Zone1 How do you define masculine? How do you define feminine?

Masculine: Associated with men who embrace the hard life. Tough. Willing to fight for what he believes in. A man willing to take the lead, but also willing to follow the lead in times of war. Courageous. But also gentle with women and kind to children.

Feminine: Associated with the softer side of female human. Nurturing, loving, kind, gentle, sweet-tempered. Willing to partner with a man to make a strong marriage. Supportive, but also able to advise wisely.

Well it is a pretty big question isn't it?

Yes, it is. Which is what I have been saying.

And it varies from culture to culture.

Males are typically task oriented, women are typically detail oriented.

So, are you saying it is masculine to be task oriented and feminine to be detail oriented?

The woman is comfort, empathy and emotion.

So, if a man is comforting and empathetic would they make him feminine?

Yes, certain facets of masculinity/femininity vary from culture to culture.

But this is deliberately ignoring the fact that the broad outlines of male/female roles are remarkably similar across cultures and are largely dictated by the very real differences in secondary sex characteristics between men and women.

I get that gender and sex are different things. But this doesn’t change the fact that cultural gender roles *are* inextricably linked to biological differences between the sexes.

Yes, it is. Which is what I have been saying.

So, are you saying it is masculine to be task oriented and feminine to be detail oriented?

So, if a man is comforting and empathetic would they make him feminine?
You are approaching this as if you want to argue.
Every single human being is unique.
However we follow general behavioral traits according to several things... and sex is a big one.
So MOST males are task oriented, MOST females are detail oriented.
And example of that is a male and a female go to the grocery store - with a list.
The man goes... gets exactly what is on the list virtually everytime.
The woman goes... gets 18 other items she remembers they are also low on etc.
That is an example of task oriented and detail oriented. You can apply that 10000 different scenarios.

You are approaching this as if you want to argue.
Every single human being is unique.
However we follow general behavioral traits according to several things... and sex is a big one.
So MOST males are task oriented, MOST females are detail oriented.
And example of that is a male and a female go to the grocery store - with a list.
The man goes... gets exactly what is on the list virtually everytime.
The woman goes... gets 18 other items she remembers they are also low on etc.
That is an example of task oriented and detail oriented. You can apply that 10000 different scenarios.

Such broad generalities are meaningless.

Such broad generalities are meaningless.
So if you’re saying masculine/feminine varies 100% from person to person or culture to culture, aren’t the words meaningless?

Differences in physical strength, body composition, hormones, libido and cognition determine the vast majority of how we define gender and how we define what’s masculine or feminine.

And since sex and secondary sex characteristics are universally similar among all humans there are very concrete and very unchanging definitions of what’s masculine or feminine.

So if you’re saying masculine/feminine varies 100% from person to person or culture to culture, aren’t the words meaningless?

Differences in physical strength, body composition, hormones, libido and cognition determine the vast majority of how we define gender and how we define what’s masculine or feminine.

And since sex and secondary sex characteristics are universally similar among all humans there are very concrete and very unchanging definitions of what’s masculine or feminine.

Do you find this masculine?

images

Do you find this masculine?

images
Not really. Not because of the clothes. I get that what men and women wear varies by culture.

Just his general vibe is somewhat effeminate. But I think you knew that. That’s why I said certain *facets* change from culture to culture. But the broad outline of what masculine is varies little.

I’m sure even in his culture, men are generally excpected to be providers, protectors and to have the assertiveness that comes with these roles.

And I doubt very much he’s considered particularly masculine in his own culture.

In a different thread I put forth that masculine and feminine have a multitude of definitions depending upon who you are talking to.

So, if you were asked what made one masculine and what made one feminine, how would you answer the question.

Thanks in advance.
yeah yeah we know thee is no difference between men and women.....men love shopping just as much as women...especially with their husbands money

The better question is – why should it matter.

Answer: it doesn’t.

What might be perceived to be masculine or feminine is irrelevant.

Individuals are far much more than their attributes.

'Masculine' and 'Feminine' traits also do not define what a biological male and biological female are.

masculine or feminine are not sexes, they just relate to the sexes male and female.
Gotcha - now everything is clear

According to you; Blond (masculine) or Blonde (feminine) are not sexes, they just relate to the sexes Male and Female - What are you talking about?

Last edited:
Golfing Gator said:
masculine or feminine are not sexes, they just relate to the sexes male and female.

So, according to you, biological females can not have masculine traits and biological males can not have feminine traits?!

1681223976748.png

I think these ladies would disagree with you.

So, according to you, biological females can not have masculine traits and biological males can not have feminine traits?!

Actually according to me, just the opposite is true. Which is the whole point.

What someone views as a masculine traits varies from person to person and society to society. And it is very changing. What your grandparents viewed as masculine traits and feminine traits is different than your views and if you have children theirs will be different than yours.

Forum List

Back