Homeless upset over McDonald's dollar menu increase

Jeremy

TRANSFER!!!
Jun 11, 2010
Homeless Upset About McDonald's Dollar Menu Increase

CANVAS STAFF REPORTS - Unhappy meals have arrived at a McDonald's in San Francisco.

Homeless people who hang out at the nearby Golden Gate Park used to get 99-cent burgers at the McDonald's located at Haight and Stanyan streets in the Haight-Ashbury neighborhood.

But the eatery got rid of its Dollar Menu about a month ago. That move, which McDonald's called a simple business decision, means items on the menu are now too expensive for the people who spend much of their day hanging out on the sidewalk in front of the restaurant.

Items on the Dollar Menu now cost around $1.50.

Those capitalist Nazis!!! I call for a congressional investigation!!!!

I think McDonalds should plan their whole corporate strategy around the homeless folks in San Fran.

Listen, it's not just the homeless who rely on these dollar menus. It's a hell of a lot cheaper to order off any dollar menu in any fast-food joint, then to go to the grocery store and purchase fresh fruits and vegetables.

I say time for San Fran to stop the hypocrisy, evict all the corporations that waste space in downtown and turn the highrises into homeless shelters.

McDonalds has the right to do this, but why raise the price to where you customer base can't afford it? But who really knows if the homeless people are the majority of the people buying off the dollar menu.

McDonalds has the right to do this, but why raise the price to where you customer base can't afford it? But who really knows if the homeless people are the majority of the people buying off the dollar menu.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say they aren't.

just saying.

And if you look, there's no name and no 'study'. the post is attributed to 'canvas staff'... which means they sent some poor baby reporter into the partk to ask whatever homeless people are there their 'thoughts' on this subject.

Last edited:
There is a simple solution to the problem of price increases

Get a job

That is great idea, in theory.
Having worked at a park where many spent most of their time, it doesn't take a genius to figure out, that a good amount of homeless people are mentally ill. Many are also Vietnam Vets who were messed up by the war. We also had many who were elderly and in wheelchairs. But I do love it when people put down homeless people, shows what kind of person they are.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say they aren't.

just saying.

Depends on the neighborhood. :D

I have worked for amusement park, that kept raising their prices to make more money, didn't really work. The price is now too much for their customer base, and it is quite obvious.
I am also sure, it costs about 10 cents to make McDonalds cheese burger, so it isn't like they are eating the cost of it every time they sell it for a dollar.
But like I said, they can do whatever they want, I just think it is a stupid move.

Could have just been a way to get them to stop hanging out there. Lots of panhandlers could be driving the real business away. Now, if only they could make a decent burger.

Aren't their hamburgers made out of homeless people?

tuesday.jpg

The McDs at the center of this is in the Haight. SF has an anti loitering ordinance this fall that is going to drive even more of the homeless into restaurants. The franchisee already experiences dollar menu squatting, and is saying "enough". It's her right.

Homeless Upset About McDonald's Dollar Menu Increase

CANVAS STAFF REPORTS - Unhappy meals have arrived at a McDonald's in San Francisco.

Homeless people who hang out at the nearby Golden Gate Park used to get 99-cent burgers at the McDonald's located at Haight and Stanyan streets in the Haight-Ashbury neighborhood.

But the eatery got rid of its Dollar Menu about a month ago. That move, which McDonald's called a simple business decision, means items on the menu are now too expensive for the people who spend much of their day hanging out on the sidewalk in front of the restaurant.

Items on the Dollar Menu now cost around $1.50.

Those capitalist Nazis!!! I call for a congressional investigation!!!!

So what are they going to do, SUE? And people wonder why things cost so much. Someone has to make up for hiring lawyers to defend against crap like this.

So a small burger, small drink, and small fries (which is what I usually order at McD's) is going to cost as much as a quarter pounder, medium drink, and medium fries? Yeah, real smart business move. I'll have to hustle my kids to Wendy's or Burger King when we do road trips.

There is a simple solution to the problem of price increases

Get a job

That is great idea, in theory.
Having worked at a park where many spent most of their time, it doesn't take a genius to figure out, that a good amount of homeless people are mentally ill. Many are also Vietnam Vets who were messed up by the war. We also had many who were elderly and in wheelchairs. But I do love it when people put down homeless people, shows what kind of person they are.

the crew out by this mcdonalds are a lot of 20 something wanna be hippies....

I noticed in the article that this McDonalds still has those items under the heading "dollar menu". Should they be forced to change that deceptive advertising?

Forum List

Back