Homeless upset over McDonald's dollar menu increase

There is a simple solution to the problem of price increases

Get a job

That is great idea, in theory.
Having worked at a park where many spent most of their time, it doesn't take a genius to figure out, that a good amount of homeless people are mentally ill. Many are also Vietnam Vets who were messed up by the war. We also had many who were elderly and in wheelchairs. But I do love it when people put down homeless people, shows what kind of person they are.

the crew out by this mcdonalds are a lot of 20 something wanna be hippies....

I heard they're combat vets with severe cases of PTSD.

Having worked at a park where many spent most of their time, it doesn't take a genius to figure out, that a good amount of homeless people are mentally ill. Many are also Vietnam Vets who were messed up by the war. We also had many who were elderly and in wheelchairs. But I do love it when people put down homeless people, shows what kind of person they are.

the crew out by this mcdonalds are a lot of 20 something wanna be hippies....

I heard they're combat vets with severe cases of PTSD.

I guess that explains the odd sauce I got with my bigmac this weekend.

It's One McDonalds in Haight Ashbury surrounded by dirty homeless people!

It's not the entire McDonald's Empire.

Having walked the gauntlet of urine soaked homeless people in Berkeley and SF for a years, I don't beatify them the way some people do. Most are hardcore drug addicts and alcoholics. Some are truly mentally ill and belong in institutions, but that is too unPC for California.

Last edited:
Homeless Upset About McDonald's Dollar Menu Increase

CANVAS STAFF REPORTS - Unhappy meals have arrived at a McDonald's in San Francisco.

Homeless people who hang out at the nearby Golden Gate Park used to get 99-cent burgers at the McDonald's located at Haight and Stanyan streets in the Haight-Ashbury neighborhood.

But the eatery got rid of its Dollar Menu about a month ago. That move, which McDonald's called a simple business decision, means items on the menu are now too expensive for the people who spend much of their day hanging out on the sidewalk in front of the restaurant.

Items on the Dollar Menu now cost around $1.50.

Those capitalist Nazis!!! I call for a congressional investigation!!!!

I wouldn't want homeless people hanging out the front of my restaurant either. Good business decision all around.:lol:

McDonalds has the right to do this, but why raise the price to where you customer base can't afford it? But who really knows if the homeless people are the majority of the people buying off the dollar menu.

Over the years, isn't that exactly what our governemnt has done?

McDonalds has the right to do this, but why raise the price to where you customer base can't afford it? But who really knows if the homeless people are the majority of the people buying off the dollar menu.

QFT.

The biggest increase in the median family's budget since the 1950s has been their combined tax bill. This amount has more than doubled to the point where it makes up close to 40% of their spending.

Food, as a percent of the budget, has dropped - from over 21% of the budge to 9%.

If only government were That Efficient.

The Tax Foundation - The Tax Burden of the Median American Family

Wow. Is this thread turning into an argument about whether or not McDonald's is legally or morally obligated to feed, support and/or provide for the downtrodden of our society?

:eusa_eh:

Maybe we need a fast food reform bill. Mandating free fast food for the American public.

:lol:

Maybe if the price of potatoes goes up we can blame the "Big Arches" for the rise in the cost of french fries.

When Congress enacted the minimum wage, some consideration went into what that wage could buy. Over time, that buying power has gone down, and now people have a hard time paying for housing despite working, often more than one job at a time. The National Coalition for the Homeless, the most prominent advocacy organization for homelessness, data suggests that there are places in every state where someone working full-time for minimum wage, or even above it, will not be able to afford decent housing. This homelessness because of lack of affordable housing leads many people into homelessness because they have no other option.
Ads by Google

Read more at Suite101: Primary Reasons for Homelessness: Lack of Housing, Mental Illness Top List Primary Reasons for Homelessness: Lack of Housing, Mental Illness Top List

Images of Vietnam-era veterans who are homeless are fairly common, and homeless advocacy groups often discuss the number of homeless veterans in the United States. What many of these homeless advocacy organizations do not point out enough is that mental illness is behind much of this homelessness. In fact, mental illness is a leading cause of homelessness, regardless of veteran status. People who are mentally ill often have a hard time maintaining a job and cannot afford housing.

Read more at Suite101: Primary Reasons for Homelessness: Lack of Housing, Mental Illness Top List Primary Reasons for Homelessness: Lack of Housing, Mental Illness Top List

The National Coalition for the Homeless reports a poverty rate around 13 percent in the United States. In some states, that rate is as high as 20 percent, making poverty an issue for a significant percentage of the population. These people often have to make a choice about what they can afford, and many times being homeless is preferable to being hungry or ill-clothed. Estimates about children in homelessness suggest that as many as 1.3 million children in the United States are among the ranks of the homeless. These children most often are in situations where the parents present do not make enough money to put the children into stable homes.

People should really learn about the people they talk trash about. I have also read one study, that said 45% of homeless work, and that isn't counting the ones who work under the table.
I also know from experience many spend all day looking for cans to recycle for money.

Mcdonalds_Is_Evil.jpg

Well, Obama has demonized Bankers, Insurance Companies, Pharmaceutical Companies, Auto Company Execs, Big Business...might as well move on to McDs Franchisees.

QFT.

The biggest increase in the median family's budget since the 1950s has been their combined tax bill. This amount has more than doubled to the point where it makes up close to 40% of their spending.

Food, as a percent of the budget, has dropped - from over 21% of the budge to 9%.

When were taxes increased for the middle class?

This is a difficult thread for me. I want to make light of it and joke about homeless people.... but.... I do voluntary work with homeless people... and, in my view 'there but for the grace of God, go any of us'. So, I'm gonna join LuLu on the moral highground.

When Congress enacted the minimum wage, some consideration went into what that wage could buy. Over time, that buying power has gone down, and now people have a hard time paying for housing despite working, often more than one job at a time. The National Coalition for the Homeless, the most prominent advocacy organization for homelessness, data suggests that there are places in every state where someone working full-time for minimum wage, or even above it, will not be able to afford decent housing. This homelessness because of lack of affordable housing leads many people into homelessness because they have no other option.
Ads by Google

Images of Vietnam-era veterans who are homeless are fairly common, and homeless advocacy groups often discuss the number of homeless veterans in the United States. What many of these homeless advocacy organizations do not point out enough is that mental illness is behind much of this homelessness. In fact, mental illness is a leading cause of homelessness, regardless of veteran status. People who are mentally ill often have a hard time maintaining a job and cannot afford housing.

The National Coalition for the Homeless reports a poverty rate around 13 percent in the United States. In some states, that rate is as high as 20 percent, making poverty an issue for a significant percentage of the population. These people often have to make a choice about what they can afford, and many times being homeless is preferable to being hungry or ill-clothed. Estimates about children in homelessness suggest that as many as 1.3 million children in the United States are among the ranks of the homeless. These children most often are in situations where the parents present do not make enough money to put the children into stable homes.

People should really learn about the people they talk trash about. I have also read one study, that said 45% of homeless work, and that isn't counting the ones who work under the table.
I also know from experience many spend all day looking for cans to recycle for money.

I don't need that education. I've seen these people for years. The Bay Area has plenty of services (shelters, food programs, free clinics) for the homeless that want help. The ones that are left on the street choose to be there - or should be institutionalized for not being competent enough to take care of themselves. Maybe it's different in other areas of the country (I know it is) - but the SF Bay Area is incredibly "homeless accommodating", to the extent that small businesses are harmed by the excessive tolerance.

There is a simple solution to the problem of price increases

Get a job

A lot are homeless by choice.

QFT.

When were taxes increased for the middle class?

The base year is 1958. The increases are cumulative at the Federal, State, and Local level, including income, FICA, property and sales taxes. If only it were as simple as saying "one tax". A big driver is unfunded federal mandates forced on the states - with the other one being lack of proper indexing for inflation impacting income taxes (imo), i.e., AMT.

Forum List

Back