How come I never heard of "Christmas Tornadoes"?

R

rdean

Storm Prediction Center Monthly and Annual Summaries

I guess because there was only one death in 2007. This year there are at least 6, so far.

CINCINNATI, Ark. — Parts of Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Missouri and Tennessee were on the lookout for more twisters after several touched down Friday — including one that killed three people in an Arkansas town and another that killed three in southern Missouri.

The region has been bracing for severe weather for much of the week. Gulf moisture riding southerly winds pushed temperatures into the upper 60s and 70s on Thursday — ahead of a cold front expected to drop temperatures into the teens by Saturday morning.

Later Friday morning, in south-central Missouri, baseball-sized hail was reported north of Mansfield in Wright County.

101231_tornado-ark.grid-6x2.jpg

New twister alerts after 6 killed in Ark., Mo. - Weather - msnbc.com

I thought Tornado season ended in November.

Redrawing of 'Tornado Alley' suggested / LJWorld.com

Seems there is talk of redefining "Tornado Alley".

Baker believes that when the climate is in a warming trend, as it has been in the past decade, the more significant tornadoes will be east of the traditional alley.

According to the National Climatic Data Center, Texas averaged 139 tornadoes per year in 1953 through 2004, followed by Oklahoma (57), Kansas and Florida (55), and Nebraska (45).

Looking at strong to violent tornadoes - those that are F2 to F5 on the Fujita scale - Texas averaged 29 per year, followed by Oklahoma (11) and Kansas and Iowa (9).

Such figures support the traditional boundaries of Tornado Alley.

But there have been 13 killer tornadoes in 2007 in the United States, according to the Storm Prediction Center in Norman, Okla.

Ranked in the order of fatalities, the states are Florida (21), Alabama (10), Georgia (9), Louisiana (3), Oklahoma (2), Texas (1), Colorado (1) and Missouri (1).

Going back to 2000, fewer than 8 percent of the killer tornadoes were in the traditional alley.

--------------------------

I'm not used to seeing such violent change in the weather. Looking out the window, here in Chicago, some people are wearing short pants and light jackets and every bit of snow is gone. Yesterday, it was at least two feet high. Well, they better be ready for tomorrow, it's supposed to go down to 15 degrees.

Let me guess, you think this proves something. As usual, you are correct, it proves you are massively ignorant.

Is this unusual?
Actually, twisters can strike any time of year, in many parts of the country, and frighteningly often at night.

Though they're most common in Tornado Alley during springtime, when warm, moist air from the Gulf of Mexico moves north and clashes with cooler air to create colossal twisters, local conditions can spawn tornadoes even in Michigan during October.

Tornadoes in Winter? | LiveScience

Only idiots think there is anything unusual about snow, or tornadoes, in the winter.

That is just down the road from me. The southerly flow from the gulf comes up when the high pressure dome collapses. So for about 3 days we have gulf moisture coming straight up into Arkansas and the temps sail into the 60's, but inevitably a cold frontal boundary collides and this is what you get. This is very normal and can happen anytime of year except for say maybe August down here. Not uncommon at all. I've lived here 41 years and can tell you that winter tornadoes are not that uncommon.

I guess because there was only one death in 2007. This year there are at least 6, so far.

CINCINNATI, Ark. — Parts of Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Missouri and Tennessee were on the lookout for more twisters after several touched down Friday — including one that killed three people in an Arkansas town and another that killed three in southern Missouri.

The region has been bracing for severe weather for much of the week. Gulf moisture riding southerly winds pushed temperatures into the upper 60s and 70s on Thursday — ahead of a cold front expected to drop temperatures into the teens by Saturday morning.

Later Friday morning, in south-central Missouri, baseball-sized hail was reported north of Mansfield in Wright County.

Baker believes that when the climate is in a warming trend, as it has been in the past decade, the more significant tornadoes will be east of the traditional alley.

According to the National Climatic Data Center, Texas averaged 139 tornadoes per year in 1953 through 2004, followed by Oklahoma (57), Kansas and Florida (55), and Nebraska (45).

Looking at strong to violent tornadoes - those that are F2 to F5 on the Fujita scale - Texas averaged 29 per year, followed by Oklahoma (11) and Kansas and Iowa (9).

But there have been 13 killer tornadoes in 2007 in the United States, according to the Storm Prediction Center in Norman, Okla.

Ranked in the order of fatalities, the states are Florida (21), Alabama (10), Georgia (9), Louisiana (3), Oklahoma (2), Texas (1), Colorado (1) and Missouri (1).

Going back to 2000, fewer than 8 percent of the killer tornadoes were in the traditional alley.

I'm not used to seeing such violent change in the weather. Looking out the window, here in Chicago, some people are wearing short pants and light jackets and every bit of snow is gone. Yesterday, it was at least two feet high. Well, they better be ready for tomorrow, it's supposed to go down to 15 degrees.

you idiot............the jet stream is further south than normal!!!!:fu::fu::fu:

s0n........your New Years resolution should be to find something meaningful in your life!!!

Really..........

you didn't hear about it, because you have not been cleared by the Cheney team. they are keeping it form you.

and this proves what, Hairnet? I believe the the phrase NOTHING is appropriate.

What is the point of this thread? This crap is normal for this area. It's always been this way. Tomorrow it might be 70, the next day -10 with a tornado the day after that. They call it dynamic weather, jeez.

I have never heard of a tornado in canada or mexico or any other country as far as I can remember. I guess they do not have any?

The US is 10 times more likely to get a tornado than any other part of the world.

It's that spin that the Democrats put on everything that causes tornados... Take a nice cool breeze, put in that Democratic spin and here you go... instant tornado.

I have never heard of a tornado in canada or mexico or any other country as far as I can remember. I guess they do not have any?

Canada gets tornados, they have a large land mass so some don't get reported but their weather is much like our Northern states. We get extreme cold up here too.

At this point in time, formation of tornadoes are not fully understood by scientists. They usually form in a giant rotating thunderstorm called a supercell. Supercells form when cold polar air meets warm tropical air.

http://library.thinkquest.org/16132/html/tornadoinfo/formed.html

Mexico gets quakes like Cali. They are warm weather areas, they normally lack the cold polar air required to cause the formation of a tornado.

Last edited:
Although tornadoes have been observed on every continent except Antarctica, most occur in the United States. Other areas where they commonly occur include south-central Canada, south-central and eastern Asia, east-central South America, Southern Africa, northwestern and central Europe, Italy, western and southeastern Australia, and New Zealand.

Tornadoes_global_statistics_world_map.jpg

December tornado history:

december.gif

December 1959 to 2004
Total Reported Tornadoes 888 with
0 F5 7 F4 71 F3 200 F2 352 F1 258 F0
Of the total tornadoes 31% would be classified as strong/violent during this period. 29 States in the US have recorded tornadoes in December since 1959. 5 of these tornadoes have had a track length of greater than 50 miles. During December 68 deaths have been recorded from these tornadoes from 1959 to 2004.

Most people think of Christmas time and the holidays in December, but this time of year can catch people by surprise and bring deadly tornadoes.

December 2006 Killer Tornadoes: 2 Fatalities: 2
24 Dec 1 03:15 PM S Halifax PA 1 fatality F1 WS874 Pole blown down onto vehicle.

25 Dec 29 02:00 PM 2 W Groesbeck TX 1 fatality F2 WT886 Up to 50 homes damaged.

December 2002 Killer Tornadoes: 3 Fatalities: 4
26 Dec 17 11:05 PM Mt. Vernon MO 2 Fatalities F2 WT 778 Tornado hit Luck Lady trailer park and 3 homes east of trailer park.

27 Dec 18 01:53 AM Lamar MO 1 Fatality F1 WT 779 At least three frame homes and one mobile home destroyed.

27 Dec 18 03:35 PM Hamlet AR 1 Fatality F3 WT 785 Number of residences destroyed. 84 yr. old woman thrown from mobile home.

Pretending there have never before been tornadoes in December is just silly.

Actually we had a pretty bad tornado in December here in the Willamette Valley;

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUqeHbD0yhI[/ame]

Tornados in Sinaloa are pretty common.

[ame]http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=fOvvJmhwFLA&feature=related[/ame]

Same for Ontario Canada.

[ame]http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvmzo3U0MH8&feature=fvst[/ame]

Let me guess, you think this proves something. As usual, you are correct, it proves you are massively ignorant.

Is this unusual?
Actually, twisters can strike any time of year, in many parts of the country, and frighteningly often at night.

Though they're most common in Tornado Alley during springtime, when warm, moist air from the Gulf of Mexico moves north and clashes with cooler air to create colossal twisters, local conditions can spawn tornadoes even in Michigan during October.

Only idiots think there is anything unusual about snow, or tornadoes, in the winter.

Wrong, sort of, ignorant is just not knowing something, rdean has her head up her ass. Hard to hear of anything for rdean.

Is this unusual?

Wrong, sort of, ignorant is just not knowing something, rdean has her head up her ass. Hard to hear of anything for rdean.

rdean is a she??????

Holy fcukk.........I always suspected the possibility we were dealing with a feminist bulldog. They're all fcukking miserable...........all the miserable lefty k00ks make it to places they can maater and then spend 16 hours a day in front of their PC mattering!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Forum List

Back