How an ex-RCMP officer raised an anti-abortion flag at Ottawa City Hall

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
I hope he was an honest man during his career because the RCMP have one of the worst reputations in the Western world in regards to their policing in 2017. He's 89 now, so he would have been active during the dark years in which they suspended Rights in Quebec in the 1970's during the FLQ crisis. Also, when they were caught setting fires to a barn and killing animals while working covertly. Not much has changed really, as we stab American businesses in the back. I digress.

The man had permission and flew his flag and he should be given that right as it was approved. As it were, since it's a pro-life flag there was of course going to be backlash by the Atheists who quickly organized and branded it a hate flag. His right is apparently not protected under our Charter. Remember America, we are NOT like you.

Have to love the usual over the top response from some of the usual actors. Check out the feigned exaggeration by the politician which I bolded. My guess is it is FAR more difficult for her to be in that building at all doing work rather than some artificial concern over a flag...

How an ex-RCMP officer raised an anti-abortion flag at Ottawa City Hall

Just after sunrise Thursday, 89-year-old Francis Barrett accomplished something that had never been done before in the nation's capital: raising an anti-abortion flag in front of City Hall.

The grey flag was emblazoned with the words "National March for Life Ottawa" in white and red, and as Barrett pulled on the rope to hoist the flag to the top of the pole, a crowd of more than 20 cheered and applauded.

"I was in second heaven," said Barrett, a retired RCMP intelligence officer who describes himself as a "pro-life warrior." He couldn't stop smiling at the sight of the waving flag, he said.

But others couldn't stomach what they saw.

The social media backlash began after a video of the anti-abortion flag raising was posted on Twitter around 11 a.m. ET. Two hours later, seven city councillors had signed a letter demanding the flag be taken down.

"It was very difficult to be in this building today, to have that flag flying outside," said Coun. Catherine McKenney.

"Women have a constitutional right to safe abortions and safe health care that includes abortion, and we cannot in any way as public office holders, as your City Hall, in the public space, give you any other message than that we are here to uphold all bylaws, all laws and your constitutional laws."

Last edited:

Forum List

Back