Hospital Charges Father For Allowing Skin 2 Skin Contact With His Newborn Baby

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
Yes, apparently our medical industry is just this mercenary.

Utah Father Says He Was Charged For 'Skin To Skin' Contact With Newborn

“The nurse let me hold the baby on my wife's neck/chest,” he wrote on the website. “Even borrowed my camera to take a few pictures for us. Everyone involved in the process was great, and we had a positive experience. We just got a chuckle out of seeing that on the bill.”

Grassley, of Spanish Fork, told PIX11 that he thought it was “funny and a bit ridiculous” and decided to share it on Reddit. He said he even started a GoFundMe to raise $39 to pay for the charge. They had reached the goal by early Wednesday.

The charge was for the nurse that teaches the value of s-t-s contact.
You are splitting hairs to show a distinction that has no significant difference.

I think most parents ALREADY know the value of skin2skin contact with their own babies, thank you.

Whether they know it or not isn't the issue.

You claim that he was charged for touching his baby, I pointed out what the article actually said.

“The nurse let me hold the baby on my wife's neck/chest,” he wrote on the website. “Even borrowed my camera to take a few pictures for us. Everyone involved in the process was great, and we had a positive experience. We just got a chuckle out of seeing that on the bill.”

Grassley, of Spanish Fork, told PIX11 that he thought it was “funny and a bit ridiculous” and decided to share it on Reddit. He said he even started a GoFundMe to raise $39 to pay for the charge. They had reached the goal by early Wednesday.

I'm defiantly in the wrong century now.

I'm defiantly in the wrong century now.
You and me both!

Bring back the 19th century!

I should have known liberals would leap to justify this. They don't think parents are competent to take care of their own children without the professional training of people who are educated in liberal-run universities with all the latest "theories."

I hope the good nurse went throught the trouble of explaining gravity as well, how harmful it would be to let the child go while carrying it and all. They could have missed another $40 opportunity.

What's behind this charge is a total contempt by the people who run the health care system for any notion that we can take care of themselves and their children without constant professional intervention by doctors or nurses who "know better." Any time you go to a doctor, they will prescribe a pill or a treatment to take. In every case, I ask the doctor whether HE would take this pill or treatment, and at least half the time he admits he wouldn't, he just prescribes something because that's what people expect. It never occurs to doctors to just be honest and say, "there is no pill or treatment I can prescribe to make this condition better, it will just go away on it's own."

Thats nothing.....wife had first daughter so fast her DR never made it into the delivery room. Next day he drops by, pats her on the head and says good job.. That cost me $750.

I remember when hospitals welcomed volunteers to hold, touch, feeding, wet nurses, even skin to skin kangaroo moms to help with infants. Grandparents with family out of town or out of state wanting to feel useful used to love it.

When did that stop? A touch, a heart beat, body warmth can be vital in the early days. Even a gloved hand just touching a preemie can be the difference between life and death.

Cost? The joy it brings to others that "volunteer"

I'm old school, baby/kids in the family bed or at least a half cot on the side of the bed.

I remember when hospitals welcomed volunteers to hold, touch, feeding, wet nurses, even skin to skin kangaroo moms to help with infants. Grandparents with family out of town or out of state wanting to feel useful used to love it.

When did that stop? A touch, a heart beat, body warmth can be vital in the early days. Even a gloved hand just touching a preemie can be the difference between life and death.

I'm old school, baby/kids in the family bed or at least a half cot on the side of the bed.
Another unforeseen impact of the ACA?

All the hospitals I know of keep volunteers away from the maternity floor. In fact there is an armed guard on most maternity floors.

Forum List

Back