Homeschooling

Mr.Conley

Jan 20, 2006
New Orleans, LA/Cambridge, MA
So most of the people on this board seem to think that homeschooling is the best way to educate our children. However, I know very little about the subject. So in conjuction with some independent research, I have a few questions.

My question are...

1. On what scale would homeschooling be implimented?

2. How would student's be assured a quality education?
(Note: Please don't retort that publics are bad already, its a given. Plus, moving from one bad situation to another bad one doesn't make a good situation, come up with something constructive.)

3. What would poorer familes where both parents have to work do?

4. Colleges would need some way to ensure they get quality students, but the SAT is already under attack for not fully recognizing a students ability, what could be done?

5. What would we do with the newly unemployed teachers?

6. What would be done with school supported extracurricular activities (eg. sports, band, theatre, etc.)

7. Many experts consider actual lab experiments an essential element of any science curricula. How could this and other specialized areas be covered?

8. What about learning foriegn languages?

9. How would a the curriculum be determined?

10. What could be done to ensure students still have adequate social relations with their peers?

Mr.Conley said:
So most of the people on this board seem to think that homeschooling is the best way to educate our children. However, I know very little about the subject. So in conjuction with some independent research, I have a few questions.

My question are...

One family at a time-have to be committed, disciplined, and willing to work hard. Teaching IS hard.
(Note: Please don't retort that publics are bad already, its a given. Plus, moving from one bad situation to another bad one doesn't make a good situation, come up with something constructive.)
No one in any setting can 'assure' a quality education. However, with homeschooling it's a good idea to get the 'standards' off the state education website for each grade and subject area. Then use the web to help one build a curriculum based repertoire of lesson plans to get started-You and the kid(s) will learn from there.
Very motivated families might 'pool resources' to pay for someone to stay home and 'homeschool' several families children, more than likely this avenue, like so many other options, is not viable for the poor.
4. Colleges would need some way to ensure they get quality students, but the SAT is already under attack for not fully recognizing a students ability, what could be done?
SAT and ACT have already been used as indicators that homeschooled kids are 'as a whole' way ahead of the general population-study done I believe out of Princeton in 2000 of 20k homeschoolers found them on average 4 years ahead of national norms in 8th grade.
That's a dream, there is a tiny fraction of kids homeschooled or ever will be.
6. What would be done with school supported extracurricular activities (eg. sports, band, theatre, etc.)
In most states it's been found that the homeschooled kids are entitled to play in sports, band, etc., with proper fees paid and parents getting the kids to and from.
7. Many experts consider actual lab experiments an essential element of any science curricula. How could this and other specialized areas be covered?
The most important part of lab experiments at high school level is the writing up in scientific method format. You don't need 'lab' to perform experiments that allow for that. At the same time, for those that think their kids would like to have the chemicals and fire, (like most!), there are jr. colleges and universities that offer such opportunities. Here's one:

http://www.shimer.edu/admissions/homeschool.html
Easily done at home, with parent learning or improving in the process. Then again, there are always the jr. college or enrolling the child in a language class privately.
I would suggest starting with state standards or better yet, state standards for the 'gifted' then building from there.
10. What could be done to ensure students still have adequate social relations with their peers?
This is the easiest: Little League, Pop Warner Football, neighborhood/church kids, other homeschoolers for field trips, Girl or Boy Scouts, Children's Theatre, AYSO, too many...

Mr.Conley said:
So most of the people on this board seem to think that homeschooling is the best way to educate our children.
I don't know about MOST of the people. Many conservatives support homeschooling.

My question are...

I don't think most people see it as feasible for nationwide education, or to replace all schools. It should be accepted as an option for some.

performance on national standardized tests, as well as review by a person who has at least a Bachelor's degree are required in this state.

Not homeschool.

Entrance exams.

I don't think anyone is advocating a nationwide replacement of schools with homeschooling. Just that it should be considered a legitimate choice for some families, and accomodated appropriately.

Same as usual, except homeschooled children who live in these districts should have full access to extracurriculars.

Many homeschoolers form groups. If one parent is not so good at English, and another not so good at math, they can trade education. Also, some homeschoolers will hire professionals as a group or go to places that offer hands-on experience. Homeschooling is a very mobile form of education.

See above. Also, many curriculums are for sale. They provide text books, cds, computer programs, etc. Homeschoolers can even take classes on the web.

That is part of the beauty of homeschooling. As stated above, there are many curriculums for sale which include materials. Parents are free to stick strictly to the curriculum or to add or delete material as they see fit.

LOL! You don't know many homeschoolers, do you? The ones I know... I don't know how they keep up with their schedules, between group studies/classes/field trips, involvement in sports/ Boy Scouts/etc., these are some of the busiest kids I know. Another advantage is that they are not stuck in a class with only children of their age. Certainly, they meet many peers in the above mentioned activities, but they age divisions are not so delineated as in a normal school setting.

As far as "adequate social relations"... I do know some parents whose main concern in homeschooling is to keep their angels away from the heathen hordes. I also know of a family who is into "unschooling." These are extreme examples. Most parents desire for their children to be socially well-adjusted.

Hobbit should weigh in on these questions.

Thank you all and one more question.

If you had to choose, would you send your child to a well known, good private school, or would you homeschool?
(Don't factor in finances, just which one is better)

Mr.Conley said:

If you had to choose, would you send your child to a well known, good private school, or would you homeschool?

My personal response is it would depend on the child and the parents desires for the child.

mom4 said:
As far as "adequate social relations"... I do know some parents whose main concern in homeschooling is to keep their angels away from the heathen hordes. I also know of a family who is into "unschooling." These are extreme examples. Most parents desire for their children to be socially well-adjusted.
Unschooling? Please elaborate

Mr.Conley said:
Unschooling? Please elaborate
I hope it's better than I've found:

http://www.unschooling.com/
Unschooling.com

Welcome

Come explore unschooling.com, where parents and children have learned to trust themselves and each other!

"I am beginning to suspect all elaborate and special systems of education. They seem to me to be built upon the supposition that every child is a kind of idiot who must be taught to think. Whereas, if the child is left to himself, he will think more and better, if less showily. Let him go and come freely, let him touch real things and combine his impressions for himself, instead of sitting indoors at a little round table, while a sweet-voiced teacher suggests that he build a stone wall with his wooden blocks, or make a rainbow out of strips of coloured paper, or plant straw trees in bead flower-pots. Such teaching fills the mind with artificial associations that must be got rid of, before the child can develop independent ideas out of actual experience." -- Anne Sullivan

Mr.Conley said:

When I had one kid, I seriously considered homeschooling. With four, I sincerely WISH we could send them to private school. As it is, we send them to public school, and I fulfill my homeschooling desires by supplementing their education.

mom4 said:
When I had one kid, I seriously considered homeschooling. With four, I sincerely WISH we could send them to private school. As it is, we send them to public school, and I fulfill my homeschooling desires by supplementing their education.
If you can afford to stay home and wish to consider, I'd be glad to be a 'resource.'

Kathianne said:
If you can afford to stay home and wish to consider, I'd be glad to be a 'resource.'
Thanks, Kathianne. I do stay home, but four is just too much for me. As frustrating as I find public ed at times, I really don't think I could handle doing four of them myself. I enjoy making up lessons in the summer, and giving them their religious education. I don't think I'm disciplined enough to do it all, though.

Mr.Conley said:
Wow, I didn't think that was legal. I really don't know what to say, I'm just dazed and confused.
From my experience, I've never come in contact with any like the articles I'm reading at that site.

I've met 5 families that are or have homeschooled. In all cases, the kids are well above grade level academically and have strong moral parameters. That doesn't mean the kids don't have problems.

With one family, the oldest of two battles depression in college, as does his father, that wasn't homeschooled. For the 'kid' he entered the university at 17, after working for a year. ACT was 32 when he was 16.

The daughter in the same family, now 16 is having to fight to get some independence. She did a few weeks ago, going to DC during the Pro-Life March with a church group. Still, it's a constant battle with her father to 'let her breathe.'

Of course, they could have the same problems in public or private schools, without the academic background. :dunno:

Kathianne said:
From my experience, I've never come in contact with any like the articles I'm reading at that site.

I've met 5 families that are or have homeschooled. In all cases, the kids are well above grade level academically and have strong moral parameters. That doesn't mean the kids don't have problems.

With one family, the oldest of two battles depression in college, as does his father, that wasn't homeschooled. For the 'kid' he entered the university at 17, after working for a year. ACT was 32 when he was 16.

The daughter in the same family, now 16 is having to fight to get some independence. She did a few weeks ago, going to DC during the Pro-Life March with a church group. Still, it's a constant battle with her father to 'let her breathe.'

Of course, they could have the same problems in public or private schools, without the academic background.

Although this is only based on personal experience, depression seems to run in families, I would imagine he probably would have been depressed at some point in hi life regardless.

The ACT is out of 36 right? I don't know, I only dealt with the SAT. But a 32 out of 36 isn't bad.

I have to say, thats the strangest sounding battle for freedom I've ever heard of. Fighting to go to a pro-life rally. Certainly wouldn't have been a problem in my house.

Mr.Conley said:
Although this is only based on personal experience, depression seems to run in families, I would imagine he probably would have been depressed at some point in hi life regardless.

The ACT is out of 36 right? I don't know, I only dealt with the SAT. But a 32 out of 36 isn't bad.

I have to say, thats the strangest sounding battle for freedom I've ever heard of. Fighting to go to a pro-life rally. Certainly wouldn't have been a problem in my house.

It wasn't the 'cause' but leaving the house without Mom or Dad. I think you are right on the depression, the grandfather committed suicide. I think the son probably was best off homeschooled, for the 'bullying' that would have probably have happened, might have been devestating to him.

Funny thing, when he was 5, my boys were 6 and 3. One day he and his mom came to visit, he put his hands over his ears and said it was 'all too loud'. He most definately would have had problems at an early age in school. Yet, he knows that depression is something to fight, takes his meds and has interned and been offered a 6 figure salary at a major accounting firm after graduation.

He keeps after his sister to leave home for the university. They are both fighting with 'Dad' to make that happen. She is NOT depressed in the least, much more aggressive and it just might be a good idea for her to 'work' a year or two, before hitting the university. Not my decision though. ;)

The one homeschooling friend I have, her younger boy is a very slow learner. I think this was her main motivation for homeschooling. Her brother was slow, and she watched him be tortured in the public schools growing up. She wanted it to be different for her son.

Forum List

Back