How can you spot an economy, indeed a civilization, in collapse?

I remember whining about not being able to find a job in the mid 1970's recession. My mother told me that, having lived through the Great Depression, where people were starving, and the economy was all but dead, she found it hard to sympathize with my trouble making my monthly payment on my 1975 Pontiac Grand Am.

In short, I've heard it all before...and before...and before...

Record highs for the stock market?
Jobs?
Housing starts?
Economic growth?
Nutters blathering on about the end times?
Most conservatives contrive and seek to propagate the lie of 'collapse' because they believe the unwarranted fear it evokes affords them some perceived political advantage.

Well, alright... you say that the culture is not decaying, therefore the culture must be advancing. Please point to the distinct traits of the culture which say to you that the culture is advancing; which is the ask what are the specific things you see that demonstrate the culture's viability.

(The reader should not expect the opposition to now either ignore the challenge entirely or to open any response with some form of deflection. Any examples she offers will be obscurant rationalizations... . )

Ted Fischer, a professor of anthropology and director of the Center for Latin American Studies at Vanderbilt University, studies the ways cultural values influence economic decisions. Today on Making Sen$e he interviews the “real Indiana Jones,” aka Arthur Demarest, about the fate of our own society. Demarest, also an anthropology professor at Vanderbilt University, sees signs of collapse.

The real Indiana Jones on why Western civilization is a bubble
Collapse seems like a rather extreme conclusion. It's decline though no doubt.
zzzzzzzzzzzz

and we all know who brought about this past 6 year decline.., the worst in American history !!

e.g., a foreign country controlling what movies we can see. :up:
Absolutely, the corrupt Booosh meltdown and continuing Reaganist tax rates and policy, and mindless Pub obstruction and phony crises.

Ted Fischer, a professor of anthropology and director of the Center for Latin American Studies at Vanderbilt University, studies the ways cultural values influence economic decisions. Today on Making Sen$e he interviews the “real Indiana Jones,” aka Arthur Demarest, about the fate of our own society. Demarest, also an anthropology professor at Vanderbilt University, sees signs of collapse.

zzzzzzzzzzzz

and we all know who brought about this past 6 year decline.., the worst in American history !!

e.g., a foreign country controlling what movies we can see. :up:
Absolutely, the corrupt Booosh meltdown and continuing Reaganist tax rates and policy, and mindless Pub obstruction and phony crises.
see sig pp1

Crazy talk, Barry.

Move along.

I thought that in the past. However, it is becoming increasingly clear that Western Civilization is in crisis.

This is not a left/right political issue, there are so many issues that need action, but our political parties or leaders are not proposing any coherent solutions. I am not just criticizing the US, it is the same in Australia. Both main parties are unwilling the deal with urgent issues

I suspect our grandchildren will live in a very different Western Civilization.

Last edited:
If jake thinks it's crazy I need to listen to it....but way too tired now. six pounds of tenderloin, all the fixin's......chocolate cake and ice cream...8 bloody Mary's...I'm goin to bed. Merry Christmas.and to all a good night.!

Enjoy the bread and circuses while they last!

If jake thinks it's crazy I need to listen to it....but way too tired now. six pounds of tenderloin, all the fixin's......chocolate cake and ice cream...8 bloody Mary's...I'm goin to bed. Merry Christmas.and to all a good night.!
Enjoy the bread and circuses while they last!
If only that were true, and glutton goes to bed.

A decline eventually becomes a collapse, it's just a matter of how long!

Crazy talk, Barry.

Move along.

I thought that in the past. However, it is becoming increasingly clear that Western Civilization is in crisis.

This is not a left/right political issue, there are so many issues political parties or leaders are not proposing any coherent solutions. I just criticizing the US, it is the same in Australia. Both main parties are unwilling the deal with urgent issues

I suspect our grandchildren will live in a very different Western Civilization.

That is because 'both' parties are infected with virulent 'Progressivism'.

(That's sorta how Progressivism works... it adapts to all political parties, then once soundly entrenched, it owns the system. It doesn't matter which party is in power, progressivism is served.)

Which is why we, the Americans, are kicking the Progressives OUT of the GOP and why the Left is wetting its collective pant about our doing so.

I think collapse is the incorrect word for it. Western civilization won't collapse, but it certainly is slowly getting less distinctive and more globalist.

You could confuse lacking distinctiveness for collapse, though 'western civilization' is no longer just European but a globalist culture, belief, and ideological system.

The real danger that exists this century is to slide back into totalitarianism, due to some crisis like a global depression, a disease epidemic, or another big war.

Good link. TY.

It is not just so called " progressives", who wrecking the system. The looney libertarians, such as the Tea Party, are also detrimental to rational policy. As a conservative, I believe government has a role, I don't believe governments should just sell everything off and was it's hands of all responsibly.

Close to 50% of the population is on government handouts, there are massive regulation and confiscation of wealth, national debt over 17 TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTrillion dollars...........

And on the other side of the coin, the super-rich and multinationals corporations pay little in taxation. Society is being attacked from both ends, the lazy and the wealthy.

Peter Thiel on markets, technology, and education
interview with Peter A. Thiel

In this episode of Uncommon Knowledge,guest Peter Thiel, one of Silicon Valley’s leading investors and thinkers, discusses his new book Zero to One. In it Thiel explains his theories on markets, monopolies, and the lack of new technology. Born in Germany, raised in California, Thiel is a US-ranked chess master and cofounder of PayPal and Palantir.

VIDEO
Peter Thiel on markets technology and education Hoover Institution

Forum List

Back