Hopefully Its Not a Redux of 2021...Power Out in Texas

Another Cruz freeze. I thought they were finally going to make the electric power companies upgrade their system. It's not like they aren't making enough money to make the same upgrades the power companies up north do.

Another Cruz freeze. I thought they were finally going to make the electric power companies upgrade their system. It's not like they aren't making enough money to make the same upgrades the power companies up north do.
Hmmmm..... You mean like charging ludicrous amounts of money for line usage that basically doubles the electric bill? That kind of upgrade? Actually all they really need to do is restart several of the large coal fired plants that they shut down.

Actually Texas insulated their natural gas lines after learning last year that a very heavy usage of natural gas during unusually cold weather will allow the lines to freeze off.
I realize that there are those on the board that are so excited with the idea that Texas might suffer that they have to post. Funny how they do not seem to think that a power outage in another state is news worthy enough to post.

Actually Texas insulated their natural gas lines after learning last year that a very heavy usage of natural gas during unusually cold weather will allow the lines to freeze off.
I realize that there are those on the board that are so excited with the idea that Texas might suffer that they have to post. Funny how they do not seem to think that a power outage in another state is news worthy enough to post.
Expanding natural gas makes an excellent refrigerant. Even on a 120° day you can get ice build up on the elbows and joints of natural gas lines. Westinghouse used to make a natural gas driven refrigerator. It's BTU potential was far greater than anything that came out afterwards that was electric. Some residents of NYC still had the units 60 and 70 years after they were purchased.

It was only when the local city ordinances condemned the use of those particular refrigerators that they were disconnected while still in very good working order.

Jo

Power outages don't happen so easily in other states. Texas is an electric grid unto it's self, and doesn't regulate what the power companies can get away with nearly as strenuously as you will see in the rest of the country.

The entire nation has been reduced to mindless tribalism since Obama...it is his enduring legacy.

JO

No known cause of the power outage yet. Thankfully my peeps in League City were not hit.

Hope this is as bad as it gets.
20,000 is not a very big number for an outage.....
A single problem at a transformer station or one 2500 meg plant going off line can do that....

JO

It was the opposite.

Lack of usage during freezing caused the residual condensation to freeze.

Natural gas comes out hot, so it wouldn't freeze unless a bunch of fucking tree-hugging hippie kuunts made us cut our capacity, WHICH THEY FUCKING DID!!!

We should EXECUTE those motherfuckers.

The coldest it got in the last few days around here was 12 degrees one night. Last February, it dropped to -8 below zero for three days straight. That's a 20 degree difference.

What people from other states may not know is that the heat-pump HVAC system is very popular here, but once it gets colder than freezing, everyone has to switch to the emergency electrical grid heat, which is part of the system. It also requires quite a bit more electricity to operate.

When millions of homes switch to emergency heat at the same time, the power grid cannot keep up.

A short outage for 20K people where power was restored in hours is thread worthy? LOL

They are praying to their god, "Government," that Texas loses power...and that thousands die.........

The coldest it got in the last few days around here was 12 degrees one night. Last February, it dropped to -8 below zero for three days straight. That's a 20 degree difference.

What people from other states may not know is that the heat-pump HVAC system is very popular here, but once it gets colder than freezing, everyone has to switch to the emergency electrical grid heat, which is part of the system. It also requires quite a bit more electricity to operate.

When millions of homes switch to emergency heat at the same time, the power grid cannot keep up.
Are you stating it got to -8 in Texas last year?

Forum List

Back