Home School Parent take Her Kids to Woke Library

Thanks for that, but studies show that home schooled students outperform public school kids in every category including socially.
In my observation, some homeschool kids who come into public schools are a little behind their peers. I teach Junior High which is when students move from basic reading to more advanced comprehension and composition, from arithmatic to algebra, and from cool experiments to understanding formulas.

But, they quickly catch up. I've seen absolutely no deficit in homeschool kids. Most have been in sports, or scouting, or kids clubs, etc. Biggest difference I see is that they also know how to talk to adults properly.

However, on average homeschool kids are far ahead of public schools. I teach at a high quality public schools. But in the majority of public schools are not nearly so high quality. In public schools Junior High kids are still struggling with basic reading, and often never catch up. Homeschool parents do not allow their kids to fall through the cracks because they're only dealing with their own.

Junior high is the age when many homeschool parents decide their kids should go to public schools. That is good timing, they can now participate in official school sports, they can learn the advanced topics their parents may not be equipped to teach them, and do all the things like student government dance committee, etc. Also, by that point, their kids have a solid foundation and will not fall prey to absurdly inappropriate books in their library.

Are there any homeschool kids who know nothing and whose parents just kept them home because they got tired of their kid getting in trouble in public schools? Yes of course there's good and bad and everything. But overall if I had to do it all over again, I would homeschool my kids until about 6th grade.
I agree with most of this.
I've had some very good, well mannered, smart, looking to please, Home school students. I'm guessing these parents are deeply involved and also pretty smart.
I love these students.

I also have had some Home School students that come in woefully behind, because their parents typically used the student as a babysitter. This is sad, but it's true for a smaller % of hs students.

I'm sure you are another could find data that varies depending on the agenda.
I've worked with these students, it varies.
It without VARIES from family to family.
It's simply NOT true that home school students are far better or worse than their peers.

Public School has some pretty worthless parents and students.
Public School also has some fantastic parents and students.
In my observation of 39 years, homeschoolers usually fit nicely in the middle.
I agree with most of that also.

I'm not sure I would call parents keeping their kids home to babysit "homeschooling," even if they put that on their withdrawal form.

I know a district that pressures parents to say their kids will be homeschooled when they come in to drop out. I wouldn't count those as home schooling, either.

Screenshot 2023-10-29 at 5.15.54 PM.png

You are comparing the few that you see.

A small sample size.
As I mentioned, Home School Students that return to public school are Never the worst student and NEVER the best student.
This is my experience.
In Math. I teach Math.
The "Math Gap" is discussed above.

My Sample Size is real life 100+ students.
Your sample size is ZERO.
But you do have the Internet, So do I.

They out perform public school kids on every possible level.
I'll end with this.

As mentioned, home school student usually come in well prepared.
They out perform public school kids on every possible level.

Public school has many exceptional students.
On Average, as you stated in the links you provided, Home School Students score Higher on Standardized Testing, but that doesn't mean they score the HIGHEST, so in conclusion, Home School Students
outperform MANY public school students, but certainly NOT all, or on EVERY POSSIBLE LEVEL.

I'll give you this Sports Analogy.
A Home School Player most likely can join the Varsity Basketball Team, but they are NOT the top Player or top Players on the team.

Public School is Loaded with many JV players, and even more that don't attend and would never make ANY team. I feel bad for them. Public School is also has many exceptional players that are All-State.

My Sample Size is real life 100+ students.
Your sample size is ZERO.
But you do have the Internet, So do I.

LOL

I have 5 children who at one time or another home schooled.

My youngest daughter homeschooled all of her high school years, 4 years.

She graduated with honors and was especially gifted in math, so much so that she received 2 years of state paid college. She has chosen to pursue further education in Radiology at a local Tech school and is at the top of her class there as well.

I am not knocking teachers in any way, we need good teachers and should pay you guys much more than current pay.

But the facts are that public schools are failing overall for a whole host of reasons.

Anytime you need full time police officers at school it is very good evidence that all is not well. Our gov't. has failed us at the things that should be at the top of their list.

Protecting its citizens.
Education

LOL

I have 5 children who at one time or another home schooled.

My youngest daughter homeschooled all of her high school years, 4 years.

She graduated with honors and was especially gifted in math, so much so that she received 2 years of state paid college. She has chosen to pursue further education in Radiology at a local Tech school and is at the top of her class there as well.

I am not knocking teachers in any way, we need good teachers and should pay you guys much more than current pay.

But the facts are that public schools are failing overall for a whole host of reasons.

Anytime you need full time police officers at school it is very good evidence that all is not well. Our gov't. has failed us at the things that should be at the top of their list.

Protecting its citizens.
Education
Fair Enough.
Congrats on the Family Success in Schooling.

JK Rowling went Wydean School and College, and then Exeter University. She was not home schooled.
Yes, she attended those but I saw her in an interview where she claimed to be more home schooled because of being bullied.

Home school children generally achieve better results.

Forum List

Back