Hollywood NOt HOt For Hillary??

jillian said:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, whether we agree with those opinions or not. But the same people who take issue with Martin Sheen speaking his mind, have no problem with the fact that Arnold Schwarzenegger is governor of California and Bruce Willis and countless other conservative celebrities talk about their views without the slightest of objections.

Just food for thought. ;)

Arnold was voted in by the people of California as their Governor. He earned the right to speak about politics. It is his job. Martin Sheen and Sharon Stone are entertainers, so there is a real difference. I don't listen to any of them, though. There are plenty of intelligent people who have made politics their life's work, who I can listen to if I am looking for someone else's opinion.
But I will repeat what I said to the Dr.: If you want to listen to them, go ahead. It only helps the Republican party.

Psst. A word of caution: When they say they are going to leave the country if a certain Republican is elected, the don't really mean it.

Abbey Normal...Arnold was voted in by the people of California as their Governor. He earned the right to speak about politics. It is his job. Martin Sheen and Sharon Stone are entertainers, so there is a real difference.

Yes indeed!!

Bonnie said:
C'mon Dr lets not play coy or naive here..We all know they say everything political to the press in hopes it will be consumed by the masses and somehow swing political opinion their way.

And who, in the public eye, doesn't do that when addressing politics?

Abbey Normal said:
Arnold was voted in by the people of California as their Governor. He earned the right to speak about politics. It is his job. Martin Sheen and Sharon Stone are entertainers, so there is a real difference. I don't listen to any of them, though. There are plenty of intelligent people who have made politics their life's work, who I can listen to if I am looking for someone else's opinion.
But I will repeat what I said to the Dr.: If you want to listen to them, go ahead. It only helps the Republican party.

Psst. A word of caution: When they say they are going to leave the country if a certain Republican is elected, the don't really mean it.

Dunno how it helps the Republican party. Some have interesting things to say, others don't. I do not know of any person in my circle of friends who is influenced by entertainers...actually I don't know anybody, period...I'd say what annoys right-leaning people/conservatives is that the celebs words are published/broadcast, not that the celebs might influence others to vote for Dem candidates. As for those who say they are going to leave if a Republican is elected, who cares?

Dr Grump said:
As for those who say they are going to leave if a Republican is elected, who cares?

Yeah, what the hell - it's not like they ever really GO or anything...

fuzzykitten99 said:
because they get paid to pretend to be something they're not on a regular basis...most celebs don't have any real life experience working in the real world, living paycheck to paycheck, raising their own kids as opposed to hiring a nanny, etc. How can they expect the average person to listen to them when they have no first hand experience?

Great insight, Fuzzy. I would send some rep your way if I could, but you know the board rules about spreading it around....

Personally, I don't pay too much attention to what these people have to say about politics, but I do resent it when their political pontifications are magnified way out of proportion to factual content. :( And let's face it: the imbeciles/just plain ignorant are influenced by what they have to say.

(Note to powers-that-be on this board: We need a new smilie that signifies disgusted.)

Dr Grump said:
Dunno how it helps the Republican party. Some have interesting things to say, others don't. I do not know of any person in my circle of friends who is influenced by entertainers...actually I don't know anybody, period...I'd say what annoys right-leaning people/conservatives is that the celebs words are published/broadcast, not that the celebs might influence others to vote for Dem candidates. As for those who say they are going to leave if a Republican is elected, who cares?

It does not annoy me that they speak, or that their silly words are broadcast. I expect no better from the MSM. But as I have twice stated, I believe it is good for the Republican party. It's a simple concept- a party being tarnished by the people who try to speak for it.

Regarding the celebs who swear they will leave the country, and then do not: Whenever someone makes public promises and then does not live up to their word, I "care" to the extent that I know they are liars and/or fools, discount everything they have to say, and would hope that others would see the obvious. I would expect any intelligent person to draw a similar conclusion.

Btw, isn't it exhausting trying to defend the mouthpieces of the Dem party? If I had to constantly defend the likes of Al Sharpton, Ted Kennedy, Hillary Clinton, Barbra Streisand, Cynthia McKinney, Ray Nagin, Kathleen Blanco, etc., etc., I'd probably be driven to drink. Or to switch parties in disgust. ;) How do you do it?

Abbey Normal said:
Btw, isn't it exhausting trying to defend the mouthpieces of the Dem party? If I had to constantly defend the likes of Al Sharpton, Ted Kennedy, Hillary Clinton, Barbra Streisand, Cynthia McKinney, Ray Nagin, Kathleen Blanco, etc., etc., I'd probably be driven to drink. Or to switch parties in disgust. ;) How do you do it?

How do I do it? That's simple. I don't. There are reasonable people on both sides of the aisle IMO. George Bush and his close associates are not reasonable on the Repub side and Cynthia McKinney and Al Sharpton are not on the Dem side. Send 'em all to Siberia for a year or two! :poke:

Dr Grump said:
And who, in the public eye, doesn't do that when addressing politics?

There are some actors and celebrities that have enough self awareness to know no one really cares what they think and that the universe does not in fact revolve around their pretentious lives. They have the good sense to keep it to themselves and talk about what they do best and what they know about... entertain.

Dr Grump said:
How do I do it? That's simple. I don't. There are reasonable people on both sides of the aisle IMO. George Bush and his close associates are not reasonable on the Repub side and Cynthia McKinney and Al Sharpton are not on the Dem side. Send 'em all to Siberia for a year or two! :poke:

you render here. Comparing George Bush and his White House to Cynthia Mckinney (An unabashed idiot) and Al Sharpton (A lying hatemonger) is ridiculous. Normal logic for a Dem.... (stupidity)

Bonnie said:
There are some actors and celebrities that have enough self awareness to know no one really cares what they think and that the universe does not in fact revolve around their pretentious lives. They have the good sense to keep it to themselves and talk about what they do best and what they know about... entertain.

Yet the US is a country that encourages free speech, no? As I said, what gets under the conservatives skin is that the entertainers' thoughts are published.

ThomasPaine said:
you render here. Comparing George Bush and his White House to Cynthia Mckinney (An unabashed idiot) and Al Sharpton (A lying hatemonger) is ridiculous. Normal logic for a Dem.... (stupidity)

All three are idiots IMO..and who said I was looking for your respect? I know nothing about you... :thup:

Dr Grump said:
Yet the US is a country that encourages free speech, no? As I said, what gets under the conservatives skin is that the entertainers' thoughts are published.

Free speech yes

As well it should, just means the rest of us are actually thinking ;) and along with that free speech comes responsibility and freedom for the rest of us to point out their stupidity when applicable yes???

Dr Grump said:
All three are idiots IMO..and who said I was looking for your respect? I know nothing about you... :thup:

Obviously you are looking to make a fool of yourself. Mission accomplished. Yep you know nothing of me save this, I don't suffer foolish liberals like yourself.
Now have a nice day....

Dr Grump said:

no.....what is anoying is that people listen to entertainer's opinions as if they were the opinions of educated politicians, statesmen and philosophers when the fact is they are nothing more than a waiter with a pretty face

Dr Grump said:

Honestly, its less that they get reported and more the fact that they are complete idiots and the media treats them like they know something special because they are famous.

manu1959 said:
no.....what is anoying is that people listen to entertainer's opinions as if they were the opinions of educated politicians, statesmen and philosophers when the fact is they are nothing more than a waiter with a pretty face

Seriously come on.... what education politician do we have?;)

Seriously come on.... what education politician do we have?;)

oddly enough ones like jodie foster and others that actually went to a university know they are only actors and don't wade in

Forum List

Back