How can we disarm gangs?

Saigon

Gold Member
May 4, 2012
Helsinki, Finland
I am often told here that gangs are the main reason for the US's catastrophic gun violence statistics - so how can we disarm gangs and prevent them from rearming?

Would you support a military operation to sweep house-by-house through the worst neighbourhoods and confiscate all illegally held weapons that could be linked to gang violence?

That would be a violation of people rights. Taken away peoples rights so you can feel safe isnt the answer.

The bombing in Boston proves that the government can't protect you.

That would be a violation of people rights. Taken away peoples rights so you can feel safe isnt the answer.

So you support the rights of gangs to control entire neighbourhoods?

Do you not think gangs take away peoples rights?

Last edited:

So you support the rights of gangs to control entire neighbourhoods?

Saigon, gangs do not "control entire neighborhoods." Maybe there are neighborhoods in America where there is a lot of gang activity but they do not control it.

Also, hell no I wouldn't be in support of a house-to-house sweep. We have a little thing called the 4th Amendment and that is a clear violation of it.

S.j.

Let's try and stick to adult responses. I'll ignore the usual spamming.
House to house sweeps? It's obvious you are accustomed to bending over for your government by that suggestion. You'll never understand what it's like to be an American, which sucks for you, who are so used to oppression, you think it's the norm.

gangs do not "control entire neighborhoods."

Not having been to any of the neighbourhoods in question during my trips to the US, I couldn't say if gangs control neighbourhoods or not - but I am interested in what posters from some of the more violence US cities think about the idea.

To my mind anyone involved in violent crime has lost the right to claim legal protection from the police and authorities. Yes, everyone has a right to a fair trial, Miranda rights and so forth, but it seems a bit rich to me that a ganglord could hold a dozen illegal weapons in his house, use those guns to protect a drug operation, and then claim the 4th Amendment protects him from police intervention.

which sucks for you, who are so used to oppression,

What oppression, bauble?

By all means give concrete, actual examples of how this oppression functions.

Please do not spam the thread with off-topic gibberish. Either debate the topic sensibly or scroll past.

Last edited:
gangs do not "control entire neighborhoods."

Not having been to any of the neighbourhoods in question during my trips to the US, I couldn't say if gangs control neighbourhoods or not - but I am interested in what posters from some of the more violence US cities think about the idea.

To my mind anyone involved in violent crime has lost the right to claim legal protection from the police and authorities. Yes, everyone has a right to a fair trial, Miranda rights and so forth, but it seems a bit rich to me that a ganglord could hold a dozen illegal weapons in his house, use those guns to protect a drug operation, and then claim the 4th Amendment protects him from police intervention.

That is the beauty of America. A ganglord can have as many guns in his house that he wants, and until the police have probable cause, and get a warrant signed by a judge, he is protected in his home under the 4th Amendment.

And I live close to North Charleston, South Carolina, which is one of the most dangerous cities in America, and I am still not in favor of this idea. We have rights in this country, even the scumbags.

Wethepeople -

Those are good comments, thanks.

But I'm guessing that police have a fairly good idea where illegal weapons might be stored. I read the other day that 70,000 people in Chicago identify with some 300 particular gangs.

No doubt a lot of crime involves those gangs....should the police just ignore that problem?

Wethepeople -

But I'm guessing that police have a fairly good idea where illegal weapons might be stored. I read the other day that 70,000 people in Chicago identify with some 300 particular gangs.

No doubt a lot of crime involves those gangs....should the police just ignore that problem?
Does the fact that the most violent cities have the most restrictive gun laws tell you anything?

Does the fact that the most violent cities have the most restrictive gun laws tell you anything?

Yes - that imposing gun laws in one city or state when anyone can acquire weapons in neighbouring cities or states is largely pointless.

Gun control is NOT the topic of this thread - if you wish to discuss that, go to one of the many threads on the topic.

You disarm gangs by ending the Drug War. They'll have their weapons, but no reasons to use them for criminal purposes.

Also, you don't think criminals would be dumb enough to keep their weapons in a location where the police will find them (if there's a door to door sweep of every house), do you? The word would spread very quickly from the law-abiding citizens alone, never mind the criminals.

Last edited:

Yes - that imposing gun laws in one city or state when anyone can acquire weapons in neighbouring cities or states is largely pointless.

Gun control is NOT the topic of this thread - if you wish to discuss that, go to one of the many threads on the topic.
Going house to house to confiscate guns isn't about gun control???

Wethepeople -

No, I don't think the police should ignore it, and they don't. There are actually specific teams, called "gang units" where their entire job is to try and arrest gang members. These units know who the gangsters are, and where their "territory" is, however, they need evidence, to get their probable cause, to which they can get a warrant and make the arrest. Depending on how smart the gang is, it might take the gang units a little time to take them down. But they are working around the clock. Just like you said, 70,000 people identifying themselves in a gang is a LOT of people to watch, and try to get evidence, to bring them to justice.

You disarm gangs by ending the Drug War. They'll have their weapons, but no reasons to use them for criminal purposes.

Also, you don't think criminals would be dumb enough to keep their weapons in a location where the police will find them (if there's a door to door sweep of every house), do you? The word would spread very quickly from the law-abiding citizens alone, never mind the criminals.

I think you have a great point dude. If we end the war on drugs, I bet we would see a significant decrease in gun violence.

Forum List

Back