Housing: Thinking outside the box

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!

I have been all about micro living for the past year or so, I love the little houses. My wish would be to live in a boat house, which is just a micro home on water.

Please watch the video, and let me know what you think. Or offer up for discussion other "outside the house" living ideas.

I live in the lower half of my sister's townhouse. We can live more comfortably with me here contributing financially than we can each on our own. But if I ever leave here, I hope to be able to live on the water, or right next to it, whichever. I don't care. Crabs (cancer) gotta have water.

Last edited by a moderator:
This condo is about as micro as I have any desire to get. I love my house on the lake and would not settle for less. I worked for the space I have to live in and I won't take less.

A boat house, like the ones on the British canals, are neat and very livable.

The environment climate and political in which you live is what makes it problematic. If the river or canal or whatever floods or if it freezes or whatever, you don't what a houseboat. If the docking fees are high, then you need to figure that. And if you heat and cook with propane, be careful careful careful.

Ambitious to say the least. Solid ground is a great insulator. They won't have that. And the plumbing? How do they deal with that?

That's why he was there, to pick minds.

My guess; how do submarines deal with that?

z-117.jpg

• Banned
I think attempting it in the Harbor would be an overly ambitious starting point...not sure where would be a more sensible and viable option to initiate on a smaller and more manageable scale.

What makes it overly ambitious, in your estimation?

My thinking was - who owns the harbor? Can you just 'build' on it? Permits, hello?

But I think it's a good starting point on the overcrowded metro area possible solutions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjdBUqJlmNc

I have been all about micro living for the past year or so, I love the little houses. My wish would be to live in a boat house, which is just a micro home on water.

Please watch the video, and let me know what you think. Or offer up for discussion other "outside the house" living ideas.

I live in the lower half of my sister's townhouse. We can live more comfortably with me here contributing financially than we can each on our own. But if I ever leave here, I hope to be able to live on the water, or right next to it, whichever. I don't care. Crabs (cancer) gotta have water.

An interesting idea but ask anyone who lives in a houseboat about the issues involved. Or, look to Hollywood. A movie filmed on the water will be roughly double the cost of what it would be on land.

Something to ponder.

I think attempting it in the Harbor would be an overly ambitious starting point...not sure where would be a more sensible and viable option to initiate on a smaller and more manageable scale.

What makes it overly ambitious, in your estimation?

My thinking was - who owns the harbor? Can you just 'build' on it? Permits, hello?

But I think it's a good starting point on the overcrowded metro area possible solutions.

Yes, a regulation nightmare...and I'm not sure environmentalists would approve of encroaching on the wetlands habitat.

What they describe here is simply a concept. I couldn't really tell from the presentation if it was going to be like an apartment building, or actually a bunch of houses on lik a massive carrier-type ship.

If I was going to plan a community, I'd start with a southeast-facing hillside.

Then I would recess into that hillside shipping containers that have been modified into living quarters - with plenty of windows. Cover the tops with dirt, and terrace the place with streets.

House boats have been used for a very long time............

Nothing wrong with them or the concept, but you have to understand how they perform in storms or surges..........which isn't as simple.

You also have to deal with Corrosion which is extensive in Salt Water....there are systems to limit corrosion, but they are not always cheap........But being able to fish off your home a few feet away isn't that bad a deal.............

Sounds very expensive.

I like that. I like homes that appear to be part of their surroundings.

I changed my mind. I want a treehouse, lakeside. ;)

You're such a romantic LOL.

I've had that vision of a housing community for some 30 years. I know it could work. And it would be affordable, energy efficient, and it would recycle those damn containers of which there are untold thousands being unused and/or scrapped out.

And I bet one large-scale geothermal heat pump could service at least a dozen such structures.

No windmills or solar panels tho. Just lots of passive shit.

I like that. I like homes that appear to be part of their surroundings.

I changed my mind. I want a treehouse, lakeside. ;)

You're such a romantic LOL.

I've had that vision of a housing community for some 30 years. I know it could work. And it would be affordable, energy efficient, and it would recycle those damn containers of which there are untold thousands being unused and/or scrapped out.

And I bet one large-scale geothermal heat pump could service at least a dozen such structures.

No windmills or solar panels tho. Just lots of passive shit.

I am calmed by the sound of the wind in the trees and the waves on the shore.

I'd tell you to shoosh, but I need to pick your brain about the passive shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjdBUqJlmNc

You can get little wee houses to go and even put some of them on a pick up truck. Well.. Almost.

littleyellowdoor | The scatterbrained construction of a happy wee house?

Small House Plans and Homes

Forum List

Back