How do you identify an "elitist"?

The right has demonized the elite, but I'm curious:

1. Who are these people?

2. What makes them "elitist"?

3. Why are they unwanted?

4. What is their "threat"?

5. Do they make any contributions? and what are they?
"Elitists" just act like they're better than everyone else and seek to impose their "better way of life" upon everyone else whether they like it or not. They attempt to do so under the guise of "helping people".

Plenty of elitists in the Democrat Party.

And conservatives harping on preserving a certain American 'way of life' that they think is better would be...ummm....uhhh...????

Same thing , ELITIST.

Elitist | Define Elitist at Dictionary.com

e·lit·ism   /ɪˈlitɪzəm, eɪˈli-/ Show Spelled[ih-lee-tiz-uhm, ey-lee-] Show IPA
–noun
1. practice of or belief in rule by an elite.
2. consciousness of or pride in belonging to a select or favored group.

How is supporting democracy being an elitist?

Just more bullshit from the right who want our country owned by the 1% because they worship them like Gods.

These words already have definitions , you dont get to rewrite them for your political purposes

"Elitists" just act like they're better than everyone else and seek to impose their "better way of life" upon everyone else whether they like it or not. They attempt to do so under the guise of "helping people".

And conservatives harping on preserving a certain American 'way of life' that they think is better would be...ummm....uhhh...????

Same thing , ELITIST.

So pretty much not giving a shit what becomes of your country, your culture, your civilization, is the only way you can escape having to wear the scarlett 'E'?

Elitist - someone with a secondary education who thinks that they can float through life on brainpower alone, and who thinks, in their own mind, they are more powerful and influential than they really are, in reality.

1. Who are these people?

Actually these are really good questions I'd like to see some real answers to.

There are too many people educated in Ivy League or equivalent universities, many (not all) with money, whom I've met and been friends and colleagues with who don't fit the stereotypes at all. And then I know some real uneducated assholes who would tell everybody how to live if they had the chance because nobody else has their "values" or "morals" or "toughness" or "common sense". What makes one automatically bad and the other automatically if not good, at least tolerated? Or am I wrong in assuming education and wealth have something to do with the idea of "elitism" as denounced in political circles?

no you're not wrong. Like I said a modern day elite is just an old world aristocrat. They have money and that "elite" education. Someone who doesn't have those things and tries to tell others how to live their lives is just a jerk. But give that jerk some money and a lofty diploma and suddenly he thinks he's someone special as that's how people around him , or her, treat him; and THAT creates an elitist.

But they're both doing the same thing. It's just that one is based on education, and the other on a sense of superiority in another area.

So what's the difference?

And do you believe everyone with an "elite" diploma and some cash is automatically a jerk and an elitist? Or is this an individual determination?

Same thing , ELITIST.

So pretty much not giving a shit what becomes of your country, your culture, your civilization, is the only way you can escape having to wear the scarlett 'E'?

Uh no, not pretending like you are the only one with all the answers would be the way to escape being labeled as an elitist. Well unless you're broke and or don't have the upper crest education.

Actually these are really good questions I'd like to see some real answers to.

There are too many people educated in Ivy League or equivalent universities, many (not all) with money, whom I've met and been friends and colleagues with who don't fit the stereotypes at all. And then I know some real uneducated assholes who would tell everybody how to live if they had the chance because nobody else has their "values" or "morals" or "toughness" or "common sense". What makes one automatically bad and the other automatically if not good, at least tolerated? Or am I wrong in assuming education and wealth have something to do with the idea of "elitism" as denounced in political circles?

no you're not wrong. Like I said a modern day elite is just an old world aristocrat. They have money and that "elite" education. Someone who doesn't have those things and tries to tell others how to live their lives is just a jerk. But give that jerk some money and a lofty diploma and suddenly he thinks he's someone special as that's how people around him , or her, treat him; and THAT creates an elitist.

But they're both doing the same thing. It's just that one is based on education, and the other on a sense of superiority in another area.

And do you believe everyone with an "elite" diploma and some cash is automatically a jerk and an elitist? Or is this an individual determination?

no, certainly everyone with a degree and money isn't an elitist. I was simply saying without those you aren't considered an elitist, you're just considered to be a jerk who tries to tell everyone how to live.

An elitist is just a new term for an aristocrat. Someone who has had advantages and feels that they are best suited to rule the "little people" who in their view simply can't make responsible choices over their own lives.

Obama is an elitist, as was Dubya

Hmm, so there are "different" kinds of elitists?

After all, Bush was the son of a former president whose brother was a governor. Only got into Harvard because dad pulled strings and graduated with a C minus average, and was most known for being a "party animal".

Obama was raised by a single mom until she died, he received food stamps, took out thousands of dollars worth of loans which he didn't pay off until the publication of two best selling books he authored and he graduated from Harvard near the top of his class and was editor of the Harvard Law review and taught Constitutional Law for 10 years at the University Level.

So these have to be very different kinds of "elite". But being "elite", are they both "bad", according to the right?

1. Who are these people?

Don't forget that the elitist has no plans to actually live by his own rules himself.

Funny how this guy just keeps ignoring the word already has a definition.

I guess he thinks only his definition is the correct one adn fuck all those dictionaries.

There is a word for people who think they know better than EVERYONE else, hmmmmm I wish I could remember the word?

An elitist is just a new term for an aristocrat. Someone who has had advantages and feels that they are best suited to rule the "little people" who in their view simply can't make responsible choices over their own lives.

After all, Bush was the son of a former president whose brother was a governor. Only got into Harvard because dad pulled strings and graduated with a C minus average, and was most known for being a "party animal".

Obama was raised by a single mom until she died, he received food stamps, took out thousands of dollars worth of loans which he didn't pay off until the publication of two best selling books he authored and he graduated from Harvard near the top of his class and was editor of the Harvard Law review and taught Constitutional Law for 10 years at the University Level.

So these have to be very different kinds of "elite". But being "elite", are they both "bad", according to the right?

elitist simply means you think you know better than the average people. It does not matter whether you actually do or not, or how educated or how many books you published. It is about an attitude of superiority.

A liberal Elitist is someone who thinks everyone who lives between DC and SF are inbred idiots who should not even be allowed to vote. They think they are better than most Americans. They think they are smarter, and wiser, and know best for us all. Education level does not automatically mean you are smarter, or have anymore common sense than the next guy. Many times it just means you had more money :)

Last edited:

no, certainly everyone with a degree and money isn't an elitist. I was simply saying without those you aren't considered an elitist, you're just considered to be a jerk who tries to tell everyone how to live.

But these others whom you call "jerks" still consider themselves to be superior. I'd say even "elite". Just in a different area. Morality, perhaps. Or "common sense". Or some kind of macho BS toughness. Why would their sense of superiority not qualify them as elitists if that's what they think they are?

Well, I don't claim to speak for 'the right" whatever that means, but IMO anyone who thinks they h ave all the answers and wants to dictate to everyone else is bad, yes.

Well, I don't claim to speak for 'the right" whatever that means, but IMO anyone who thinks they h ave all the answers and wants to dictate to everyone else is bad, yes.

Man I love that Ravi quote in your signature conhog. Like it matters if they commit more crime than legal citizens. The point is they should not even be here when they commit their crimes, and if the government had done their job they would not have been. So violent crime committed by an illegal, especially one who has been in the system and not deported, is a crime that DID NOT HAVE TO HAPPEN.

Gotta love her logic

But these others whom you call "jerks" still consider themselves to be superior. I'd say even "elite". Just in a different area. Morality, perhaps. Or "common sense". Or some kind of macho BS toughness. Why would their sense of superiority not qualify them as elitists if that's what they think they are?

well, they can consider themselves to be whatever they want, but if they don't have money and or that upper education they aren't normally going to be able to climb into a position where they can be in any power and affect anything. Call them elitist wannabes maybe :LOL:

well, they can consider themselves to be whatever they want, but if they don't have money and or that upper education they aren't normally going to be able to climb into a position where they can be in any power and affect anything. Call them elitist wannabes maybe :LOL:

You mean somebody like Sarah Palin, with a degree from a branch campus of a public university and no particular family pedigree or fortune?

Pfft. The name on the degree helps, family money more so, but it's certainly not impossible. So again, what's the difference?

You mean somebody like Sarah Palin, with a degree from a branch campus of a public university and no particular family pedigree or fortune?

Pfft. The name on the degree helps, family money more so, but it's certainly not impossible. So again, what's the difference?

Palin is not an elitist. Elitists don't pander to the middle class the way Palin obviously is. In fact elitists aka aristocrats HATE the middle class or the proletariat

Forum List

Back