How Do People Cope When They Experience This?

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
I simply don't know what my reaction would be.

---------

MURPHY, ID—Indescribable tragedy struck the quiet foothill town of Murphy Monday, leaving authorities and citizens dumbstruck by the nameless horror that descended on their community.

"Oh God," said Wilma Freas, standing at the edge of Main Street overlooking the lumberyard. "Those poor people!"

Added Freas: "And the children..."

Murphy residents are still attempting to come to grips with the overwhelming catastrophe, with reactions ranging from unimaginable sorrow to sheer incoherent rage.

"Why?!" said feed-store owner Blaine Fullerton, beating the counter with a clenched fist. "Those were innocent—I mean, in big cities, maybe. But here?"

"Why?" added Fullerton, removing his cap and throwing it to the ground.

Emergency personnel deployed to the site of the inexplicable horror reported that their efforts to contain the situation are in effect.

"I rushed... right when I... I...," said Dr. Marjorie Sweeny, a trauma surgeon at Benediction Memorial Hospital in nearby Caldwell. "As a doctor, I... I wanted to see if there was anything I could do. I thought there was a chance I... Oh God! Oh God, all the blood! I'm sorry. I have to... Right now I have to..."

Law-enforcement officials from the state to the federal level have been called in to deal with the situation. However, due to communications difficulties, many agencies have had problems coordinating their efforts.

"We're on the road," said Sgt. Jason Haskell of the Murphy police department, attempting to direct members of the National Guard to the site of the great calamity. "Everybody... should get down... to the road."

"Lord in heaven, no!" Haskell added.

Many of the early reports, garbled though they are, have come from the local level. Owyhee County Sheriff's Deputy Ronald Muntoth is one of the few witnesses to the scene who has been able to give a near-coherent report.

"I've seen a lot of things in my years on the force," Muntoth said. "But I'm still trying to get my mind around this unthinkable tragedy. We had a train derailment a few years ago that I thought was incomprehensible. But this—I... I can't even begin to... No. I just... It... Excuse me."

As fragmented accounts of the tragic events continue to trickle in, stunned residents of Murphy are quietly closing ranks, banding together to bear mute witness to the inconceivable disaster. On Monday evening, thousands of locals assembled in the town square, so recently the scene of incalculable loss, to observe a moment of silence for the as-yet-unnamed victims. After a respectful but undetermined period of time, Mayor Molly Hawkshaw spoke.

"Oh!" said Hawkshaw, who is assuming personal responsibility for the confidential investigation into the tragedy. "I just... We... argh gah... pain and shock."

Idaho Gov. Dirk Kempthorne plans to visit Murphy later this week.

-=d=- said:
It's when such a horror occurs that we are reminding of the true meaning

I know.

You hug your kids a little longer.

You look at the flowers and the stars a little longer.

GotZoom said:
I know.

You hug your kids a little longer.

You look at the flowers and the stars a little longer.

I may take off the rest of the day to do just that. Just reading about such an incident, especially in light of 11 September has me tore-up. :(

no1tovote4 said:
Tons of reaction but no meat to the story...

What was the tragedy?

What was it? The single most horrible thing i've read about. Therein lies the tragedy...wow.

11 May.
11 Sep.

Two days forever burned into my memory. :(

-=d=- said:
What was it? The single most horrible thing i've read about. Therein lies the tragedy...wow.

11 May.
11 Sep.

Two days forever burned into my memory. :(

OMG...you are right.

You don't think.......

I was thinking. We have a good group of people on the board here. I think it would be a nice option for us to be able to make a donation, as a group, when things like this happen.

Set up a Paypal account, designate who the funds would go to, etc.

Anybody with me?

GotZoom said:
I was thinking. We have a good group of people on the board here. I think it would be a nice option for us to be able to make a donation, as a group, when things like this happen.

Anybody with me?

I am so there...Excellent idea.

GotZoom said:

Anybody with me?

That's a hell of an idea, GZ! And, although I'm busier than a one-armed paperhanger, I'll gladly make the sacrifice, and take personal charge of the funds.

I'll see to it the money gets where it needs to go.

musicman said:
That's a hell of an idea, GZ! And, although I'm busier than a one-armed paperhanger, I'll gladly make the sacrifice, and take personal charge of the funds.

Wow, quite a sacrifice....

Maybe we could split the duty!

I can't believe I am able to still function....

musicman said:

:thewave:

Let me know when everything is set up. I want to be one of the first to donate.

Thank you.

Forum List

Back