House Dems pass middle class tax cuts

more details on the repubs running up the debt

Here are the only OFFICAL budget numbers from the CBO - (United States Congressional Budget Office):

2000 - 236 Billion SURPLUS under Clinton
2001 - 128 Billion SURPLUS under Clinton
2002 - 158 Billion deficit under Bush with republican congress
2003 - 378 Billion deficit under Bush with republican congress
2004 - 413 Billion deficit under Bush with republican congress
2005 - 318 Billion deficit under Bush with republican congress
2006 - 248 Billion deficit under Bush with republican congress
2007 - 161 Billion deficit under Bush with republican congress
2008 - 459 Billion deficit under Bush with Dem congress
2009 - 1.4 Trillion deficit under Obama/Bush - (Bush was pres the first 4 months of this budget which includes his 700 billion in bailouts and the expected 600 billion deficit which was most of the 1.4 trillion)

Source : CBO Historical Budget Data
http://cbo.gov/ftpdocs/108xx/doc10871/historicaltables.pdf

Reagan increased our debt an average of 24% yearly...he tripled it from 934B to 2.6T (189%)
Bush increased our debt an average of 11% yearly...he doubled it from 5.7 to 10.6 trillion (91%)
Obama increased our debt 16% in his first year from 10.6 to 12.3 trillion (to stop a great depression)

(Data from the US Treasury Bureau of Public Debt - Government - Debt to the Penny (Daily History Search Application))

FACTS SHOW THAT REPUBLICANS DO THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT THEY CLAIM...THEY CREATE RECORD DEFICITS AND RECORD DEBTS AND BLAME IT ON DEMOCRATS
1 month ago Report Abuse

Bush left a 1.2 trillion deficit for Obama.

(Source 2: Congressional Budget Office - Annual Budget and Economic Report and testimony before Congress on Jan 8, 2009) (Declares a 1.2 trillion deficit for fiscal year 2009 ---2 weeks before obama takes office)
http://cbo.gov/ftpdocs/99xx/doc9958/01-08-Outlook_Testimony.pdf

blaming Obama doesnt change the facts.

uhm hello, having a surplus don't mean there wasn't a deficit, you know that right? You can have a surplus while still retaining Billions even trillions in debt.

and as far as blame goes, obama increased the deficit and debt. did he not? and please no pejorative he saved us from a depression gig okay?

Well yeah..why bother with the truth.

The conservative fantasy is so much mo' bettah!

why did you bother quoting me if you didn't absorb what I said? I assume...thats assume you read it....?

Poor analogy.

The Government is not Our Boss. It is not paying our salary. It is taking away part of the income we earn.

I'm asking you if you think you are getting a pay cut at year 6.

Go ahead, you can say you do. A lot of people are into the "Me! Me! Me!" approach.

You clearly have never had a real incentive compensation pay arrangement.

Setting aside your offensive comment (and this will be the last time I ever respond to one of your posts which contains such):

Oh come now. I've said much worse to you and you still reply to me.

It would depend upon the terms of the bonus. If it were individual performance based and part of my comp package, and I performed at the same level, then it would feel like a pay cut. If the bonus were purely profit sharing based, and the nonpayment was due to a fall off in business (i.e., recession) then that is the deal and I shouldn't have counted on the bonus in the first place as a guaranteed thing.

Blah, blah, blah. You are trying to rewrite Varth Dader's question instead of plainly answering it.

Try again:

If your boss tells you that you will get a bonus every year for and only for the next 5 years, is he cutting your salary when he choses not to give you one in year 6?

uhm hello, having a surplus don't mean there wasn't a deficit, you know that right? You can have a surplus while still retaining Billions even trillions in debt.

and as far as blame goes, obama increased the deficit and debt. did he not? and please no pejorative he saved us from a depression gig okay?

Well yeah..why bother with the truth.

The conservative fantasy is so much mo' bettah!

why did you bother quoting me if you didn't absorb what I said? I assume...thats assume you read it....?

I did..you answered your own question..and then re-submitted it.

I mean..seriously..what answer are you expecting?

What happened at the end of the Bush administration was a disaster..with no good solutions. You basically had a bad solution..and a worse solution.

The bad solution was chosen.

If i didn't use the coupon, then yes the price of my coffee goes up. there is no coupon in this tax cut issue.
A coupon is a price reduction for a set amount of time, with an expiration date.

The bush tax cuts are a tax price reduction for a set amount of time, with an expiration date.

What part do you need help understanding?

so when they expire taxes go up.. we understand perfectly,
Yes. They go up. Deal with it. A free society isn't free.

Using a wily procedural maneuver to tie Republican hands, House Democrats managed to pass, by a vote of 234-188, legislation that will allow the Bush tax cuts benefiting only the wealthiest Americans to expire.
Democrats were not united on the issue. Twenty voted with Republicans to kill the tax cut bill, as they hold out for extending additional cuts to wealthy Americans -- though 3 Republicans, including Reps. Ron Paul (TX) and Walter Jones (NC) voted for the tax cut extensions. However the outcome will (and was designed to) allow Democrats to draw distinctions between themselves and Republicans during the 2012 election cycle.

House Dems Pass Only Middle Class Tax Cut Bill | TPMDC
Wait a minute...I thought it was irresponsible to lower taxes in this economy. Or is it irresponsible only when the GOP does it...?

When you bozos figure out what you think, let me know, mmmkay?
I agree. They should all expire.
What's keeping you from sending more of your money to the government?

Hint: Nothing.

A coupon is a price reduction for a set amount of time, with an expiration date.

The bush tax cuts are a tax price reduction for a set amount of time, with an expiration date.

Well it damn sure is free to the 50% of you leeching bums who pay NO FEderal Income Tax. It's free to you.

Using a wily procedural maneuver to tie Republican hands, House Democrats managed to pass, by a vote of 234-188, legislation that will allow the Bush tax cuts benefiting only the wealthiest Americans to expire.
Democrats were not united on the issue. Twenty voted with Republicans to kill the tax cut bill, as they hold out for extending additional cuts to wealthy Americans -- though 3 Republicans, including Reps. Ron Paul (TX) and Walter Jones (NC) voted for the tax cut extensions. However the outcome will (and was designed to) allow Democrats to draw distinctions between themselves and Republicans during the 2012 election cycle.

House Dems Pass Only Middle Class Tax Cut Bill | TPMDC

Stupid libtards didn't get enough of a message on election night huh?

It has no chance of getting passed in the Senate! Filbuster anyone? Look they needs to compromise on it and they didn't, now they will feel the wrath! Setting the mark at $1 million, when they keep saying lets raise the tax on millionaires, why then do they toss in people who make $750K under a million?

Even if $1 mil was too high for them, most Americans (including this one) would accept $750K!
The vast majority of Americans agree to extending the cuts for the middle class, so yes, I do believe they got the message.

Just to be very very clear, these tax cuts apply to millionaires and billionaires too. Everybody's first 250,000 gets the tax cut.

Republicans voted against a tax cut for essentially everyone who earns income.

Wait a minute...I thought it was irresponsible to lower taxes in this economy. Or is it irresponsible only when the GOP does it...?

When you bozos figure out what you think, let me know, mmmkay?
I agree. They should all expire.
What's keeping you from sending more of your money to the government?

Hint: Nothing.

What's keeping the landlord for kicking a tenant out for not paying the rent?

Hint: Paying the rent.

If i didn't use the coupon, then yes the price of my coffee goes up. there is no coupon in this tax cut issue.

So when they expire, they are doing what the Republicans designed them to do.

"We have to spend like crazy before we're kicked out!"

more details on the repubs running up the debt

Here are the only OFFICAL budget numbers from the CBO - (United States Congressional Budget Office):

2000 - 236 Billion SURPLUS under Clinton
2001 - 128 Billion SURPLUS under Clinton
2002 - 158 Billion deficit under Bush with republican congress
2003 - 378 Billion deficit under Bush with republican congress
2004 - 413 Billion deficit under Bush with republican congress
2005 - 318 Billion deficit under Bush with republican congress
2006 - 248 Billion deficit under Bush with republican congress
2007 - 161 Billion deficit under Bush with republican congress
2008 - 459 Billion deficit under Bush with Dem congress
2009 - 1.4 Trillion deficit under Obama/Bush - (Bush was pres the first 4 months of this budget which includes his 700 billion in bailouts and the expected 600 billion deficit which was most of the 1.4 trillion)

Source : CBO Historical Budget Data
http://cbo.gov/ftpdocs/108xx/doc10871/historicaltables.pdf

Reagan increased our debt an average of 24% yearly...he tripled it from 934B to 2.6T (189%)
Bush increased our debt an average of 11% yearly...he doubled it from 5.7 to 10.6 trillion (91%)
Obama increased our debt 16% in his first year from 10.6 to 12.3 trillion (to stop a great depression)

(Data from the US Treasury Bureau of Public Debt - Government - Debt to the Penny (Daily History Search Application))

FACTS SHOW THAT REPUBLICANS DO THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT THEY CLAIM...THEY CREATE RECORD DEFICITS AND RECORD DEBTS AND BLAME IT ON DEMOCRATS
1 month ago Report Abuse

Bush left a 1.2 trillion deficit for Obama.

(Source 2: Congressional Budget Office - Annual Budget and Economic Report and testimony before Congress on Jan 8, 2009) (Declares a 1.2 trillion deficit for fiscal year 2009 ---2 weeks before obama takes office)
http://cbo.gov/ftpdocs/99xx/doc9958/01-08-Outlook_Testimony.pdf

blaming Obama doesnt change the facts.
You mean like the fact it was the Democratic-controlled Congress who passed the spending bills (with Senator Obama's vote, unless he voted "present") that left Obama a 1.2 trillion deficit?

So what would you have recommended - specifically - that the Democratic Congress not fund?

Well it damn sure is free to the 50% of you leeching bums who pay NO FEderal Income Tax. It's free to you.
You do know it was the GOP tax cuts to buy votes that created that ~50%, don't you? Before the Bush tax cuts YOU want to make permanent that number was ~ 25%. Obviously you want the Bush tax cuts so you can whine about people not paying their fair share of taxes. :lol:

The saddest part of all this is that at the end of the day, Republicans are playing games with words instead of trying to look at this situation in a realistic fashion. They prefer to keep on repeating great talking points ("no tax increase!", etc.).

Maybe the tax rate for the highest bracket should be 49%. Maybe it should be 37%. Maybe a new rate should be added for people earning more than a million dollar a year. Who cares if it's a tax increase or tax cut. What matters is the budget, the deficit, the impact tax rates have on job creations, etc.

All these options should be on the table. Instead, we get a group of Republicans that show how narrow their vision in term of solution is.

Forum List

Back