Hollande asked Netanyahu not to attend Paris memorial march

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013
The U.S.
This was an interesting drama.

sdd.jpg

---

French President Francois Hollande conveyed a message to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu over the weekend asking him not to come to Paris to take part in the march against terror on Sunday, according to an Israeli source who was involved in the contacts between the Elysees Palace and the Prime Minister’s Office in Jerusalem. The fact that this message had been conveyed was first reported by Channel 2.

After the French government began to send invitations to world leaders to participate in the rally against terror, Hollande’s national security adviser, Jacques Audibert, contacted his Israeli counterpart, Yossi Cohen, and said that Hollande would prefer that Netanyahu not attend, the source said.

Audibert explained that Hollande wanted the event to focus on demonstrating solidarity with France, and to avoid anything liable to divert attention to other controversial issues, like Jewish-Muslim relations or the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Audibert said that Hollande hoped that Netanyahu would understand the difficulties his arrival might pose and would announce that he would not be attending.

The source noted that one of the French concerns - not conveyed to representatives of the Israeli government - was that Netanyahu would take advantage of the event for campaign purposes and make speeches, especially about the Jews of France. Such statements, the Elysee Palace feared, would hurt the demonstration of solidarity the French government was trying to promote as part of dealing with the terror attacks.

According to the source, Netanyahu at first acquiesced to the French request. In any case, the Shin Bet security service unit that protects public figures considered the arrangements for the prime minister’s security to be complex. And so, on Saturday evening, Netanyahu’s people announced that he would not be flying to Paris because of security concerns. Netanyahu told the French he would come to France on Tuesday for a Jewish community event.

Hollande asked Netanyahu not to attend Paris memorial march - Diplomacy and Defense Israel News Haaretz

I'm glad that Bibi showed up , also happy that mrobama didn't show up !!

Well, that was not very nice of Pres. Hollande, especially considering that four jews were murdered by savage islamic beasts and he, Pres. Hollande, invited Abbas. To invite one but exclude the other, under these circumstances, would be just plain old stupid. Bibi did the right thing by appearing.

Last edited:
oh geez , yep , that's the excuse Coyote , maybe ' ketchup' Kerry or 'biden' . Personally I'm glad that none showed up other than 'holder'.

I think security for Mr. Obama would have been very difficult as well.

This is exactly why Pres. Obama did not attend, because of Secret Security protocols. Not enough time to prepare, not enough SS boots to get onto the ground, too many people in a moving crowd, too many variables. The security requirements for the visit of a US president are the most strict requirements for any leader in the world. Plus, with the area on high terror alert, that is EXACTLY where they would definitely not fly him. And his presence, meaning, the presence of any US president, could have actually heightened the danger, and he is likely the most coveted target of all for terrorists.

Well, that was not very nice of Pres. Hollande, especially considering that four jews were murdered by savage islamic beasts and he, Pres. Hollande, invited Abbas. To invite one but exclude the other, under these circumstances, would be just plain old stupid. Bibi did the right thing by appearing.

According to the article:
Absence sought as part of attempt to keep Israeli-Palestinian conflict out of European show of unity; After Netanyahu insisted on coming, French made it clear Abbas would be invited as well.

You have a direct line in?
I think security for Mr. Obama would have been very difficult as well.

This is exactly why Pres. Obama did not attend, because of Secret Security protocols. Not enough time to prepare, not enough SS boots to get onto the ground, too many people in a moving crowd, too many variables. The security requirements for the visit of a US president are the most strict requirements for any leader in the world. Plus, with the area on high terror alert, that is EXACTLY where they would definitely not fly him. And his presence, meaning, the presence of any US president, could have actually heightened the danger, and he is likely the most coveted target of all for terrorists.

Absence sought as part of attempt to keep Israeli-Palestinian conflict out of European show of unity; After Netanyahu insisted on coming, French made it clear Abbas would be invited as well.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think asking Netanyahu to not attend the March was a bit harsh towards Jewish people. You have to realize that Netanyahu represents Jewish folks whether he himself is likable or not.

I think asking Netanyahu to not attend the March was a bit harsh towards Jewish people. You have to realize that Netanyahu represents Jewish folks whether he himself is likable or not.

Yepp. And especially after a brutal antisemitic attack like Friday, you would think that Hollande would have thought this out better.

It sounds like an impressive turn out - unbelievable with 40 world leaders from around the world and

Yes, sort of - he represents Israel. Saying he represents Jewish people is like saying France can not represent french Jews. It's kind of sticky in my opinion. Also, I understand not wanting someone there (both Abbas and Netanyahu) who might bring other issues into it and fracture what should be an attempt at unity against terrorism. I'm not saying it's right or wrong - but I understand the reasoning.

It sounds like an impressive turn out - unbelievable with 40 world leaders from around the world and

Yes, sort of - he represents Israel. Saying he represents Jewish people is like saying France can not represent french Jews. It's kind of sticky in my opinion. Also, I understand not wanting someone there (both Abbas and Netanyahu) who might bring other issues into it and fracture what should be an attempt at unity against terrorism. I'm not saying it's right or wrong - but I understand the reasoning.

so why is it appropriate for abu mazen to be there? whom does he represent? muslims from Algeria?

Actually, that argument would find a LOT of resonance with me were it not for islamic terrorism, esp. directly aimed not just once, but twice at Jews on Thursday and Friday. Remember, the reason why Koulibali shot up the cops in Montrouge is because they kept him from getting into a Jewish elementary school.

On the other hands (I have five, women love it), I know French Jews who state very adamantly that they are Frenchmen (and women) first, Jews second, so part of your argument does indeed sound at least plausible to me.

Forum List

Back