House question about Power Transfer Switch

Chuckt

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2013
I need a power transfer switch for my house. Does anyone have experience with them?

One manufacturer says I need to have the same plug from the generator to the outlet and there are different plugs according to one brochure.

Are plugs for running recreational vehicles all the same? Because then I would chose that plug for my power transfer switch. I'm just hoping they are all the same and I know I need a bigger generator to power all of our house but we haven't bought it yet.

You need to be very careful here and know what you are doing or get a licensed electrician. The transfer switch has to disconnect the feed from the utility. It is a felony if you get it wrong. The reason being, if you are hooked up to a generator and it backfeeds the line you can kill a lineman.

You need to be very careful here and know what you are doing or get a licensed electrician. The transfer switch has to disconnect the feed from the utility. It is a felony if you get it wrong. The reason being, if you are hooked up to a generator and it backfeeds the line you can kill a lineman.

Thank you. My neighbor is a licensed contractor and we have a licensed electrician. I want to give the job to my neighbor who is a licensed contractor but I wanted to do the shopping because they were selling a transfer switch that did six circuits and I found out for a little more and I found that I could do 10 circuits or more.

Forum List

Back