instead, I gauge it by how my jeans fit. I'm good on carbs and fat; it's sugar that is my downfall. I know there's fat in chocolate but not enough in one Pepperidge Farms Mint Milano cookie to matter -- but man, is there ever sugar.

I do appreciate having someone I can ask anything of! Experts are great, he he he.

Burn off more than you eat, or eat less than you burn off but keep in mind that some people geneticaly have a fat arse

Forum List

Back