House GOP Votes Unanimously to Protect Big Oil Subsidies

Seriously tho, who believes giving subsidies is a good idea BECAUSE the oil companies will make us pay at the pump?

Cause we're giving them subsidies right now and gas is at $3.40...Thats 2008 levels right there!

That's the GOP for you. Not unilaterally renegging on contracts and trying to act as if they never existed. If you want to change the structure of new leases going forward, that's legit. This would be like Governor Walker demanding all retired employees pay the state an additional percentage for every year they worked in order to keep their retirment benefits. I'm sure you're all for that.

Who said anything about renegging on contracts? Contracts can be honored or renegotiated. So, how do you feel about big oil, with its billions in profits and bonuses, getting your tax dollars?

Yeah this is not contract renegging like with the teachers/public workers unions up north.
It is only wrong to reneg on contracts with corporations not the working class.

So what specific "subsidy" are they talking about. The House website think progress links to in the article says it's about revoking royalty free leases. Not only that, they're talking about pretending like the leases never existed so the oil companies will be obligated to pay royalties for past production under the leases. Leases are a contract. The legislation is about unilaterally revoking those contracts and pretending they never existed. Is the House website lying now? Or are you being a dumbass?

Like I said, if you think what's going on in Wisconsin is wrong this definitely is. Thanks for proving my point and agreeing with me.

It is Gospel Buddy, If you really do not think the oil Companies will find a way to pass the costs along to us, then you are the fucking Idiot.

You do realize we get far more than Just Gas from Oil right? You don't think they can bump up the price of Motor oil, or tar for Roads, or anyone of the hundreds of other products that come from Oil?

Really?

Hey I know why don't you call me some more names again. That will make you feel better.

So you can't prove your bogus claim? That's what I thought. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks for playing.

Y O U F A I L
horse-poop.gif

Keep thinking you won something Buddy.

Everyone that actually uses their Brains, and not just Emotions, Knows beyond a Doubt that if you cause the Cost of Getting oil to go up for the Oil Companys that they will undoubtedly raise prices on their Products, Not just Gas, but all the hundreds of Products the Oil is part of.

So thank you too, for playing.

At least you made one post with out childish Name calling, I commend you for that at least.

Still waiting on that link to your bogus claim. All I keep getting is your opinion.

Forbes was on Fox News today.

Forbes was appalled at what Obama and his voicebox Secretary of Energy Salazar are doing.

These idiots have effectively shut down all domestic Oil & Gas drilling of all type....offshore and in-country while our Oil & Gas prices are going thru the roof......and there is every indication that the troubles in the Mid East will result in a fantastic CATASTROPHE !!!

As I understand it, we have enough Oil & Gas resources to be independent from the Mid East Oily Sheiks, and enemies of America like the scoundrel Hugo Chavez, etc.....

YET, OBAMA and his IDIOTIC VOICEBOX SALAZAR HAVE SHUT DOWN THE ISSUANCE OF ALL, OR PRACTICALY ALL, THE PERMITS FOR OIL & GAS DRILLING , OF ALL KINDS IN AMERICA !!!

The moratorium on Off-shore Gas drilling has ended......yet, with all the troubles brewing in the mid East...with that area about to explode......what does Obama do ???? He iinstructed his idiot voice-box Salazar NOT TO ISSUE THE PERMITS FOR OIL & GAS DRILLING !!!!

And what do I read in this bogus thread ????

A conglomeration of retarded Obamarrhoidal LibTURDS howling and yowling about Oil subsidies when our Nation being a hostage to the Mid East Sheiks and scoundrels like Hugo Chavez is about to have cars blocks and blocks long, wrapped around the gas stations.....creating what happened in the 70s or 80s a fucking joke.

Google the following.....and read the articles:

"Secretary of Energy Salazar."

What kind of subsidies are we paying to oil companies?

We should stop paying subsidies to everyone. Oil can produce plenty of their own wealth. Let's just get the red tape out of their way and let them produce energy for us.

If the oil keeps going up the way it has because we refuse to produce the energy we need, people will die. Do you people who hate oil so much realize that?

So you can't prove your bogus claim? That's what I thought. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks for playing.

Y O U F A I L
horse-poop.gif

Everyone that actually uses their Brains, and not just Emotions, Knows beyond a Doubt that if you cause the Cost of Getting oil to go up for the Oil Companys that they will undoubtedly raise prices on their Products, Not just Gas, but all the hundreds of Products the Oil is part of.

At least you made one post with out childish Name calling, I commend you for that at least.

Still waiting on that link to your bogus claim. All I keep getting is your opinion.

I told you it was my Opinion there bud, why don't you try explaining to me how an Oil Company is not going to raise it's prices on the things it can, if you take away their Subsidies? Or do you think they would just eat the new higher cost of doing business?

Really?

I told you it was my Opinion there bud, why don't you try explaining to me how an Oil Company is not going to raise it's prices on the things it can, if you take away their Subsidies? Or do you think they would just eat the new higher cost of doing business?

Really?
So you are saying the "MARKET" does not control oil prices, the oil monopoly can charge whatever they damn well please because there is no competition in the oil industry.
Thank you!

Forbes was on Fox News today.

Forbes was appalled at what Obama and his voicebox Secretary of Energy Salazar are doing.

These idiots have effectively shut down all domestic Oil & Gas drilling of all type....offshore and in-country while our Oil & Gas prices are going thru the roof......and there is every indication that the troubles in the Mid East will result in a fantastic CATASTROPHE !!!

As I understand it, we have enough Oil & Gas resources to be independent from the Mid East Oily Sheiks, and enemies of America like the scoundrel Hugo Chavez, etc.....

YET, OBAMA and his IDIOTIC VOICEBOX SALAZAR HAVE SHUT DOWN THE ISSUANCE OF ALL, OR PRACTICALY ALL, THE PERMITS FOR OIL & GAS DRILLING , OF ALL KINDS IN AMERICA !!!

The moratorium on Off-shore Gas drilling has ended......yet, with all the troubles brewing in the mid East...with that area about to explode......what does Obama do ???? He iinstructed his idiot voice-box Salazar NOT TO ISSUE THE PERMITS FOR OIL & GAS DRILLING !!!!

And what do I read in this bogus thread ????

A conglomeration of retarded Obamarrhoidal LibTURDS howling and yowling about Oil subsidies when our Nation being a hostage to the Mid East Sheiks and scoundrels like Hugo Chavez is about to have cars blocks and blocks long, wrapped around the gas stations.....creating what happened in the 70s or 80s a fucking joke.

Google the following.....and read the articles:

"Secretary of Energy Salazar."

Actually the rig count is up by 326 (total number of active rigs in the US [1699]) compared to this time last year.

Baker Hughes Incorporated - Overview & FAQ

Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Kuwait make up less than 10 % of our total imports.

Crude Oil and Total Petroleum Imports Top 15 Countries

Also I believe the US is the third largest producer of petroleum in the world. The probem is that we consume over twice as much as we produce.

oil companies should NOT be getting tax payer's subsidies. PERIOD

why should they get subsidies from our tax money that are not given to other corporations that work just as hard?

this is BS.

That's the GOP for you. They vote to cut programs and funding for organisations that benefit women and poor families, but stand behind their corporate overlords by voting unanimously to keep millions in tax payer subsidies for oils companies that rake in billions in profits and give away millions in bonuses.

ThinkProgress » House GOP Says ‘So Be It’ To Taxpayers, Votes Unanimously to Protect Big Oil Subsidies

House Republicans voted in lockstep this afternoon to protect corporate welfare for Big Oil, even as they call for draconian cuts to programs that everyday Americans depend on each day. As the House of Representatives moved toward approving a stopgap resolution to avert a government shutdown for another two weeks, Democrats offered a motion to recommit that would have stripped the five largest oil companies of taxpayer subsidies, saving tens of billions of dollars in taxpayer funds. The motion failed on a vote of 176-249, with all Republicans voting against (approximately a dozen Democrats joined the GOP). A similar vote two weeks ago to recoup $53 billion in taxpayer funds from Big Oil was also voted down, largely along party lines. The former CEO of Shell Oil, John Hoffmeister, recently said Big Oil doesn’t need subsidies “in face of sustained high oil prices.” From 2005 to 2009, the largest oil companies have made a combined $485 billion in profits.

Translation, GOP votes to help keep Oil Prices from Rising any Further.

Oh how horrible of them.

The government shouldn't be interfering with the prices of commodities. Price ceilings on gasoline is what caused the shortages under Nixon. The OP has a valid point. We also shouldn't be giving special tax privileges to one industry, but not others. It's not fair competition. Furthermore, the oil industry is huge and there is no reason for it to be the beneficiary of corporate welfare.

Last edited:
That's the GOP for you. They vote to cut programs and funding for organisations that benefit women and poor families, but stand behind their corporate overlords by voting unanimously to keep millions in tax payer subsidies for oils companies that rake in billions in profits and give away millions in bonuses.

Oh how horrible of them.

The government shouldn't be interfering with the prices of commodities. Price ceilings on gasoline is what caused the shortages under Nixon. The OP has a valid point. We also shouldn't be giving special tax privileges to one industry, but not others. It's not fair competition. Furthermore, the oil industry is huge and there is no reason for it to be the beneficiary of corporate welfare.

precisely!

ThinkProgress » House GOP Says ‘So Be It’ To Taxpayers, Votes Unanimously to Protect Big Oil Subsidies

House Republicans voted in lockstep this afternoon to protect corporate welfare for Big Oil, even as they call for draconian cuts to programs that everyday Americans depend on each day. As the House of Representatives moved toward approving a stopgap resolution to avert a government shutdown for another two weeks, Democrats offered a motion to recommit that would have stripped the five largest oil companies of taxpayer subsidies, saving tens of billions of dollars in taxpayer funds. The motion failed on a vote of 176-249, with all Republicans voting against (approximately a dozen Democrats joined the GOP). A similar vote two weeks ago to recoup $53 billion in taxpayer funds from Big Oil was also voted down, largely along party lines. The former CEO of Shell Oil, John Hoffmeister, recently said Big Oil doesn’t need subsidies “in face of sustained high oil prices.” From 2005 to 2009, the largest oil companies have made a combined $485 billion in profits.

Oh how horrible of them.

I'm sure that was meant to be "satire".

Gasoline is now $3.99 per gallon in Oaklantown. With unemployment still well above 12%, let's increase gasoline prices even more by increasing taxes on oil companies! That should hasten the double dip recession and help fulfill Obama's campaign promise that energy prices would skyrocket.

:clap2:

Im GLAD!

Gasoline is now $3.99 per gallon in Oaklantown. With unemployment still well above 12%, let's increase gasoline prices even more by increasing taxes on oil companies! That should hasten the double dip recession and help fulfill Obama's campaign promise that energy prices would skyrocket.

:eusa_shhh:

And this, the gas prices, has to do with the tax payer subsidies how?

I just filled my tank for $3.11/gal in NJ.

Gas prices rise nationwide - Mar. 2, 2011
By Ben Rooney, staff reporterMarch 2, 2011: 11:51 AM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Gas prices continue to rise for the eighth day in a row, as the effect of high oil prices trickles down to the pump.
The national average price for a gallon of regular gasoline rose 1.2 cents Wednesday to $3.387, according to a daily survey from motorist group AAA. Prices have jumped 23.6 cents over the past eight days.

Prices at the pump can vary widely among states, due in large part to vastly different levels of gasoline tax.
Gasoline prices and taxes by state

More

Drivers in Hawaii continue to pay the highest prices in the nation, with the average price per gallon at $3.80. The lowest gas prices are in Wyoming, where drivers pay $3.09 a gallon on average.

Last edited:

The overall cost structure of the oil business. If the government changes the tax deal and increases their costs, oil companies will raise prices - just like they do when the barrel price goes up.

The overall cost structure of the oil business. If the government changes the tax deal and increases their costs, oil companies will raise prices - just like they do when the barrel price goes up.

got any proof?

the tax burden changed each year with the corporations I have worked for, and those of us determining the competitive retail price of the product NEVER took what the tax rate would be this year or last year in to consideration in to determining the proper retail price for the product.

maybe if you are a monopoly, you can just price things that way....but otherwise, the consumer market is suppose to determine it.

Forum List

Back