How Do You Lose Weight?

For all of you (us) who might have a slight (ahem) weight problem, I strongly recommend the following: "Rethinking Thin" by (ready for this?) Gina Kolata. The author's name might be humorous, but the book is not. Anyone who has ever fought the Battle of the Bulge MUST read this book. It is a profound and very enlightening book on a scientific study done by the author on the causes of weight gain and what we can reasonably expect to do about the problem.

The answers will surprise you. The book is an easy read - and highly informative. Please read it.

Sneak Preview: Diets don't work - at least, not in the long term.

I use a combination of things.

Started with the Wii Fit program. Weigh myself daily and did aerobic workouts starting January 2nd. Some indoor track walking two or three days a week. That did a lot of good. As this was happening I made sure to understand what I was eating. No diets. Discovered sour cream had less calories than butter on a baked potato, Taco Bell salads have 800 calories v. a turkey and ham 310 calorie sub at Subway. In this way, I don't have a diet to end. My landscape work took over in the late Spring through early fall. Now I'm back to walking and startin Wii aerobics soon. Limit high calorie drinks. Results are 40 pounds lost to date. Should be at 50 by Christmas.

Ever wanted to take off a few pounds? Were you successful? Let's discuss diet and weight loss, guys.

I have tried every theory of weight loss or weight maintenance under the sun. (I've been "naturally skinny" all my life until the past five years or so, and have grown a tad fluffy with time.) In my 20's my doctor gave me speed -- man, that works like a charm! The guy who invents an appetite suppressant that has no bad side effects will make a fortune, and I gather they are making some progress that-a-way.

In my 30's I tried exercise. I was diligent as hell...seven days a week, mostly strength training. Never lost an ounce nor did I become any stronger. Exercise is unbeatable for stress management, though, I will say that much.

In my 40's keeping weight on was the problem, not getting it off. I blame the yo-yo hormones a lady has at an older age for this. Unfortunately, "skinny" is a bad look for an older lady.

Now, I am kinda sorta just watching what I eat, walking every day, blah blah blah. I'd like to take off about 15 lbs and nothing is happening. I'm beginning to think it's because I am meant to have the extra padding.

What say you? Ever wondered if the diet gurus are full of shit?

Losing weight is not rocket science.

Take in less calories than you burn and you lose weight. How do you do that? 2 ways or a combination of the two ways.

1) Eat less
2) Excercise more
3) Eat less and excercise more.

Thats how you lose weight.....no other way to do it.

I use a combination of things.

Started with the Wii Fit program. Weigh myself daily and did aerobic workouts starting January 2nd. Some indoor track walking two or three days a week. That did a lot of good. As this was happening I made sure to understand what I was eating. No diets. Discovered sour cream had less calories than butter on a baked potato, Taco Bell salads have 800 calories v. a turkey and ham 310 calorie sub at Subway. In this way, I don't have a diet to end. My landscape work took over in the late Spring through early fall. Now I'm back to walking and startin Wii aerobics soon. Limit high calorie drinks. Results are 40 pounds lost to date. Should be at 50 by Christmas.

Yes, it is important to be educated. Until I was like 38 I did not know alcohol had calories in it (not that I drank much after college). Beer, yes, but vodka? I was stunned.

Forty pounds is huge! It is encouraging to hear from folks like you...thankies for posting, saveliberty.

Ever wanted to take off a few pounds? Were you successful? Let's discuss diet and weight loss, guys.

I have tried every theory of weight loss or weight maintenance under the sun. (I've been "naturally skinny" all my life until the past five years or so, and have grown a tad fluffy with time.) In my 20's my doctor gave me speed -- man, that works like a charm! The guy who invents an appetite suppressant that has no bad side effects will make a fortune, and I gather they are making some progress that-a-way.

In my 30's I tried exercise. I was diligent as hell...seven days a week, mostly strength training. Never lost an ounce nor did I become any stronger. Exercise is unbeatable for stress management, though, I will say that much.

In my 40's keeping weight on was the problem, not getting it off. I blame the yo-yo hormones a lady has at an older age for this. Unfortunately, "skinny" is a bad look for an older lady.

Now, I am kinda sorta just watching what I eat, walking every day, blah blah blah. I'd like to take off about 15 lbs and nothing is happening. I'm beginning to think it's because I am meant to have the extra padding.

Take in less calories than you burn and you lose weight. How do you do that? 2 ways or a combination of the two ways.

1) Eat less
2) Excercise more

Clearly it's a helluva lot more complex than this for most folks, PLYMCO_PILGRIM. Your post reads as if you are blaming the obese for their weight, when in truth most obese people dedicate far more of their attention and effort to food monitoring and exercising than a normal weight person does. Something else may be going on that has fucked up that person's metabolism. As I said, prescription drugs are frequently at fault, especially in someone who becomes obese for the first time in adulthood.

For my wife, she had a hard time losing weight so far this year. I think it is because she was getting toned and muscle was going on was fat was coming off. Now she seems to have hit a spot where the scale is being her friend.

Eat less, do more.

It's not exactly rocket science.

Hummm, if this is true how do you explain the rising levels of obese and overweight people in the US, Mr. Clean? I'm willing to bet you've been a normal weight your entire life and have little patience for these folks as you see them as suffering from a self-inflicted injury.

Am I right?

1) Eat less
2) Excercise more

Clearly it's a helluva lot more complex than this for most folks, PLYMCO_PILGRIM. Your post reads as if you are blaming the obese for their weight, when in truth most obese people dedicate far more of their attention and effort to food monitoring and exercising than a normal weight person does. Something else may be going on that has fucked up that person's metabolism. As I said, prescription drugs are frequently at fault, especially in someone who becomes obese for the first time in adulthood.

My post reads very plainly. You can only lose weight by taking in less calories than you burn. Its simple science and there is no other way to do it.

If you think saying that is blaming someone then you are projecting your own thoughts onto my post.

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

My post reads very plainly. You can only lose weight by taking in less calories than you burn. Its simple science and there is no other way to do it.

If you think saying that is blaming someone then you are projecting your own thoughts onto my post.

You are surely aware of the rising bias -- even bigotry -- obese people face? I wonder how you explain the weight problems of an otherwise healthy adult woman, at least 100 lbs over her ideal weight, who subsists on 1500 calories a day and walks at least 7 miles each day? You have difficulty imagining the body can go haywire and weight gain can be involuntary....and I am curious as to why you have this blind spot, is all.

Drink lots of water , 8 to 10 glasses per day..stay away from diet and regular sodas. Decrease salt intake.

Good luck Madeline

I hate hate hate water. I have to really force myself and I never come anywhere near 8 glasses. *Sighs*

I dun want this thread to turn all gross, but does anyone think colon cleansing is a legitimate weight loss aid or is it just nonsense?

I don't think it necessarily has to be plain water. I hate drinking plain water myself, so I drink SoBe 0-calorie LifeWater. Juice also works. Anything water-based that doesn't have sugar, caffeine, and all that crap in it should do.

Drink lots of water , 8 to 10 glasses per day..stay away from diet and regular sodas. Decrease salt intake.

Good luck Madeline

I hate hate hate water. I have to really force myself and I never come anywhere near 8 glasses. *Sighs*

I dun want this thread to turn all gross, but does anyone think colon cleansing is a legitimate weight loss aid or is it just nonsense?

I don't know about the cleaning thingy, but doubtful. Temporary if anything. BUT I do know that I drink 9 to 12 glasses of water a day and the only way to do that is from a bottle. I could never do it if I had to fill a glass and down it. I have a Brita fiter system and just keep filling the bottle. Three to four x's a day. It goes down so easy and becomes a great little healthy habit. Two cups of caffeine and lots of water are the only beverages I consume in a day. Carbonated anything, makes one's body hold salt and is not good for weight loss. [sometimes I will have about 6 ounces of wine] [white wine has fewer carbs than red] *Bygones to this topic* :lol:

One thing, though. If you're using a plastic water bottle, do NOT leave it in the car or anywhere else that it can get sunwarmed. The heat makes chemicals from the bottle leach into the water and they can cause breast cancer. My gyno had a sign about it up on the wall in his office.

For all of you (us) who might have a slight (ahem) weight problem, I strongly recommend the following: "Rethinking Thin" by (ready for this?) Gina Kolata. The author's name might be humorous, but the book is not. Anyone who has ever fought the Battle of the Bulge MUST read this book. It is a profound and very enlightening book on a scientific study done by the author on the causes of weight gain and what we can reasonably expect to do about the problem.

The answers will surprise you. The book is an easy read - and highly informative. Please read it.

Sneak Preview: Diets don't work - at least, not in the long term.

You're always better off just establishing a healthy lifestyle where you stay active and eat a little less. I noticed after my surgery that Americans really have no idea what constitutes a healthy meal size. It positively alarms me sometimes to see how much food they put on my plate in restaurants.

Clearly, education is your friend. My MIL wanted to give my infant daughter a bottle of sugar water at 4 months and lay her down in her crib to sleep. You see a 4 year old with bad teeth, this is usually why. People cannot do better if they do not know better, and we get 99% of our food info from the processed and fast food industries, who have zero interest in our health.

My own background has left me uninterested in food, but I do have a powerful bias in favor of unprocessed, locally grown, cruelty free and even organic food. I do not adhere to such a diet religiously but I buy this way in the grocery and so, if I falter, it's my own self-indulgence. But day to day, that's how I eat.

Good luck Madeline

I don't think it necessarily has to be plain water. I hate drinking plain water myself, so I drink SoBe 0-calorie LifeWater. Juice also works. Anything water-based that doesn't have sugar, caffeine, and all that crap in it should do.

SoBe 0 calorie lifewater contains crushed bugs for color
SoBe lifewater 0 Calories | Fooducate

I just stop eating for a few months. And by stop eating, I mean eating only 2000 calories per day.

Okay, maybe this isn't good advice for non-weightlifters, as I need around 3000 calories per day to maintain weight. I've got a large food budget.

SoBe 0 calorie lifewater contains crushed bugs for color
SoBe lifewater 0 Calories | Fooducate

Doesn't seem as if that'd be quite legal, Jos. FDA = Falling Down Asleep?

Amputation works well.

Forum List

Back