Homeless Ohioans for Obama registering in droves;

The more the better?

Ok, then how about a DNA sample, fingerprint, drivers license, eye scan, birth certificate, another form of state ID, bill addressed to your permanent address with your name (you know, so the college kids can't vote either), etc, etc.

Whats so hard about figuring out that its not ok to disenfranchise people based on income no matter what the reason is. We have a right to vote in this country. Period.

You're right. We have a right to vote so long as we're over the age of 18, and not a criminal. Now, when you can come up with a foolproof way for that to be done honestly, without cohersion, bribery, tampering, etc. you let me know. Right now, proof of identity is required, and that's fine by me. Now, why would you have a problem with that? Afraid your sides not going to get enough votes if you don't drag homeless people off the street, and pay them?

When I go to vote, tho I've already registered in my area, I STILL need to bring along my drivers license to prove who I am, and where I reside.

Some cities actually have districts and people are required to live in that district. I don't get to vote for a congressman if I dont have an adress in that district.

Seattle is the district. If you widen the scope though, all Western Washington cities have at least one such mail center. Doesn't cost much to run one. It helps in so many ways, but voting registration is one. Also, I have known a lot of homeless in other cities find ways around that address requirement. My point is this, if someone really wants an address there are ways to get one even if you live on the streets.

Some cities actually have districts and people are required to live in that district. I don't get to vote for a congressman if I dont have an adress in that district.

We have districts, and you're required to register with your district.. If there's a district closer to your work, it still doesn't fly. It's based on your home address.. Which is also fine by me.. So I leave for work 45 min earlier, and stop there first.. No biggie.

Seattle is the district. If you widen the scope though, all Western Washington cities have at least one such mail center. Doesn't cost much to run one. It helps in so many ways, but voting registration is one. Also, I have known a lot of homeless in other cities find ways around that address requirement. My point is this, if someone really wants an address there are ways to get one even if you live on the streets.

Austin has several. Where you live determines the races you are allowed to vote in.

Probably because it's just common sense, as I stated previously, you have to have a current address in order to register. The term "homeless" kind of settles that, huh?

Actually, you do not have to have a HOME, and if you have a "location" where you can generally be found, and then a place where you can receive mail, that is all it takes!

They do not have to be the same. They just need to be in the same "local" area. You can live under a bridge, and have a P.O. box if there is no mail delivery under the bridge.

However again, that right is balanced with a responsibility. The responsibility needs to be handed via an address. Though the two aren't linked in reality, they are in essence.

No, its not. The right is given freely without demanding anything in return. It can be taken away only for committing felony crimes (something I also disagree with). Unfortunately it is taken away, in practice, by requiring things of some individuals that they just don't have. In many ways it is similar to the poll taxes of old.

No, its not. The right is given freely without demanding anything in return. It can be taken away only for committing felony crimes (something I also disagree with). Unfortunately it is taken away, in practice, by requiring things of some individuals that they just don't have. In many ways it is similar to the poll taxes of old.

Wrong. It demands that you be at least 18 years of age, and have a legal address.

Actually, you do not have to have a HOME, and if you have a "location" where you can generally be found, and then a place where you can receive mail, that is all it takes!

They do not have to be the same. They just need to be in the same "local" area. You can live under a bridge, and have a P.O. box if there is no mail delivery under the bridge.

Oh, that's what I forgot in mine, speaking of P.O.Boxes, you can get one for free if you are low income from the USPS.

You're right. We have a right to vote so long as we're over the age of 18, and not a criminal. Now, when you can come up with a foolproof way for that to be done honestly, without cohersion, bribery, tampering, etc. you let me know.

There is no foolproof way. Even going to the draconian measures I listed before is not foolproof. Nor would they do anything to stop bribery.

Right now, proof of identity is required, and that's fine by me. Now, why would you have a problem with that? Afraid your sides not going to get enough votes if you don't drag homeless people off the street, and pay them?

Proof of identity is different than having to have an address. Nice strawman there. And yes thats what I'm looking to do, encourage voter fraud :cuckoo:. No, actually I dislike the fact that the government doesn't allow people to vote based on property rights/income. I don't like the fact that someone here (Gunny) said that was acceptable and the way it should be. No, this isn't about voter fraud its about not disenfranchising the poor.

I don't think their being homeless is the problem entirely. It is register and vote immediately that is the problem without verification. But then that is Dems for you. If they were picking up Republicans and driving them to vote for mcCain.. oh the outrage... hypocrites.

:clap2:

There is no foolproof way. Even going to the draconian measures I listed before is not foolproof. Nor would they do anything to stop bribery.

Proof of identity is different than having to have an address. Nice strawman there. And yes thats what I'm looking to do, encourage voter fraud :cuckoo:. No, actually I dislike the fact that the government doesn't allow people to vote based on property rights/income. I don't like the fact that someone here (Gunny) said that was acceptable and the way it should be. No, this isn't about voter fraud its about not disenfranchising the poor.

Real proof of identity is not really different than having an address. Any schmuck can get a fake ID saying he's anyone he wants. It takes a little more work to combine that fake ID with mortgage papers, or a rental agreement.

Gunny's right. You're wrong. End of story. Next?

Kit

This is really a good observation....

Many of the extremists just follow in lockstep with any rumor or slogan because it is like a flag waving rallying cry, attention whoring way to show where they stand.. it don't need to be a truth for them to feel better about their whack-job extremist stance

DIEBOLD, election stealing, dimpled chad, war for oil, Haliburton, etc ... great shouting material that fit right into the the hippie extremist mold of shouting anything for the sake of shouting, no matter how ignorant they are to the truth

And lord knows we see it from the extremist right on here too... KMAN being a prime example with many of the threads he starts

Hey, I just want the government to get out of our way and go back to enforcing the constitution... If that means I am a right wing partisan hack then that's what I am... I would think everyone would want this but I guess I am wrong.

Whoa there boss---the Democrats don't even think voters should have a valid voter ID.

If I register to vote and say I live at a homeless shelter, then vote... Then move to a YMCA... Can I register to vote at that new address? What's the law on that?

If I register to vote and say I live at a homeless shelter, then vote... Then move to a YMCA... Can I register to vote at that new address? What's the law on that?

Don't forget to change your name and pick up your new ID on your way...

Hey, I just want the government to get out of our way and go back to enforcing the constitution... If that means I am a right wing partisan hack then that's what I am... I would think everyone would want this but I guess I am wrong.

Actually, that would really make you a moderate. Look how the republicans and right wing 'hacks' as you call them are voting and what they are pushing for. The problem with politicians is that what they claim and what they do are two different things. The problem with anyone who follows them is that they only listen to what they claim.

Real proof of identity is not really different than having an address. Any schmuck can get a fake ID saying he's anyone he wants. It takes a little more work to combine that fake ID with mortgage papers, or a rental agreement.

Also, every state I have had an ID in requires a mailing address for their ID, and now I think they all actually mail the ID to that address because they have to have it made elsewhere now.

Real proof of identity is not really different than having an address.

Umm, yes it is. Well, that is if the state makes an effort to allow people to get that proof of ID free of charge. Unless the state makes an effort to allow people to have some address free of charge, then its not ok.

Any schmuck can get a fake ID saying he's anyone he wants. It takes a little more work to combine that fake ID with mortgage papers, or a rental agreement.

Ah, well "a little more work". I mean why stop there? Why not just make us all have a DNA test?

You agree with Gunny? Shocking I tell you, shocking.

Don't forget to change your name and pick up your new ID on your way...

It's puzzling to me why people would want to deny citizens their right to vote based on some vague fear that masses of homeless people will be moving about the country on election days, voting hundreds and thousands of times over and over and thus changing the course of history.

Forum List

Back