How Awesome Would the U.S. Economy Be If It Were Set Free from Massive Government Regulations?

bripat9643

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2011
Liberals like to pretend that regulations don't have a cost. The truth is that we are all vastly poorer as a result of government regulation. The negative effects of social programs like Social Security and Medicare have been even greater.

How Awesome Would the U.S. Economy Be If It Were Set Free from Massive Government Regulations

Imagine if the U.S.’s economy had grown an extra 1% every year since 1949 as a result from less strangulating federal regulation.

This is the thesis for a recent Forbes article by Rich Karlgaard, the magazine’s publisher and head writer. Using the concept of compound interest, along with an assertion that runaway federal tinkering and silly regulations have had a massive impact on the country’s economic growth over the decades, he gives a handful of answers to the question:

“Where would the U.S. economy be today without massive federal regulation?”

Here’s what he came up with:

1. The 2014 GDP would be $32 trillion, not $17 trillion.
  2. Per capita income would be $101,000, not $54,000.
  3. Per capita wealth would be $480,000, not $260,000. It would probably be higher than that, since savings rates might be higher.
  4. The U.S. would have no federal, state or municipal debts or deficits.
  5. Pensions would be solid. So would Social Security.
  6. The trend of new entrants to The Forbes 400 would not favor entrepreneurs in software, the Internet and financial services but would be more broadly distributed across all industries. Electronic bits–money and software–are less prone to regulation than such physical things as factories, transportation, etc.
  7. Faster, quieter successors to the supersonic Concorde? Cheap, safe nuclear power? Cancer-curing drugs for small populations? Bullet trains financed by private investors? Yes!
  8. The U.S. would have the resources to fight the multiplicity of threats from abroad, from ISIS to hackers.

I could finally sell you some tainted meat product...

How long do you think you would remain in business? Selling someone a product you know to be toxic could be considered murder and land you in prison.

Typical Red Herring. Most regulations have nothing to do with public safety...and a great deal to do with micromanagement/social engineering.

Light bulb ban, anyone?

Typical Red Herring. Most regulations have nothing to do with public safety...and a great deal to do with micromanagement/social engineering.

Light bulb ban, anyone?
So tainted meat product can be sold legally since no regulations or product inspection is necessary..currently?

Fuck! I'd lose 6-8% of my sales......which are in safety products designed to make sure workers don't kill or seriously injure themselves! OSHA......smosha!

There goes that cruise we were planning!

A proper level of regulation is absolutely necessary. The return of Glass Steagall or something like it would be a wonderful example.

The hard left is content to strangle those evil corporations with regulations.

The hard right is content to ignore the need for effective and efficient regulation and control of markets.

Equilibrium, baby.

I could use some child labor

Another red herring.

RW engaging in the typical false strawman of juxtaposing total anarchy with total government control as the only two alternatives.

The problem we have today is that major issues for which laws are appropriate have already been addressed. Now, we have increasingly complicated and impossible to understand laws which are designed by Big Government Cronies in order to socialize risk and privatize profit. The public benefit of such laws is actually a public loss.

A proper level of regulation is absolutely necessary. The return of Glass Steagall or something like it would be a wonderful example.

The hard left is content to strangle those evil corporations with regulations.

The hard right is content to ignore the need for effective and efficient regulation and control of markets.

Equilibrium, baby.

Name the hard left, please.

Earmuffs!

Fuck! I'd lose 6-8% of my sales......which are in safety products designed to make sure workers don't kill or seriously injure themselves! OSHA......smosha!

There goes that cruise we were planning!
I worked on scaffolding for 40 years and never fell off more than once or twice...and who cares when them Mexicans working on stadium roof tops get blown off and die...We don't nee no stinkin' rope attachment...

Light bulb ban, anyone?
So tainted meat product can be sold legally since no regulations or product inspection is necessary..currently?

Your strawman is burning.
So is you doll that is not made of fire retardant material...

How long do you think you would remain in business? Selling someone a product you know to be toxic could be considered murder and land you in prison.

Why give anyone the chance? I don't really care much for after-the-fact solutions. You ask how long they'd stay in business? Long enough to sock away a fortune and kill thousands. No thanks. For some problems there's nothing like prior restraint and the threat of long prison terms. If your solution worked there would have been no need for the regulations in the first place.

Forum List

Back