Hillary Clinton Calls Education A ‘Non-Family Enterprise,’ Praises Common Core

I don't like Common core as I think we can do a whole lot better but she does have a point. Education is something society should handle as everyone deserves a education. We as a nation greatly benefit from doing so.

So you are against Common Core. This is not directed at you personally Matthew, but to everyone who is against Common Core. We are trailing the rest of the world when it comes to educating our children. Common Core Standards are what I would consider minimum standards in education, not pie in the sky expectations for our kids. If a child can't pass Common Core standards, that child is either as dumb as fuck or has a learning disability. If we want our kids to succeed in the world today, they better be able to make it through school with a few minimum requirements, or they are not going to make it in the real world If anyone is against common sense school standards, then they are raising pussies for children and do not want their children to succeed.

That being said, when I look at the way kids are being taught today, I do question what the Hell is going on. When my kids came home and showed me how they were being taught to figure out math problems, I couldn't even figure out what they were trying to do. Instead of making math easier, they made it more difficult. I am all for making learning as simple as possible, but there do need to be standards.

I don't like Common core as I think we can do a whole lot better but she does have a point. Education is something society should handle as everyone deserves a education. We as a nation greatly benefit from doing so.

So you are against Common Core. This is not directed at you personally Matthew, but to everyone who is against Common Core. We are trailing the rest of the world when it comes to educating our children. Common Core Standards are what I would consider minimum standards in education, not pie in the sky expectations for our kids. If a child can't pass Common Core standards, that child is either as dumb as fuck or has a learning disability. If we want our kids to succeed in the world today, they better be able to make it through school with a few minimum requirements, or they are not going to make it in the real world If anyone is against common sense school standards, then they are raising pussies for children and do not want their children to succeed.

That being said, when I look at the way kids are being taught today, I do question what the Hell is going on. When my kids came home and showed me how they were being taught to figure out math problems, I couldn't even figure out what they were trying to do. Instead of making math easier, they made it more difficult. I am all for making learning as simple as possible, but there do need to be standards.

That is NOT Common Core. That is curriculum. Common Core does not specify how to do the work, only that the student knows how.

However, your preceding comments are dead-on.

Common Core Exec: 'Damn the Second Amendment'

Says conservatives are "idiots."

News
Trey Sanchez

Project Veritas has released its third undercover video of another Common Core executive revealing the political ideology behind the national educational standards. And this time the anti-American agenda is made clear.

The featured Common Core salesperson in this video is Kim Koerber of National Geographic Education (funded by the Gates Foundation, by the way) and a former Pearson Education publishing executive. Her expressions of hatred for America's founding documents coupled with her undying love for Common Core brings the problem to an entirely new level. Plus, she brings a new meaning to the word disgust when talking about those pesky Texas conservatives:

Common Core is really important because it needs to have some cohesion between the states, and Texas keeps screwing it up over and over again.

Texas got upset about it and they wanted to have their founders, they wanted to pound the founders in it. And it's like come on!
The dead white guys did not create this country. It was a whole bunch of different kinds of people. And yes there were women, and yes there were people of color, and yes… you need to talk about them, too. But they want to talk about those dead white guys.

People who say that they want to teach the Constitution, only want to teach the part of the Constitution that they like.
When told that Texans are upset that the Constitution isn't being covered, Koerber pushed back hard saying, " It is being covered, but not the way they -- cause they’re idiots and they don’t know what’s in it."

"You should know a little bit about it, you shouldn’t have to memorize the thing," she added.

When a Project Veritas undercover journalist spoke about the Second Amendment, Koerber interjected:

That damn Second Amendment. I don’t think personal handguns need to be on anyone except the government, the police. What is the purpose of having a gun?
But Koerber wasn't done insulting conservatives, or Christians -- what she kept referring to as "those" people in Texas who keep resisting Common Core:

They don't agree with Islam, so they don't want their kids to know about it. They don't agree with birth control, so they don't want their kids to talk about it. They don't agree with math because they don't understand it. It's not the same math that they did in high school, so they don't want their kids to know about it.
Here is a little back and forth with a PV journalist and Kroeber, continuing this line of thought (via Breitbart):

PV: I am really glad I’m here in California, whatever religious affiliation you want to take is fine, but in Texas they want to push the Christianity.

KOERBER: Because they think it’s the only one.

PV: They do, and I see that.

KOERBER: That’s why it’s so offensive to have these prayers in the school board.

PV: Christianity is totally out of the common core?

KOERBER: Yes it is. Totally. It’s not a core concept at all.

PV: But then there is a mention of other religions like Islam.

KOERBER: Yeah well you have to because …

PV: So how did Islam get worked in?

KOERBER: Islam…they said you have to talk about Islam, you have to talk about Judaism and you have to talk about Christianity and they wanted to make it big about Christianity; no it’s like, everybody needs to know about everything else.​

Do you even know that the Constitution is not covered by the Common Core Standards at all?

There is no Christianity, no Islam, no social studies at all! Common Core is Language Arts and Math. That's it!

You have been had!
Tell that to the Exec of Common Core, by the way can you read. You sound like your a teacher, liberal one at that. The people don't like CC...

News
Trey Sanchez

Project Veritas has released its third undercover video of another Common Core executive revealing the political ideology behind the national educational standards. And this time the anti-American agenda is made clear.

The featured Common Core salesperson in this video is Kim Koerber of National Geographic Education (funded by the Gates Foundation, by the way) and a former Pearson Education publishing executive. Her expressions of hatred for America's founding documents coupled with her undying love for Common Core brings the problem to an entirely new level. Plus, she brings a new meaning to the word disgust when talking about those pesky Texas conservatives:

Common Core is really important because it needs to have some cohesion between the states, and Texas keeps screwing it up over and over again.

Texas got upset about it and they wanted to have their founders, they wanted to pound the founders in it. And it's like come on!
The dead white guys did not create this country. It was a whole bunch of different kinds of people. And yes there were women, and yes there were people of color, and yes… you need to talk about them, too. But they want to talk about those dead white guys.

People who say that they want to teach the Constitution, only want to teach the part of the Constitution that they like.
When told that Texans are upset that the Constitution isn't being covered, Koerber pushed back hard saying, " It is being covered, but not the way they -- cause they’re idiots and they don’t know what’s in it."

"You should know a little bit about it, you shouldn’t have to memorize the thing," she added.

When a Project Veritas undercover journalist spoke about the Second Amendment, Koerber interjected:

That damn Second Amendment. I don’t think personal handguns need to be on anyone except the government, the police. What is the purpose of having a gun?
But Koerber wasn't done insulting conservatives, or Christians -- what she kept referring to as "those" people in Texas who keep resisting Common Core:

They don't agree with Islam, so they don't want their kids to know about it. They don't agree with birth control, so they don't want their kids to talk about it. They don't agree with math because they don't understand it. It's not the same math that they did in high school, so they don't want their kids to know about it.
Here is a little back and forth with a PV journalist and Kroeber, continuing this line of thought (via Breitbart):

PV: I am really glad I’m here in California, whatever religious affiliation you want to take is fine, but in Texas they want to push the Christianity.

KOERBER: That’s why it’s so offensive to have these prayers in the school board.

KOERBER: Islam…they said you have to talk about Islam, you have to talk about Judaism and you have to talk about Christianity and they wanted to make it big about Christianity; no it’s like, everybody needs to know about everything else.​

Do you even know that the Constitution is not covered by the Common Core Standards at all?

There is no Christianity, no Islam, no social studies at all! Common Core is Language Arts and Math. That's it!

You have been had!
Tell that to the Exec of Common Core, by the way can you read. You sound like your a teacher, liberal one at that. The people don't like CC...

First, I am a teacher. I have taught Common Core Algebra for the past 5 years. I also taught Social Studies for one year. There are no Common Core Standards for Social Studies. None, nada, zip and zilch!

Second, I am not a liberal. I just happen to be a conservative that knows the truth from the inside of 19 years as a teacher and administrator.

The people don't like Common Core because they have been sold a bill of goods. That Exec as you call it is a book salesman, peddling curriculum, not standards. She flat out lied. Why would she be talking about the Constitution or religions when I just told you that social studies is not even part of Common Core?

If the parents don't like Common Core, we can get rid of it! But it will cost tax dollars to replace with something that will either be much harder (which people will still hate) or something that is watered down so badly that no one learns anything (and people will hate that too)!

That is NOT Common Core. That is curriculum. Common Core does not specify how to do the work, only that the student knows how.

However, your preceding comments are dead-on.

Oh, I realize that had nothing to do with Common Core. That was just some new way to teach math that someone thought was easier than the way we learned in school.

You can't be serious?!? It may have started out that way, but publishers/authors of the lessons found it as a perfect way to use it to attempt indoctrination-

News
Trey Sanchez

You have been had!

Look at the literature in the video I posted being passed off as literature. It is full of so called social justice.

News
Trey Sanchez

You have been had!

First, I am a teacher. I have taught Common Core Algebra for the past 5 years. I also taught Social Studies for one year. There are no Common Core Standards for Social Studies. None, nada, zip and zilch!

Second, I am not a liberal. I just happen to be a conservative that knows the truth from the inside of 19 years as a teacher and administrator.

The people don't like Common Core because they have been sold a bill of goods. That Exec as you call it is a book salesman, peddling curriculum, not standards. She flat out lied. Why would she be talking about the Constitution or religions when I just told you that social studies is not even part of Common Core?

If the parents don't like Common Core, we can get rid of it! But it will cost tax dollars to replace with something that will either be much harder (which people will still hate) or something that is watered down so badly that no one learns anything (and people will hate that too)!

The common core standards are lowering expectations. Here are some experts comments on the matter-
While Common Core promoters assert their standards are "internationally benchmarked," independent members of the expert panel in charge of validating the standards refute the claim. Panel member Dr. Sandra Stotsky of the University of Arkansas reported, "No material was ever provided to the Validation Committee or to the public on the specific college readiness expectations of other leading nations in mathematics" or other subjects.

In fact, Stanford University professor James Milgram, the only mathematician on the validation panel, concluded that the Common Core math scheme would place American students two years behind their peers in other high-achieving countries. In protest, Milgram refused to sign off on the standards. He’s not alone.

Professor Jonathan Goodman of New York University found that the Common Core math standards imposed "significantly lower expectations with respect to algebra and geometry than the published standards of other countries."

Under Common Core, as the American Principles Project and Pioneer Institute point out, algebra I instruction is pushed to 9th grade, instead of 8th grade, as commonly taught. Division is postponed from 5th to 6th grade. Prime factorization, common denominators, conversions of fractions and decimals, and algebraic manipulation are de-emphasized or eschewed. Traditional Euclidean geometry is replaced with an experimental approach that had not been previously pilot-tested in the U.S.

Ze'ev Wurman, a prominent software architect, electrical engineer and longtime math advisory expert in California and Washington, D.C., points out that Common Core delays proficiency with addition and subtraction until 4th grade and proficiency with basic multiplication until 5th grade, and skimps on logarithms, mathematical induction, parametric equations and trigonometry at the high school level.

You can't be serious?!? It may have started out that way, but publishers/authors of the lessons found it as a perfect way to use it to attempt indoctrination-

That is NOT Common Core. That is some textbook manufacturer's curriculum designed to teach the standard in Common Core. Look at what it says: "Reteaching" and "Strategies". Do you see the word "Standard" there?

There is no Common Core curriculum. School districts and states choose curriculum and there is no curriculum in Common Core, so the problem is the textbooks and materials that are aligned to the standards.

The common core standards are lowering expectations. Here are some experts comments on the matter-
While Common Core promoters assert their standards are "internationally benchmarked," independent members of the expert panel in charge of validating the standards refute the claim. Panel member Dr. Sandra Stotsky of the University of Arkansas reported, "No material was ever provided to the Validation Committee or to the public on the specific college readiness expectations of other leading nations in mathematics" or other subjects.

In fact, Stanford University professor James Milgram, the only mathematician on the validation panel, concluded that the Common Core math scheme would place American students two years behind their peers in other high-achieving countries. In protest, Milgram refused to sign off on the standards. He’s not alone.

Professor Jonathan Goodman of New York University found that the Common Core math standards imposed "significantly lower expectations with respect to algebra and geometry than the published standards of other countries."

Under Common Core, as the American Principles Project and Pioneer Institute point out, algebra I instruction is pushed to 9th grade, instead of 8th grade, as commonly taught. Division is postponed from 5th to 6th grade. Prime factorization, common denominators, conversions of fractions and decimals, and algebraic manipulation are de-emphasized or eschewed. Traditional Euclidean geometry is replaced with an experimental approach that had not been previously pilot-tested in the U.S.

Ze'ev Wurman, a prominent software architect, electrical engineer and longtime math advisory expert in California and Washington, D.C., points out that Common Core delays proficiency with addition and subtraction until 4th grade and proficiency with basic multiplication until 5th grade, and skimps on logarithms, mathematical induction, parametric equations and trigonometry at the high school level.

Nice cut and paste job without attribution. Isn't that a violation?

People disagree on the content. Try to find something that everyone agrees on! It can't be done.

However, the lies and misinformation about Common Core are historical.

Indiana "did away" with Common Core by changing the name and making some minor changes, but in reality it was still Common Core. That appeased everyone who didn't like Common Core by saying, "We replaced it!".

My state doesn't even call it Common Core and we were one of the first states to implement it! There are some things that Common Core leaves out, but I teach it anyway.

If you want to get rid of Common Core in your state, you now have the power to do so without losing any funding. However, don't come crying when the state asks for tax increases to replace all of those materials they bought that do not align with their "new" standards.

As always, be careful what you ask for, because you just might get it. ESSA changes all the rules regarding the use of Common Core. You are on your own!

As I stated, the publishers/authors are using it to their advantage to push their agendas. No comment about those that believe common core does not help? Let me ask you this, many moons ago, Americans scored higher than just about any other nation on tests. There was no common core there. Just traditional teaching methods that worked and worked well. Why do we not go back to those today, rather than try to reinvent the wheel?
When kids today, through common core math can't even count out change, something is wrong.

People disagree on the content. Try to find something that everyone agrees on! It can't be done.

Indiana "did away" with Common Core by changing the name and making some minor changes, but in reality it was still Common Core. That appeased everyone who didn't like Common Core by saying, "We replaced it!".

My state doesn't even call it Common Core and we were one of the first states to implement it! There are some things that Common Core leaves out, but I teach it anyway.

If you want to get rid of Common Core in your state, you now have the power to do so without losing any funding. However, don't come crying when the state asks for tax increases to replace all of those materials they bought that do not align with their "new" standards.

As always, be careful what you ask for, because you just might get it. ESSA changes all the rules regarding the use of Common Core. You are on your own!

As I stated, the publishers/authors are using it to their advantage to push their agendas. No comment about those that believe common core does not help? Let me ask you this, many moons ago, Americans scored higher than just about any other nation on tests. There was no common core there. Just traditional teaching methods that worked and worked well. Why do we not go back to those today, rather than try to reinvent the wheel?
When kids today, through common core math can't even count out change, something is wrong.

You are simply being ridiculous.

The Common Core Standards were a step up from what was being used in many locations before they were created. Some may disagree, but if you believe how the math that is being taught is too hard, how will raising the standards even more help?

As to your testing, once again you are being misled. The reason we tested at the top of the world (or more accurately to say higher than now) was that we did not test all of our students.

When I attended schools in the 60s and 70s, kids with mental or physical handicaps were non-existent in schools and no one cared. A few years ago, I had a student who was confined to a wheelchair, had movement only in his right shoulder, neck and head, and was non-verbal. He was one of the smartest kids I ever taught! By the same token, children with severe learning disabilities that cannot function in society without supervision sit in the same classroom and take the same tests as everyone else.

I had a student dropped in my classroom one day who had gotten off the plane from the Ukraine 3 days before. Now he was in an American high school and I spoke more Russian than he did English. Guess what happens on test day? He sits down and takes the same tests as everyone else.

In my middle school classroom where I taught in the inner city, I was the only person in the room born in the US and spoke fluent English, but they had to learn social studies, so I did my best! On test days, they sat down to the same tests as those from kids from the white-bread schools in the suburbs who spoke fluent English and were not refugees from some war-torn hell hole in Africa, Eastern Europe, Southeast Asia or the Middle East.

I love the oft repeated and uninformed comment about the inability to count change as that is a Common Core standard. The problem is that you don't understand it because you were taught in one way and the schools now teach it in a much simpler way that is easier for kids to understand, but you already know how to do it, so it confuses you. I have the same problem with my grandsons who are in elementary school, but I have the advantage of being a teacher. You don't..

The old days do not exist anymore and pretending they do is just intellectually dishonest.

I am glad the ESSA did away with the requirements for Common Core. Now maybe everyone will stop the bitching and get down to the business of helping to improve education.

Parents have loads to do with education. Hitlery is an idiot.

Last edited:

It's a parent's job to raise their kids not the schools. The problem with what I believe you're saying about society is when the schools take on responsibilities for raising rather than educating kids.

That doesnt mean xxxing the parents out

Parents should play a important part in the process. No question about it.

The problem is the system does way too many things beyond what it should and are parental responsibility.

It's a parent's job to raise their kids not the schools. The problem with what I believe you're saying about society is when the schools take on responsibilities for raising rather than educating kids.

I agree but there are loads of parents out there who expect the school to pretty much raise their kids. They expect the school to do more than teach reading, writing and rithmatic.

Schools are here to teach just that. Its up the parents to make sure their kids get the rest of their education. In short the parents should raise the kids. Not the school.

I agree but there are loads of parents out there who expect the school to pretty much raise their kids. They expect the school to do more than teach reading, writing and rithmatic.

Schools are here to teach just that. Its up the parents to make sure their kids get the rest of their education. In short the parents should raise the kids. Not the school.

The process didn't start with the parents asking. The schools took it upon themselves and the lazy parents were willing to let them do so.

You are simply being ridiculous.

The Common Core Standards were a step up from what was being used in many locations before they were created. Some may disagree, but if you believe how the math that is being taught is too hard, how will raising the standards even more help?

As to your testing, once again you are being misled. The reason we tested at the top of the world (or more accurately to say higher than now) was that we did not test all of our students.

When I attended schools in the 60s and 70s, kids with mental or physical handicaps were non-existent in schools and no one cared. A few years ago, I had a student who was confined to a wheelchair, had movement only in his right shoulder, neck and head, and was non-verbal. He was one of the smartest kids I ever taught! By the same token, children with severe learning disabilities that cannot function in society without supervision sit in the same classroom and take the same tests as everyone else.

I had a student dropped in my classroom one day who had gotten off the plane from the Ukraine 3 days before. Now he was in an American high school and I spoke more Russian than he did English. Guess what happens on test day? He sits down and takes the same tests as everyone else.

In my middle school classroom where I taught in the inner city, I was the only person in the room born in the US and spoke fluent English, but they had to learn social studies, so I did my best!

I love the oft repeated and uninformed comment about the inability to count change as that is a Common Core standard. The problem is that you don't understand it because you were taught in one way and the schools now teach it in a much simpler way that is easier for kids to understand, but you already know how to do it, so it confuses you. I have the same problem with my grandsons who are in elementary school, but I have the advantage of being a teacher. You don't..

The old days do not exist anymore and pretending they do is just intellectually dishonest.

I am glad the ESSA did away with the requirements for Common Core. Now maybe everyone will stop the bitching and get down to the business of helping to improve education.
Both my kids were taught by the new methods. Guess what? They struggled as it made no sense to them. We introduced phonics and made them learn their multiplication tables. They learned to do math in their heads. Their peers needed pencil and paper to figure out simple calculations, such as making change. They exceeded and went into ap courses and both graduated with honors and a year of college under their belts.
Now, I agree, we need to get back to the basics, so kids can excell. It is outrageous how many kids can't read, write, spell, or do simple math today, after years of instruction.
Now, to my point on scores, check out how sat scores were higher in '68 than today.
http://www.erikthered.com/tutor/historical-average-SAT-scores.pdf

This I totally agree with. What is allowed to transpire in schools today, is keeping teaching from occurring, particularly in inner city schools. Teachers are expected to deal with kids that have received no discipline at home, nor any guidance, and yet are expected to actually teach. Many don't have time to teach.

Forum List

Back