How Columbus Turned the World Upside Down

It all boils down to the looney leftist liberals wanting to eradicate any historical events that do not fit in with their PC version of history.

Much like the way Mao and his radical Red Guards in the 1960's were determined to destroy all traces of China's pre-communist past. ...... :cool:
Not at all. We just don't give a damn about the myths of history, and prefer the reality. The reality is that Columbus was a brutal asshole. It is you and the rest of the 'Conservatives' that are trying to erase history. Just look at your denial of the Holocaust.

It all boils down to the looney leftist liberals wanting to eradicate any historical events that do not fit in with their PC version of history.

Much like the way Mao and his radical Red Guards in the 1960's were determined to destroy all traces of China's pre-communist past. ...... :cool:

I don't give a damn about whether Columbus has a legacy or not. I object to paying the salaries of all the federal and state employees who get today off. It shouldn't be that much of a holiday.
I think I object more that it is not a paid holiday for me LOL

I don't give a damn about whether Columbus has a legacy or not. I object to paying the salaries of all the federal and state employees who get today off. It shouldn't be that much of a holiday.
Neither should ML King day, but unfortunately we are stuck with it. ..... :cool:

Well, one helped bring about social change for a significant part of the population of American citizens. The other, in addition to his "discovering America", slaughter tens of thousands of innocents and took what he wanted. Yeah, I could see why you compare the two.

I am nearly 74 years old now. I knew 3 US soldiers that helped liberate those camps. Were you to say that to any of them when they still had their strength they would have cleaned you clock in a New York minute. They saw the horror first hand. That you are such a liar is simply proof than you really are not an American at all. Go back to where you belong.

But not a word about the amazing agricultural abilities of the peoples that domesticated those plants, the native Americans.
Those crops were nothing like the crops we have today.
The crops in Europe at that time were nothing like the crops we have today. What the native Americans developed was good enough that the colonists adapted those crops. That is why they are worldwide today.

LOL Over the past 600 years. In that amount of time, the native Americans would have done the same. And, yes, they had wheels, just no animals that were usable for pulling a wagon
Sorry, no. They have not progressed in thousands of years. 600 would have made no difference. Even the black regions without the white man have only regressed.

It is you and the rest of the 'Conservatives' that are trying to erase history. Just look at your denial of the Holocaust.
The so called Holocaust was an alleged event that happen in Europe.

Why so many American's cling to the false narrative about this mythical story is quite puzzling? ..... :dunno:

Because we are old enough to be raised by the soldiers that liberated the camps. My Dad's best friend was captured and held in one with the Jews you pretend weren't there.
My In-law's optometrist showed me the tattoo the Germans identified him with.
I know you don't like Jews, Sunni, but your dislike doesn't rewrite history.
I will never forget, and I made sure my children will never forget.

Although Columbus was primarily a dead reckoning navigator, he did experiment with celestial navigation techniques from time to time. However, these experiments were usually unsuccessful -- and in some cases, actually fraudulent.
Columbus and Celestial Navigation
Columbus tried with mixed results to use celestial navigation on his first three voyages, but by his fourth and final voyage to the New World he did it 100% with Celestial Navigation techniques.

That is what the development of new techniques looks like; error, more errors, then finally success.

He didn't develop Celestial Navigation. And he wasn't even very good at it.
Lol, yes he did, perfecting techniques theorized by others and himself.

Columbus and Celestial Navigation
Columbus was from Genoa, one of the leading Mediterranean ports, and he must have learned his dead reckoning navigation from Genoese pilots. But he had spent time in Portugal, and was aware of all the new ideas in navigation, including celestial navigation. So on his first voyage he made at least five separate attempts to measure his latitude using celestial methods. Not one of these attempts was successful, in part because of bad luck, and in part because of Columbus's own ignorance of celestial techniques and tools....

The quadrant readings Columbus obtained on his first voyage are horrible by any standard. Some have suggested that Columbus mistook another star for Polaris, but that seems ridiculous: Columbus used the stars of Ursa Minor to tell time at night, so he was very familiar with that constellation. In 1983, James E. Kelley, Jr. provided the solution to the mystery: as mentioned above, many quadrants in maritime museums have tangent scales. If Columbus misread the scale, he might have recorded the tangent of his latitude (without the decimal point) instead of his actual latitude. If that were the case, Columbus's measurements would only be wrong by a couple of degrees or so, which is not bad considering the technology.

In any case, it is clear that at this point in his career Columbus was not familiar enough with celestial techniques and tools to use them successfully....

(Third Voyage)
Giving Columbus every benefit of the doubt, we may assume that he measured the altitude of Polaris on August 1, 1498, at the Boca del Sierpe (10 N, 62 W) at the beginning of nautical twilight -- the time when the Sun reaches 6 degrees below the horizon, and bright stars first become visible. This occurred at 2249 UT for that date and location. At that time, Polaris was already 8° 10' above the horizon, and rising -- compared to Columbus's report of less than 5 degrees.....

Not much of Columbus's own writing about the fourth voyage survives today. But we do know that while marooned on the north coast of Jamaica, he found his latitude to be 19°, which is within a degree of the correct number. This high accuracy could only have been achieved if Columbus had been using celestial techniques. It also suggests that even late in his life, Columbus continued to be fascinated with the latest navigational methods, and continued to learn.

Columbus demonstrated and perfected the theory of his own and others in his voyages.

Compare the way the Portugese sailed along the coast of Africa to how they sailed after Columbuses voyages.

8FsqrBiHXkmt3LUDqRvrQAp8.jpeg

And if you are giving Columbus credit for the crops he brought back to the Old World, are you blaming him for the devastating results of the Potato Famine?

Lol, he did not introduce the potato fungus, lolol

My Dad's best friend was captured and held in one with the Jews you pretend weren't there. My In-law's optometrist showed me the tattoo the Germans identified him with.
Yes, that Jews were held as detainee's in work camps is true.

But the idea that there was an industrial scale genocide of the Jews is pure fiction. .... :cool:

I spoke with an old German veteran while I was stationed in Europe and he claimed that the Death camps were places Jews and other workers were sent to die if they were already expected to in od\rder to control contamination of the working camps.

I think this is merely cover what they had already intended to do; work the Jews to death. Given low calories and harsh labor and substandard living conditions, death was expected and the Death camps sealed the arrangement, finalizing the processes expected outcome.

Neither should ML King day, but unfortunately we are stuck with it. ..... :cool:

Well, one helped bring about social change for a significant part of the population of American citizens. The other, in addition to his "discovering America", slaughter tens of thousands of innocents and took what he wanted. Yeah, I could see why you compare the two.

The Caribs were far from innocent. They are the ones that gave us the word canibal. Cannibalism in humans - Wikipedia

Forum List

Back