House Of Dragons Compared to Rings Of Power.....No Contest

View attachment 691846
*Daenerys Targaryen sitting in Dragon Stone Castle*

I've watched two episodes of "House of Dragons" and two episodes of "Rings of Power"

House of Dragons is compelling and dramatic.

Rings of Power is confusing.....and doesn't even remind me of Lord Of The Rings even remotely.

House of Dragons doesn't require the viewer to have to have read the books to know what's going on...because it explains what's going on, while Rings of Power only has two characters from the Lord Of The Rings that are even remotely recognizable.

I hear that the critics are ripping Rings of Power to shreds....but they are captivated by the early episodes of House of Dragons. It has characters that are interesting and true to original works of the author....without any major changes of the characters genders or ethnicity.

It's possible that the new GOT series may put the original to shame eventually.....but I can't say the same for the Tolkien offering.
For one....Elves don't wear Buzz Cuts. Also....there were no black Elves. At least not in the books.

View attachment 691848
*Arondir from "Rings Of Power"*

View attachment 691847
*Princess Rhaenyra Targeryan*

Links

The black families in House of Dragons is weird. They just HAD to woke it up, but fortunately it isnt too distracting. Im actually enjoying House of Dragons a lot. How badass is that Daemon guy? That shit he pulls at the end of episode 3 is pretty epic!

The black families in House of Dragons is weird. They just HAD to woke it up, but fortunately it isnt too distracting. Im actually enjoying House of Dragons a lot. How badass is that Daemon guy? That shit he pulls at the end of episode 3 is pretty epic!
I think he's the Jon Snow of this series.

Last edited:
I think he's the Jon Snow if this series.
No, he is the Cersi of this series. He will be going to war with his niece, by season 2 i predict. I thought i read somewhere that next season will have new actors because time is going to jump forward, so his niece is going to be grown up in season 2, i think. Im guessing they want her now 2 year old brother to be an adult and challenge the throne.

No, he is the Cersi of this series. He will be going to war with his niece, by season 2 i predict. I thought i read somewhere that next season will have new actors because time is going to jump forward, so his niece is going to be grown up in season 2, i think. Im guessing they want her now 2 year old brother to be an adult and challenge the throne.
His niece will be a new actress but he remains all the way thru the series.
There is nobody in this series that is like the original....but I have a feeling that Daemon will be the glue that holds it all together. His personality is more like "The King Slayer"....but he's more unpredictable and impulsive.
Oh....and there's a bunch of incest in this family.....which becomes a problem and the cause of the destruction of the Dragon Pit.

View attachment 691846

I've watched two episodes of "House of Dragons" and two episodes of "Rings of Power"

Rings of Power is confusing.....and doesn't even remind me of Lord Of The Rings even remotely.

House of Dragons doesn't require the viewer to have to have read the books to know what's going on...because it explains what's going on, while Rings of Power only has two characters from the Lord Of The Rings that are even remotely recognizable.

I hear that the critics are ripping Rings of Power to shreds....but they are captivated by the early episodes of House of Dragons. It has characters that are interesting and true to original works of the author....without any major changes of the characters genders or ethnicity.

It's possible that the new GOT series may put the original to shame eventually.....but I can't say the same for the Tolkien offering.
For one....Elves don't wear Buzz Cuts. Also....there were no black Elves. At least not in the books.

View attachment 691848

View attachment 691847

Links

I just finished watching the House of the Dragon. I've watched all three of the Rings of Power.

House of the Dragon is by far, a superior production. So far. I've read Fire & Blood: The Targaryen Dynasty: House of the Dragon and they are close to the book, but not following it too closely.

The Rings of Power are NOT Tolkien. Period. They take place in his world vision, but honestly, I think they are taking liberties with some backstory. It is not as well acted, but the production is pretty good and I can, so far, follow the story and how it might fit into a prequel to war with Sauron.

I'll continue to watch them as I didn't find them all that horrible.

Which would be a mistake, unless they run a long first season.

View attachment 691846

View attachment 691848

View attachment 691847

Links

I completely agree House of Dragons is a worthy follow up to Game of Thrones. Rings of Power does not seem to have good continuity and the principal characters are just not that interesting.

The best series on HBO are far better than the originals I have seen on Prime or Netflix:
Game of Thrones
The Sopranos
The Wire
Band of Brothers
Deadwood
Carnivale
John Adams

The Rings of Power is an insult to fans​

Amazon has tried to shut down any criticism of its dreadful Lord of the Rings prequel.

The Hollywood elites have not taken the criticism well. The media have blamed the low ratings on a ‘racist backlash’ to the show’s diverse casting (it features a Latino elf, a black dwarf and multiethnic ‘harfoots’). Some claim that the poor ratings on Amazon are the result of deliberate trolling – or ‘review bombing’ – from alleged racists who object to the show’s diversity.

Of course, the real reason audiences hate The Rings of Power, despite its eye-watering budget, is that it is a complete dud.

Amazon’s The Rings of Power, though loosely based on Tolkien’s background lore, is a new story entirely. Unfortunately, this leaves Middle Earth and its inhabitants at the mercy of Hollywood’s tedious, philistine writers.

Take the way the series uses the right-on Hollywood trope of the ‘girlboss’. It is everywhere in The Rings of Power. Galadriel – the serene, noble elf queen rendered so timelessly by Cate Blanchett in Jackson’s films – is reduced to an invincible, acrobatic action lady with a chip on her shoulder.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2022/09/13/so-now-you-care-about-free-speech/

The Rings of Power is an insult to fans​

Amazon has tried to shut down any criticism of its dreadful Lord of the Rings prequel.

The Hollywood elites have not taken the criticism well. The media have blamed the low ratings on a ‘racist backlash’ to the show’s diverse casting (it features a Latino elf, a black dwarf and multiethnic ‘harfoots’). Some claim that the poor ratings on Amazon are the result of deliberate trolling – or ‘review bombing’ – from alleged racists who object to the show’s diversity.

Of course, the real reason audiences hate The Rings of Power, despite its eye-watering budget, is that it is a complete dud.

Amazon’s The Rings of Power, though loosely based on Tolkien’s background lore, is a new story entirely. Unfortunately, this leaves Middle Earth and its inhabitants at the mercy of Hollywood’s tedious, philistine writers.

Take the way the series uses the right-on Hollywood trope of the ‘girlboss’. It is everywhere in The Rings of Power. Galadriel – the serene, noble elf queen rendered so timelessly by Cate Blanchett in Jackson’s films – is reduced to an invincible, acrobatic action lady with a chip on her shoulder.

So now you care about free speech?
I've only watched one episode of The Rings of Power but I have watched all of the first season of House of Dragons. It is a pre-sequel to Game of Thrones. I don't think it's quite as good as Game of Thrones but it's a very good series. The scenes with the dragons are very impressive and the story keeps you coming back for more. However, sometimes the story jumps years from episode to episode so you have to pay attention. The big negative like a lot of good HBO series is you often have to wait a long time for the next season. House of Dragons second season does not start filming till next January which means HBO probably won't release it till 2024.

Forum List

Back