Historical Question - Has anyone ever tried to add a right to healthcare as a constitutional amend.?

By requiring people purchase insurance, if they are able.

That isn't General Welfare.

End of conversation.
requiring some form of health insurance is not welfare?

It is not "required". If you don't get it, you pay a fine. You still don't have it.

And if the Federal Government considered that to be part of their perview, they would simply provide it.

Did you mean "purview"?

Guess that doesn't directly answer the question, but in the German Constitution, Grundgesetz Article 20 Abs. 1 it says "Germany is a social, federal state".

That means social systems that are supposed to support those in need are required by our constitution. It's open for the political process, however, to determine how extensive or small they are supposed to be.

End of conversation.

It is not "required". If you don't get it, you pay a fine. You still don't have it.

And if the Federal Government considered that to be part of their perview, they would simply provide it.
They do simply provide for some. Means testing is one method of delivery.

Solving simple poverty means Persons should be able to afford some basic healthcare insurance; then, mandating it would make more sense and even fines for non-compliance. We allege to subscribe to Capitalism and a market based economy.

Guess that doesn't directly answer the question, but in the German Constitution, Grundgesetz Article 20 Abs. 1 it says "Germany is a social, federal state".

That means social systems that are supposed to support those in need are required by our constitution. It's open for the political process, however, to determine how extensive or small they are supposed to be.
This is what we are supposed to be doing with our form of Government:

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Only the right wing believes bigotry and black codes were ever an authorized, social power.

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Only the right wing believes bigotry and black codes were ever an authorized, social power.

Of course I don't want to speak for Americans, but I'm in favor of social safety nets.

Guess it's all about the right balance... they shouldn't be so big they take away incentives to work and don't damage the economy too much, but big enough to allow at least most of those who really are in need to have a dignified life.

But I'm old-fashioned. I believe there is such a thing as a "common good".

Of course I don't want to speak for Americans, but I'm in favor of social safety nets.

Guess it's all about the right balance... they shouldn't be so big they take away incentives to work and don't damage the economy too much, but big enough to allow at least most of those who really are in need to have a dignified life.

But I'm old-fashioned. I believe there is such a thing as a "common good".
Some on the left are advocating for actually solving simple poverty via equal protection of our at-will employment laws in our at-will employment States for unemployment compensation. Actually solving for capitalism's natural rate of unemployment in a market friendly manner promotes the general welfare and general prosperity through a positive multiplier and helps automatically stabilize our economy in the process.

End of conversation.

Did you mean "purview"?

My apologies.

Forum List

Back