Honest and open debate on gun control

Bans have been shown to not work. Machineguns are illegal in Mexico yet they are everywhere. Bans only affect the law abiding as has been shown over and over and over.
Banning these weapons will make them prohibitively expensive and therefore out of reach for street thugs and maniacs bent on killing the innocent.
Mexico is far poorer than the US so your "model" fails in every respect.
And gun crime there is exceptionally high, indicating that bans, actual and virtual, do not prevent criminals from getting guns.
The idea therefore fails.
That's what I said, you are responding to the wrong post.
I see you were responding to an anti-gun loon that I have on ignore, so all I saw was your post.
...and here I thought this was supposed to be "an open and honest debate"

The gun lovers have NO SOLUTIONS AT ALL. Any and all solutions proffered are rejected without consideration.

Gun nuts would prefer slaughter to debate. The gun culture and ancillary blood lust knows no bounds.

Reintroduce the draft!

All males either graduating from school and/or 18 years of age are required to spend 6 months in basic training.

Training will include both firearms and psychological evaluations.

Follow up training of 2 weeks every 2nd year for the next 30 years.

Gun sales will be dependent upon producing certificates of course completion.

Anyone failing either firearms or psychological evals will have to apply through the courts for an exemption if they want to obtain a firearm.

In essence this is similar to the Swiss system that works so well.

Only those who are either incompetent with firearms or who are identified as being mentally unstable will have any problem obtaining firearms.

Everyone else will be fully trained in how to use them properly.

Banning these weapons will make them prohibitively expensive and therefore out of reach for street thugs and maniacs bent on killing the innocent.
And gun crime there is exceptionally high, indicating that bans, actual and virtual, do not prevent criminals from getting guns.
I see you were responding to an anti-gun loon that I have on ignore, so all I saw was your post.

The gun lovers have NO SOLUTIONS AT ALL. Any and all solutions proffered are rejected without consideration.

Gun nuts would prefer slaughter to debate. The gun culture and ancillary blood lust knows no bounds.

Honest and open does not include off topic trolling responses such as you made. Your solution is to ban everything. Feel free to show us any place on Earth where a ban has worked. The worst mass murder with a firearm was in Norway where guns are heavily regulated so your argument holds no water.

If you have a legitimate point to make then by all means do so, but to just say "gun bans are good and you are all wrong" when the evidence clearly shows you to be wrong, merely shows that you truly HAVE NO INTEREST in a honest debate.

Reintroduce the draft!

All males either graduating from school and/or 18 years of age are required to spend 6 months in basic training.

Training will include both firearms and psychological evaluations.

Follow up training of 2 weeks every 2nd year for the next 30 years.

Gun sales will be dependent upon producing certificates of course completion.

Anyone failing either firearms or psychological evals will have to apply through the courts for an exemption if they want to obtain a firearm.

In essence this is similar to the Swiss system that works so well.

Only those who are either incompetent with firearms or who are identified as being mentally unstable will have any problem obtaining firearms.

Everyone else will be fully trained in how to use them properly.

There is merit to this. Do those who have done so get to take their fully automatic weapons home with them like the Swiss do?

To me, people will find a way to get their hands on whatever it is that they want if they want it badly enough, so to me, the only thing left to do is to just have harsher sentences be out there for those who don't care about what the laws are.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Honest and open does not include off topic trolling responses such as you made. Your solution is to ban everything. Feel free to show us any place on Earth where a ban has worked. The worst mass murder with a firearm was in Norway where guns are heavily regulated so your argument holds no water.

If you have a legitimate point to make then by all means do so, but to just say "gun bans are good and you are all wrong" when the evidence clearly shows you to be wrong, merely shows that you truly HAVE NO INTEREST in a honest debate.
Please point out my post where I said "ban everything" or lay off the hyperbole and lies.

Please point out my post where I said "ban everything" or lay off the hyperbole and lies.

Define "Well Regulated".

Honest and open does not include off topic trolling responses such as you made.
It also does not include people that can only argue from emotion, ignorance and/or dishonesty.

So far, I have yet to see any suggestion that meets the criteria laid out on the OP.
The criteria of the OP was "an open and honest debate".

you are not open nor honest. You offer no solutions at all.

Define "Well Regulated".
I've already asked that question without response.

Did making drugs illegal make America drug free or did Prohibition keep alcohol out of people's hands (and mouths)? The only thing gun bans do is keep guns from law abiding citizens

Define "Well Regulated".

I know what the Founders defined it as, I want to hear what you think it means.

It also does not include people that can only argue from emotion, ignorance and/or dishonesty.
So far, I have yet to see any suggestion that meets the criteria laid out on the OP.
Mine does.
Only partially, as it is voluntary.
It certainly does not prevent criminals from buying guns from people who won't run a check, or stealing guns or whatever.

Define "Well Regulated".

An organized group under the scrutiny of government. Not a bunch of your beer buddies cruising around in a Dodge Durango.

Mine does.
It certainly does not prevent criminals from buying guns from people who won't run a check, or stealing guns or whatever.

That is true, however MOST gun owners who are selling their guns don't want them to go to a criminal. This won't have an effect on straw man purchases, or outright theft, but it will eliminate one avenue that they currently have. You and I both know that no single system is going to work. Nothing will prevent someone who truly wants a gun to get it. We are merely dealing with the average run of the mill criminal. Those we can intercept.

This is one way to do it that doesn't infringe on anyone rights, and does not generate a national gun registry.

Capisce?

Mine does.
This is one way to do it that doesn't infringe on anyone rights, and does not generate a national gun registry.
Capisce?
Like I said -- I have no issue with people voluntary running background checks on a private sale - I only stated that there is some capacity to do this already.

Define "Well Regulated".

An organized group under the scrutiny of government. Not a bunch of your beer buddies cruising around in a Dodge Durango.

So in other words, ONLY GOVERNMENT AUTHORIZED SOLDIERS. Got it. That's what the 2nd was designed to protect us from. Your argument fails on historical, AND legal grounds.

Try again.

Mine does.
Capisce?
Like I said -- I have no issue with people voluntary running background checks on a private sale - I only stated that there is some capacity to do this already.

No, there isn't. That's the whole point I'm making. Criminals WON'T go to a gun store to do a background check. Here I am giving you a method to do what you say and you're resisting it. Why? Now it's you who are being disingenuous.

Further, I would have no problem with the background check being mandatory, so long as it was free and no gun registration was included.

Mine does.
Capisce?
No, there isn't. That's the whole point I'm making. Criminals WON'T go to a gun store to do a background check
This means you didn't sell the gun to the crimnal, right? Success! :)
Here I am giving you a method to do what you say and you're resisting it. Why?
I did not disagree with your idea.
Further, I would have no problem with the background check being mandatory, so long as it was free and no gun registration was included.
The only way the requirement for universal background checks can be enforced is thru universal registration.
Further, even with universal checks, criminals will still get guns.

Forum List

Back