How did "progress"ives fall so far they can't distinguish between a lie and bluff

TheDude

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2016
U.S.A. gone wild
Trump never said he taped the conversation(s). Seriously, come out from under that spell. Let me help.

"I taped the conversation." + "Nah, I really didn't" = LIE
"Better hope there's no tapes of the conversation." + Psyche" = Bluff

Course there's always he did tape the conversation(s) and says he didn't. That would be a lie. It would also be smart to deny, considering recordings are illegal.

Trump never said he taped the conversation(s). Seriously, come out from under that spell. Let me help.

A bluff is a lie made under limited circumstances where both sides agree lying is acceptable as a tactic. This latest effort by trump is to justify some of his lying by calling this particular lie a "bluff".

A bluff is a lie made under limited circumstances where both sides agree lying is acceptable as a tactic. This latest effort by trump is to justify some of his lying by calling this particular lie a "bluff".

Ha ha....Stop
giphy.gif

The lefty dopes are too stupid to grasp the nuance. They're like dealing with little children.

The lefty dopes are too stupid to grasp the nuance. They're like dealing with little children.
The word bluff is defined in dictionaries as an effort to deceive and mislead. That is not a nuance. Calling trump's comments as a "bluff" is an admission that trump was purposely deceiving and misleading, hence, lying. Unless, of course, you are changing the definition of the word bluff.

"Better hope there's no tapes of the conversation."
And what is the natural response to that statement in the context Trump made it? An exhortation, of course, to attest unequivocally whether there are tapes, and, if one has the authority to do so, order that they be delivered to the appropriate party(s).

Be that as it may, liberal, conservative, progressive, etc., mature adults don't treat legal matters as they would a poker hand by saying, as Trump did, "Better hope there's no tapes of the conversation." They don't because:
  1. They don't want their reputation impugned by appearing to be dishonest or insouciant about their duties.
  2. If there were such tapes and facing allegations such as those Trump does, any responsible person would, unbidden, produce the tapes in refutation of the claims Comey made. Comey's contemporaneous notes have weight in legal proceedings, but tapes that allow arbiters to hear not only the words but also the tone of the conversation would hold more weight.
OP, you are aspire to lampoon progressives for not knowing Trump was bluffing. It's apparently, however, not crossed your mind that the context in which Trump "bluffed" isn't one in which sane, serious, honest, responsible, and mature adults would doing anything other than unequivocally, comprehensively and precisely state the truth, or say nothing. That you have the gall to have publicly advanced the theme in your OP is shameful; however, I am embarrassed for you, but only because you clearly cannot be so for yourself.

no children would understand a bluff. they do it almost daily.

And what is the natural response to that statement in the context Trump made it? An exhortation, of course, to attest unequivocally whether there are tapes, and, if one has the authority to do so, order that they be delivered to the appropriate party(s).

Be that as it may, liberal, conservative, progressive, etc., mature adults don't treat legal matters as they would a poker hand by saying, as Trump did, "Better hope there's no tapes of the conversation." They don't because:
  1. They don't want their reputation impugned by appearing to be dishonest or insouciant about their duties.
  2. If there were such tapes and facing allegations such as those Trump does, any responsible person would, unbidden, produce the tapes in refutation of the claims Comey made. Comey's contemporaneous notes have weight in legal proceedings, but tapes that allow arbiters to hear not only the words but also the tone of the conversation would hold more weight.
OP, you are aspire to lampoon progressives for not knowing Trump was bluffing. It's apparently, however, not crossed your mind that the context in which Trump "bluffed" isn't one in which sane, serious, honest, responsible, and mature adults would doing anything other than unequivocally, comprehensively and precisely state the truth, or say nothing. That you have the gall to have publicly advanced the theme in your OP is shameful; however, I am embarrassed for you, but only because you clearly cannot be so for yourself.

Gee golly, you really got me a good one. Just kidding, I'm just bluffing, but if you prefer I lied.

Way to go Trump. I suspect his bluff, (I mean lie) worked in his favor. Comey has proven to be dishonest, partisan, a bureaucrat and nuts. And of course Trump has been vindicated. That or at least "we can all" admit that to-date the Russian collusion business is a fabrication, built on lies.

Gee golly, you really got me a good one. Just kidding, I'm just bluffing, but if you prefer I lied.

Way to go Trump. I suspect his bluff, (I mean lie) worked in his favor. Comey has proven to be dishonest, partisan, a bureaucrat and nuts. And of course Trump has been vindicated. That or at least "we can all" admit that to-date the Russian collusion business is a fabrication, built on lies.
I'm just bluffing, but if you prefer I lied.

I wouldn't call his "tapes" statement a lie. "Bogarting" is what I'd call it. There's nothing wrong with doing it in the right situation, and the situation in which Trump did it is not among them.

At some point the fat senile old orange clown is going to cross a line that even the GOP cannot ignore. That is what Nixon did, and it cost him the Presidency. He was smart enough to resign. I doubt that the clown will be.

I wouldn't call his "tapes" statement a lie. "Bogarting" is what I'd call it. There's nothing wrong with doing it in the right situation, and the situation in which Trump did it is not among them.

You might check the OP for the definition of a lie. It's simple and straight forward. Bogarting? heck I don't know, that was Obama's game, if I recall.

The word bluff is defined in dictionaries as an effort to deceive and mislead. That is not a nuance. Calling trump's comments as a "bluff" is an admission that trump was purposely deceiving and misleading, hence, lying. Unless, of course, you are changing the definition of the word bluff.
Since Trump never said there were recordings he didn't lie.

Since Trump never said there were recordings he didn't lie.
That will be debated forever, but you can be sure his bluff will be used as evidence for obstruction of justice.

Trump really knows how to stir the left into a frenzy. He does it just to see the monkeys jump. How long was covefe good for? Now the tapes. Thinking people knew all along there were no tapes. Trump was once again playing the left and doing it brilliantly.

Trump really knows how to stir the left into a frenzy. He does it just to see the monkeys jump. How long was covefe good for? Now the tapes. Thinking people knew all along there were no tapes. Trump was once again playing the left and doing it brilliantly.

He seems to be onto something. Trump is a very odd flamboyant duck. That's okay IMO, great leaders generally are.

You might check the OP for the definition of a lie. It's simple and straight forward. Bogarting? heck I don't know, that was Obama's game, if I recall.

You can invent your own definition of what a lie is and what it means to lie. I'm sticking with the ones that're vastly more widely accepted.

Forum List

Back