House GOP Votes Unanimously to Protect Big Oil Subsidies

That's the GOP for you. They vote to cut programs and funding for organisations that benefit women and poor families, but stand behind their corporate overlords by voting unanimously to keep millions in tax payer subsidies for oils companies that rake in billions in profits and give away millions in bonuses.

ThinkProgress » House GOP Says ‘So Be It’ To Taxpayers, Votes Unanimously to Protect Big Oil Subsidies

House Republicans voted in lockstep this afternoon to protect corporate welfare for Big Oil, even as they call for draconian cuts to programs that everyday Americans depend on each day. As the House of Representatives moved toward approving a stopgap resolution to avert a government shutdown for another two weeks, Democrats offered a motion to recommit that would have stripped the five largest oil companies of taxpayer subsidies, saving tens of billions of dollars in taxpayer funds. The motion failed on a vote of 176-249, with all Republicans voting against (approximately a dozen Democrats joined the GOP). A similar vote two weeks ago to recoup $53 billion in taxpayer funds from Big Oil was also voted down, largely along party lines. The former CEO of Shell Oil, John Hoffmeister, recently said Big Oil doesn’t need subsidies “in face of sustained high oil prices.” From 2005 to 2009, the largest oil companies have made a combined $485 billion in profits.

Translation, GOP votes to help keep Oil Prices from Rising any Further.

Oh how horrible of them.

Yes, and if gas prices went up which party would be sobbing like little babies they can't afford it? It starts with a "D" and ends with an "emocratic." But I'm not giving more then the hint.

And this, the gas prices, has to do with the tax payer subsidies how?

The overall cost structure of the oil business. If the government changes the tax deal and increases their costs, oil companies will raise prices - just like they do when the barrel price goes up.

got any proof?

the tax burden changed each year with the corporations I have worked for, and those of us determining the competitive retail price of the product NEVER took what the tax rate would be this year or last year in to consideration in to determining the proper retail price for the product.

maybe if you are a monopoly, you can just price things that way....but otherwise, the consumer market is suppose to determine it.

Of course they have no proof. I keep asking for it, but all I get are opinions. Still waiting on that proof. Will it ever come?

The overall cost structure of the oil business. If the government changes the tax deal and increases their costs, oil companies will raise prices - just like they do when the barrel price goes up.

got any proof?

the tax burden changed each year with the corporations I have worked for, and those of us determining the competitive retail price of the product NEVER took what the tax rate would be this year or last year in to consideration in to determining the proper retail price for the product.

maybe if you are a monopoly, you can just price things that way....but otherwise, the consumer market is suppose to determine it.

Of course they have no proof. I keep asking for it, but all I get are opinions. Still waiting on that proof. Will it ever come?

we had a whole set of vp's of finance, accounting, comptroller and ceo that worked on the tax obligation.....but those of us managers creating the product and marketing the product, were the ones who chose the proper retail price for the product....and they purposely kept that, tax obligation information from us....and kept the finance group separated from the merchandise managers and product marketing managers.

Why when the dems had unstoppable majorities in both houses, did they not end oil subsidies?

When did Democrats have "unstoppable" majorities in both houses? Don't forget, you need 60 in the senate to be "unstoppable". 59 won't do it. Not with a certain political party that's 90% white voting in a block. Oops.

Gasoline is now $3.99 per gallon in Oaklantown. With unemployment still well above 12%, let's increase gasoline prices even more by increasing taxes on oil companies! That should hasten the double dip recession and help fulfill Obama's campaign promise that energy prices would skyrocket.

It's not a tax increase. It's the ending of the subsidies being given to them with our money. If you were opposed to the Wall Street bailout then you should be opposed to oil subsidies. This nation is broke and we cannot afford to be giving money away.

The tea party really blew it on this one.

Gasoline is now $3.99 per gallon in Oaklantown. With unemployment still well above 12%, let's increase gasoline prices even more by increasing taxes on oil companies! That should hasten the double dip recession and help fulfill Obama's campaign promise that energy prices would skyrocket.

It's not a tax increase. It's the ending of the subsidies being given to them with our money. If you were opposed to the Wall Street bailout then you should be opposed to oil subsidies. This nation is broke and we cannot afford to be giving money away.

The tea party really blew it on this one

yes they did.

And this, the gas prices, has to do with the tax payer subsidies how?

got any proof?

Exactly!!!!!

They argue that the oil monopoly does not exist one day, and the next they admit there is no free market driving oil prices. Oil prices are dictated by the corporations. :cuckoo:

Why when the dems had unstoppable majorities in both houses, did they not end oil subsidies?

When did Democrats have "unstoppable" majorities in both houses? Don't forget, you need 60 in the senate to be "unstoppable". 59 won't do it. Not with a certain political party that's 90% white voting in a block. Oops.
Someone put down that one-trick pony already...

Being the kind of person that prefers to get this shit over with instead of putting it off for a better day, I can't wait for 5, 6, 7 a gal pricing to push ideas that use less energy, localize food sources and energy production and push innovation in less extractive energy and more farmable energy.

Not to mention marginalizing the ME and getting them out of our hair.

You really think no Dems got or would get any donations from the oil companies? :cuckoo:

You're a fucking retard if you think there's any real difference between the two factions
Exactly!!!

When he was a Senator, Obama voted FOR continuing the oil subsidies!!!!!
As Nader so astutely said, there isn't a dimes worth of difference between the two Parties. Unfortunately there is less than 2% of us who vote either 3rd Party or write in. :(

You really think no Dems got or would get any donations from the oil companies? :cuckoo:

You're a fucking retard if you think there's any real difference between the two factions

Hmmm, let me try to explain this in "your" language:

Listen asswipe, the Republican party is 90% white and mostly Christian, got that fucktard? Democrats are "everyone else". Democrats may be 60% white, but that "white" includes gays, feminists, college professors, scientists, liberals and others not welcome in the Republicans Party. Got that shitstain? If you believe that makes the two parties "alike", retard, then you are more stupid than we thought.

Did I "translate" that correctly? Remember, it was Obama that worked to make BP clean up their mess. But it was the Republicans who apologized.

Its funny. Libya produces less than 2% of the world's oil. So they cut 50%, so 1% of oil daily. But that somehow means gas prices go up 60 cents a gallon, 22.2% price increase.

But leave it to Republicans to defend real theives of our money and blame teachers for everything.

Forum List

Back