House Passes 1.1 Trillion With 5,000 Earmarks? Say it Ain't So

do we really need a fiscal conservative?

the 'fiscal conservative' label carries too many 'earmarks' when looked at in the context of GOP econ policy. i think that cutting taxes is near its diminishing returns. its not demonstrated that republicans understand the contradiction between borrowing and conservatism. in a less and less industrialized economy, trickle-down isnt such a plausible mechanism -- but for affecting nepotism. ok, steer clear of outright protectionism, but greasing the rails for businesses to manufacture overseas has been a demonstrated GOP agenda, with no effort to moderate its effects at least.

all the while clinton is the conservatism poster-child! its expected his party will be the one to produce the next, albeit progressive, conservative.

the GOP has got a long way to go to show that they can be trusted in the oval. it would be welcomed if they purge the house. if theres got to be a pelosi, id rather she be a minority leader.

i recognize youre probably not looking at this from a partisan perspective, but in the end, we have to rely on these parties to change in order for any real change to come about. i dont buy into the idea that some independent force could do as much.

the 'fiscal conservative' label carries too many 'earmarks' when looked at in the context of GOP econ policy. i think that cutting taxes is near its diminishing returns. its not demonstrated that republicans understand the contradiction between borrowing and conservatism. in a less and less industrialized economy, trickle-down isnt such a plausible mechanism -- but for affecting nepotism. ok, steer clear of outright protectionism, but greasing the rails for businesses to manufacture overseas has been a demonstrated GOP agenda, with no effort to moderate its effects at least.

all the while clinton is the conservatism poster-child! its expected his party will be the one to produce the next, albeit progressive, conservative.

the GOP has got a long way to go to show that they can be trusted in the oval. it would be welcomed if they purge the house. if theres got to be a pelosi, id rather she be a minority leader.

i recognize youre probably not looking at this from a partisan perspective, but in the end, we have to rely on these parties to change in order for any real change to come about. i dont buy into the idea that some independent force could do as much.

I guess your saying that obama is a fiscal conservative, if not then your deflecting as to the problem we are having today.

I guess your saying that obama is a fiscal conservative, if not then your deflecting as to the problem we are having today.

somewhere in between, really. if youre clammoring to call obamas presidency on his first 10 months, i suspect you listen to radio-republican. i dont, so like a lot of indy voters, im waiting to see what the government will be up to for the next year or more. im focusing on getting me and my employees out of the downturn unscathed.

democrats believe in micromanagement of the governments role in the economy. that is all about keynesian displacement for them when its in the dumps like this. its more effective than war spending, i think. it may be more sound than conservatism for some of the reasons above.

from the pressure our debtors (china) are putting on us and the fledgling party legacy of budget parity, maybe we'll see a serious turn toward clinton-style conservatism in 2011. thats way past the limbaugh fan's attention span, but back to veto power, if the GOP could do next year what they did in 94, all obama could do is play clinton.

as for 'the problem we're having today', i seen it unfold for years, but if you miss your exit on the freeway, should you slam on the brakes?

somewhere in between, really. if youre clammoring to call obamas presidency on his first 10 months, i suspect you listen to radio-republican. i dont, so like a lot of indy voters, im waiting to see what the government will be up to for the next year or more. im focusing on getting me and my employees out of the downturn unscathed.

democrats believe in micromanagement of the governments role in the economy. that is all about keynesian displacement for them when its in the dumps like this. its more effective than war spending, i think. it may be more sound than conservatism for some of the reasons above.

from the pressure our debtors (china) are putting on us and the fledgling party legacy of budget parity, maybe we'll see a serious turn toward clinton-style conservatism in 2011. thats way past the limbaugh fan's attention span, but back to veto power, if the GOP could do next year what they did in 94, all obama could do is play clinton.

as for 'the problem we're having today', i seen it unfold for years, but if you miss your exit on the freeway, should you slam on the brakes?

Next year or more could ruin our economy in the way he is muscling his polices, and it will take 3 generations to clean it up, if it will be possible at all. Our credit rating as a nation is at risk, our dollar is weaking, and our deficit is rising. Inflation could very well kick in this coming year if we don't put on the "brakes"

Last edited:
so you say. im with the take the next exit and back-track group. all of the neoconservative brilliance on the economy should have been brought to bare the last decade. arguably it has, but it just wasnt that brilliant.

understanding monetary policy and all that, i still marginalize the role of government as just a part of the picture. maybe because ive been a businessman from before i could vote, i see my actions playing a bigger role than obama's in my life. cumilatively, the business community outplays the government in the national economy. republicans feel that way when theres a republican president stinking it up, but now, like in 92, its a different story.

the man said its going to take a while before we turn this shit around, you hold him to your 3 generations if you want. i think thats a bit overboard.

bush-budget-2009.jpg

the CATO institute!....ouch.

so he's a little worse than Bush, who has the reputation of being the worst president ever. Good for the boyking.

Are those the same bees that ended up with having a virus, or bacteria...those bees? Or are they the ones where cell phone towers where killing them? Get real

The new study of sick bees disclosed fragments of ribosomal RNA in their gut, an indication of damage to the ribosomes, which make proteins necessary for life, according to a study in Tuesday's issue of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

New clue found to disappearing honey bees - Science- msnbc.com

Thank you for proving my point "Meister" baitor. Republicans are like "children's scissors, cute, colorful, not too sharp.

If only I was a republican rdean. What I had stated was from the studies of their time, and you found one of this time, and there will be another one after this one. Your the one that got baited, typical far left democrat

I never said you were a Republican, but if it looks like a duck and talks like a duck.....Quack!

The new study of sick bees disclosed fragments of ribosomal RNA in their gut, an indication of damage to the ribosomes, which make proteins necessary for life, according to a study in Tuesday's issue of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

New clue found to disappearing honey bees - Science- msnbc.com

Thank you for proving my point "Meister" baitor. Republicans are like "children's scissors, cute, colorful, not too sharp.

If only I was a republican rdean. What I had stated was from the studies of their time, and you found one of this time, and there will be another one after this one. Your the one that got baited, typical far left democrat

I never said you were a Republican, but if it looks like a duck and talks like a duck.....Quack!
for you, anyone to the right of Karl Marx is a republican.

Merriam-Webster has added a definition of the term "earmark" to the latest edition of its dictionary: "A provision in congressional legislation that allocates a specified amount of money for a specific project, program or organization."

Merriam-Webster dictionary adds 'earmark' definition - Los Angeles Times

The problem isn't the earmarks, but what the money is spent on. Building a single bridge to nowhere is a waste of money. However, starting a program that rebuilds at least the worst of the nations 70,000 bridges that have been deemed unsafe is a good investment. Those would be quality jobs that would spur tax revenues which would in turn create more jobs.

Republicans will say, "Rebuild bridges, why?" Then Democrats point out the Minnesota bridge that collapsed during rush hour in 2007 and point out that once again, Republicans did NOTHING. Why, because we had to pay Halliburton and Blackwater in Iraq. Republicans say screw the US. And Republicans want another shot at it.

Infrastructure is what was reported Obama's plan, but so far, I haven't seen things move in that direction. Studies won't do it. We need earmarks that create long lasting jobs which in turn will produce self sustaining revenue.

Last edited by a moderator:
so you say. im with the take the next exit and back-track group. all of the neoconservative brilliance on the economy should have been brought to bare the last decade. arguably it has, but it just wasnt that brilliant.

understanding monetary policy and all that, i still marginalize the role of government as just a part of the picture. maybe because ive been a businessman from before i could vote, i see my actions playing a bigger role than obama's in my life. cumilatively, the business community outplays the government in the national economy. republicans feel that way when theres a republican president stinking it up, but now, like in 92, its a different story.

the man said its going to take a while before we turn this shit around, you hold him to your 3 generations if you want. i think thats a bit overboard.

Do not confuse the GOP with conservatives. The GOP hasn't been conservative for quite a while now.

understood, but i wonder when it ever was. reagan's conservatism was such a flash in the pan, it hardly can be distiguished on a 30-year tmeline.

i digress to all issues govt and political being inevitably partisan. especially in november, espescially in that booth.

Neoconservative? That's all I need to know about where you stand, antagon. You too would follow YOUR messiah over the cliff with the rest of YOUR far left buddies. Hopefully the republicans, or a strong third party can cut into this super majority that YOUR party is enjoying right now. With this administration, gridlock would be a win for conservatives.
The government is trying to get into the the private sector, antagon. Look at their stake in the lending institutions, auto indsustry, and trying to get a foot in the door of healthcare. Have you been sleeping through that, or just ignoring it? Maybe you encourage it?
You boasting about being a businessman really does not equate to your intelligence. I've seen a lot of stupid businessmen in my years.

In recent history all politicians say all kind of good stuff to get elected and then do what they please. They get away with it because of our stort term memory and being programmed by the vidiot tube/panel.

Remember Bush's promises? Not into nation building, for balanced budget, smaller govt, etc.

So I take it by your response then that you agree that congress is bascially watering down the message for President Obama by it's spending to the point where the "Change" message looks more or less like the "Same old thing"? I'm quite well aware of the Bush Administrations negatives however as the Bush Administration is no longer in power about the only thing we can do there is to say, "oh well". However, in this case if you as a democrat feel that congress is not holding up it's end of the bargin then you can do something. Let me give you jsut one small example, it's not secret that progressives and many Democrats want healthcare reform but what perhaps is lost in all this is, so do a lot of Republicans. Do you know that had we not bailed out GM and Chrysler, to prevent bankruptcy which by the way they did anyway, and done the Stimulus which so far has failed miserably in terms of job creation then guess what, all that money spent could have been spent on a robust fix of Medicare program for everyone. Just a thought.

I have seen no indications that a lot fo Republicans want health care reform.

Unless you call wanting to do away with medcare/medicaid a reform?

Then I invite you to read this Republicans postings on the subject. While I don't think that Republicans are opposed to healthcare reform, I do think , myself among them, that most are not happy with a bill that actually raises premiums, cuts medicare, and imposes billions of unfunded mandates on the states is quite what you would call reform. In fact in many of my postings I have long advocated shoring up Medicare and have offered many suggestions for reform.

And no earmarks for Republicans in it?

Just what is an earmark anyway? Considering the stimulus plan most anything in there can be considered an earmark.

You do realize the last Presidential candidate for the Republicans has never taken an earmark and consistently votes them down. Mr John McCain.

Neoconservative? That's all I need to know about where you stand, antagon. You too would follow YOUR messiah over the cliff with the rest of YOUR far left buddies. Hopefully the republicans, or a strong third party can cut into this super majority that YOUR party is enjoying right now. With this administration, gridlock would be a win for conservatives.
The government is trying to get into the the private sector, antagon. Look at their stake in the lending institutions, auto indsustry, and trying to get a foot in the door of healthcare. Have you been sleeping through that, or just ignoring it? Maybe you encourage it?
You boasting about being a businessman really does not equate to your intelligence. I've seen a lot of stupid businessmen in my years.

MY messiah. :lol:

i call bush's brand of conservatism neocon. i think its a flattering term, all things considered.

i think big biz is stumbling. an emerging reality, but the other end of the spectrum from my lil deals.

i used to talk trash about the govt seizing banks, but the paybacks trickling back at a profit knocked the wind out of my fiscal calamity arguement. the automakers, on the other hand, might not pose a good investment op. the point there is that they needed uncle sam to pry the union off of them. its like helping an old lady accross the street. its hard to imagine letting gm perish catastrophically to uphold free enterprise principals. youre into that stuff? too textbook for the real world's how i see it.

im proud of my lil companies, but theres nothing huge to boast about, i know that in great detail. operating them's more humbling than some lil online pot-shots at my smarts, buddy.

while some people dont think any method's been applied to MY messiah's work with the economy, i just point out that there's just as much or more merit to his approach as the increasingly less credible post-reagan conservative angle.

i said earlier, im all for the gridlock, but republicans got to step it up beyond the limbaugh crowd to affect it.

What is a neo- anything? I have seen that term used and I don't have a clue as to what it implies.

Just what is an earmark anyway? Considering the stimulus plan most anything in there can be considered an earmark.

eramraks are the same as a bribe......put a mill in there for my pet project in my home district and you have my vote.....there were 5000 of those.....wonder who got more than one....

and yep the dems are as bad as the pubs.....yet you keep voting the same idiots into office and expect things to change......

YOur so right. Both parties spend like drunken sailors. THats why they keep getting re-elected.

eramraks are the same as a bribe......put a mill in there for my pet project in my home district and you have my vote.....there were 5000 of those.....wonder who got more than one....

and yep the dems are as bad as the pubs.....yet you keep voting the same idiots into office and expect things to change......

YOur so right. Both parties spend like drunken sailors. THats why they keep getting re-elected.

for an alternative view...

earmarks allow the federal government to fund things without them being part of an elaborate government program, or pork-barrel spending. republicans have gotten real handy with earmark spending for political reasons, yes, but also as a practical way to get things done in their districts without 'making a huge project out of it'.

no coincidence obama came riding in on the cut the earmarks horse, aiming for the balls of the republican promise machine.

i say its more a matter of how theyre used and for what. the same applies to the pork-barrel, which is not what you want to necessarily show preferrence toward. you seen that pie chart with the relative value of the earmark spending above. take it to heart.

Forum List

Back