Hollywood NOt HOt For Hillary??

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
Depending on whom you talk to in Hollywood these days, Hillary Clinton is either too conservative, too polarizing, too famous, too stiff or — keep this to yourself! — too sexy.

And those are just the opinions of the celebrities who vote Democrat. (Don't even ask what the few Republicans had to say.)

ADVERTISEMENT
Once the darling of the industry's liberal set, Clinton has come under attack from some as she starts to line up support for what many feel will be a run for the presidential nomination. But that's not unusual for Hollywood — it's almost like a rite of passage, says veteran Democratic strategist Bill Carrick: You haven't really made it as a politician here until the stars line up to kick your tires.

Plus, "The Democrats want to win so badly, and Hillary is such an important leader, they're going to scrutinize everything she does," Carrick said.

The chatter started quietly last year, when the Hollywood political crowd began speculating that Clinton could be a 2008 contender. Of course her people denied it, saying she's concentrating on her Senate reelection campaign in New York this year. (But it didn't help that she was coming to town a lot, collecting tens of thousands of dollars in campaign contributions — money that could be used in the presidential election.)

For months, few were willing to say anything negative on the record, for fear of offending Clinton and her husband, Bill, who became Hollywood's favorite during his political career. When Hillary Clinton decided to run for the Senate in 2000, she was greeted with tremendous support from the entertainment industry's power brokers.

But Hollywood is a fickle place; behind-the-scenes feuding and gossiping are just part of the game. In December, the Sunday Times of London quoted George Clooney as saying that he was "frustrated and disappointed" that the Democratic leaders — including Clinton — had "backed themselves into a corner" over the Iraq war. According to the paper, Clooney reportedly called Clinton "the most polarizing figure in American politics."

The piece ran with the headline: "Clooney's ambush hits Hillary's campaign." Clooney and his publicist said the comments were taken out of context. But that's like unringing a bell.

Suddenly the Hillary issue became the question du jour in celebrity interviews:

How's your movie?

What are you wearing to the Oscars?

What about Hillary Clinton?

Kathleen Turner, starring in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" in London's West End, was asked by a British reporter if she thought Clinton could win in 2008.

"I have my doubts about that," Turner told Rosie Millard of the New Statesman. "We don't want a celebrity woman president. We want someone who is really proven, someone with a really good foundation at that level, not just a star."

Millard told the diva: "But Hillary is a bit more than a celebrity."

"Yes," Turner said, backtracking. "She might be uniquely qualified having been first lady for eight years. I may have to rethink my position."

Said Millard: "Well, that's a relief."

Next, Sharon Stone.

In a Q&A for the March/April issue of Hollywood Life, writer Lawrence Grobel was asking the actress such questions as, does she carry condoms with her? (She said yes and went into a long explanation about safe sex.) Then Grobel moved onto politics.

"Do you still think our president is an idiot?" he asked. Stone responded: "We can only hope that those people who hired a president they thought might be fun to go have a drink with will start to notice that the president of the U.S. is a business position — the CEO of a nation."

more
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-hillary4apr04,1,6080256.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

of the American people already know. Most actors/actresses are complete imbeciles. Why in the hell these people think anyone is concerned with their political positions is beyond me. Sure I like to look at Angelina Jolie but I wouldn't take advice from her on how to cross the street.

BATMAN said:
I don't know who is sillier - the actors giving their opinion on political issues, or those who take it seriously.

What tops it for me is the notion that some think Hillary is too conservative :duh3:

Dr Grump said:
Actors are entitled to their opinions too. If they are reported, not their fault..
I don't think anyone is saying they're not entitled to their opinion, just that the press and some in the public hold them up as some kind of expert simply because of their Hollywood "status," when they're far from it.

Dr Grump said:
Some might be experts. Some may not. I don't know the education history of most Hollywood celebs...

most of them are idiots. Ever heard brad pitt speak? Despite his abs, he's mentally sub par, or goes on interviews high.

Dr Grump said:
Some might be experts. Some may not. I don't know the education history of most Hollywood celebs...
If some were experts, something tells me they'd be doing something other than acting - or have "P.H.D." at the end of their name.

rtwngAvngr

most of them are idiots. Ever heard brad pitt speak? Despite his abs, he's mentally sub par, or goes on interviews high.

Wouldn't know. Don't know any celebs personally. :wine:

BATMAN

If some were experts, something tells me they'd be doing something other than acting - or have "P.H.D." at the end of their name.

hmmmm...not necessarily. I think Natalie Portman and Jody Foster are Harvard grads. ;)

Dr Grump said:
rtwngAvngr

Wouldn't know. Don't know any celebs personally. :wine:

BATMAN

hmmmm...not necessarily. I think Natalie Portman and Jody Foster are Harvard grads. ;)

Exceptions that prove the rule. However, if you think the opinions of self-indulgent and sheltered actors are worth listening to, that's your prerogative. Personally, I like the fact that whenever they open their mouths (or tape them shut, a la Martin Sheen), they make the Dem party look even more inconsequential than it already does.

Dr Grump said:
because they get paid to pretend to be something they're not on a regular basis...most celebs don't have any real life experience working in the real world, living paycheck to paycheck, raising their own kids as opposed to hiring a nanny, etc. How can they expect the average person to listen to them when they have no first hand experience?

Abbey Normal said:
Exceptions that prove the rule. However, if you think the opinions of self-indulgent and sheltered actors are worth listening to, that's your prerogative. Personally, I like the fact that whenever they open their mouths (or tape them shut, a la Martin Sheen), they make the Dem party look even more inconsequential than it already does.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, whether we agree with those opinions or not. But the same people who take issue with Martin Sheen speaking his mind, have no problem with the fact that Arnold Schwarzenegger is governor of California and Bruce Willis and countless other conservative celebrities talk about their views without the slightest of objections.

Just food for thought. ;)

jillian said:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, whether we agree with those opinions or not. But the same people who take issue with Martin Sheen speaking his mind, have no problem with the fact that Arnold Schwarzenegger is governor of California and Bruce Willis and countless other conservative celebrities talk about their views without the slightest of objections.

Just food for thought. ;)

I don't mind celebrities speaking out. Their perogative. Don't have to listen to 'em...

Dr Grump said:
Actors are entitled to their opinions too. If they are reported, not their fault..

C'mon Dr lets not play coy or naive here..We all know they say everything political to the press in hopes it will be consumed by the masses and somehow swing political opinion their way.

Bonnie said:
C'mon Dr lets not play coy or naive here..We all know they say everything political to the press in hopes it will be consumed by the masses and somehow swing political opinion their way.

Especially when there's a microphone in their face. :laugh:

I could understand if their phones were tapped. Totally NOT their fault.

Forum List

Back