High Speed Chases Ending in Death - Whose Fault Is It, Really?

[...]
So, you're of the opinion that no ne should ever be pursued?
I'm of the opinion that specific creteria should be established as to specifically what circumstances necessitate placing the public safety at risk by engaging in a high-speed pursuit. And I will leave it up to you to suggest what in your opinion should justify initiating the potential for wiping out a family or causing extreme property damage.

Hypotheticals are invited.

[...]
I'm of the opinion that specific creteria should be established as to specifically what circumstances necessitate placing the public safety at risk by engaging in a high-speed pursuit. And I will leave it up to you to suggest what in your opinion should justify initiating the potential for wiping out a family or causing extreme property damage.

Very well put.

So, how about it folks - what WOULD justify a chase that has the potential for wiping out a family?

Just about anything?

Last edited:
I'd say about 99% of those who run are those who are criminals or are dui. So George, in your logic, the cops should let the criminal or the driver high on drugs go? A crime is a crime. If a driver takes off, THAT is in itself a punishable offense.

Ok, how many innocent people run from the cops? I'm not talking about innocent of a traffic violation. I'm saying that most of those who run due so because they also have drugs in the vehicle, or a warrant, or a body in the trunk, etc etc. Sure once in awhile some bozo just gets scared and bolts instead of taking the $200 speeding ticket or what have you, BUT most of the time the runners run for other reasons. How is a cop to know UNLESS he pulls that car over? Now, I'm not a big fan of high speed chases, and know without a doubt that some LEO just like the adrenaline rush, but there are legitimate reasons for them as well.

So the guy runs because he has some meth in his glove box, or even three kilos of cocaine in his trunk. So WHAT? Is something like that worth the life of an innocent person who is killed because of a high speed chase? I don't think it is.

Ah, but here's the rub, how do you know that getting that smack and that dealer off the stret didn't save 10 lives??????????

Ok, how many innocent people run from the cops? I'm not talking about innocent of a traffic violation. I'm saying that most of those who run due so because they also have drugs in the vehicle, or a warrant, or a body in the trunk, etc etc. Sure once in awhile some bozo just gets scared and bolts instead of taking the $200 speeding ticket or what have you, BUT most of the time the runners run for other reasons. How is a cop to know UNLESS he pulls that car over? Now, I'm not a big fan of high speed chases, and know without a doubt that some LEO just like the adrenaline rush, but there are legitimate reasons for them as well.

So the guy runs because he has some meth in his glove box, or even three kilos of cocaine in his trunk. So WHAT? Is something like that worth the life of an innocent person who is killed because of a high speed chase? I don't think it is.

Ah, but here's the rub, how do you know that getting that smack and that dealer off the stret didn't save 10 lives??????????

Good point, too bad we don't have anything to look bad on to see both sides of the issue and determine objectively which side has the better case. How can we possibly know if legalizing drugs would ruin our society compared with them being illegal.

Wait, we do.

Just like prohibition, the war on drugs is a complete failure and a waste of money and resources that can be better used elsewhere.

I'd say about 99% of those who run are those who are criminals or are dui. So George, in your logic, the cops should let the criminal or the driver high on drugs go? A crime is a crime. If a driver takes off, THAT is in itself a punishable offense.

Is there anything that would NOT justify a high speed chase, in your mind? If so, what is it?

Well, this is really the main point of the entire argument here - which is MORE LIKELY to kill someone, some cocaine or a high speed chase?

It's simply a matter of balancing risks. High speed chases that endager innocent lives (and there is NO high speed chase that won't endanger innocent lives) have to be weighed against the interest society has in preventing the reason for the chase to begin with.

To me (and to any thinking person), recovering a stolen car is not worth the death of an innocent person. In fact, preventing or solving ANY crime against property. is not worth the death of an innocent person.

[...]

Very well put.

So, how about it folks - what WOULD justify a chase that has the potential for wiping out a family?

Just about anything?

The Key Fallicy is that you assume that anyone can predict what a driver WOULD do.

Unhappily, there's no way to predict the future, even if you're a cop.

So, a guy who gets pulled over and runs has, in that instant that you insist police decide to pursue or not, as much chance to go the wrong way down the highway as he does in your imaginary world where all runners drive carefully home to await arrest whilst watching Dancing With The Stars.

[...]

Very well put.

Just about anything?

The Key Fallicy is that you assume that anyone can predict what a driver WOULD POTENTIALLY do.

So, a guy who gets pulled over and runs has, in that instant that you insist police decide to pursue or not, as much chance to go the wrong way down the highway as he does in your imaginary world where all runners drive carefully home to await arrest whilst watching Dancing With The Stars.

Good point, too bad we don't have anything to look bad on to see both sides of the issue and determine objectively which side has the better case. How can we possibly know if legalizing drugs would ruin our society compared with them being illegal.

Wait, we do.

Just like prohibition, the war on drugs is a complete failure and a waste of money and resources that can be better used elsewhere.

Hey, now you're talking about my career, easy now...........

Well, this is really the main point of the entire argument here - which is MORE LIKELY to kill someone, some cocaine or a high speed chase?

It's simply a matter of balancing risks. High speed chases that endager innocent lives (and there is NO high speed chase that won't endanger innocent lives) have to be weighed against the interest society has in preventing the reason for the chase to begin with.

To me (and to any thinking person), recovering a stolen car is not worth the death of an innocent person. In fact, preventing or solving ANY crime against property. is not worth the death of an innocent person.

I don't know about that. if someone steals my baby, I want LEO to chase his ass down. :lol:

Attachments

• $Dads car (14).jpg
    $Dads car (14).jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 59

Very well put.

Just about anything?

The Key Fallicy is that you assume that anyone can predict what a driver WOULD do.

No, there is no way to predict the future. But there is such a thing as a REASONABLE PROBABILITY, and it is reasonably more probable that a high speed chase is going to injure an innocent driver than that an innocent driver will be injured if the cop elects not to pursue.

And another thing - you keep harping on my "imaginary world" where cops get a license plate and then arrest the perp at his home. I have personally experienced this in a large number of cases where my brilliant clients did exactly that and were promptly arrested by the cops who were either waiting for them or went to their house soon after the event. It happens with fair regularity - nothing "imaginary" about it at all.

Last edited:
[...]

except i'm one of the most liberal members on this forum... kinda blows your whole opinion right out of the septic tank from whence it came.
Because you perceive yourself as "Liberal" does not exclude the possibility that your personal makeup is not essentially authoritarian (or even a little schizo).

[...]also, given that you find yourself supporting a guy whose sole basis from which to form his opinion about police chases is his assumption that most cops are egomaniacs says less about your milgram-wannabe input than it does about your laughable observations about USMB.

seriously.
I'm quite sure all cops are not egomaniacs. But it is a statistical fact that the police occupation manifests the highest percentile rate of suicide, divorce and alcoholism. So something is going on there and you might find that doing a little research into the academic circumstances of that reality will alter your thinking.

:rofl:

Maybe a little more tenure around USMB beyond your very TRULY significant month here will provide you with more insight than you seem to be missing today.

Your opinion of the causes of suicide, divorce and alcoholism in the police force is about as compelling as your community college grasp on personality types. Now, admit that you don't know what the fuck you are talking about some more.

:thup:

I just caught this. He is absolutely correct. I'm sure you read this from the guy you claim "doesn't know what the fuck" he is talking about:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/law-a...h-whose-fault-is-it-really-8.html#post2412970

Care for some fries with that crow? ;)

Last edited:
Very well put.

Just about anything?

No, there is no way to predict the future. But there is such a thing as a REASONABLE PROBABILITY, and it is reasonably more probable that a high speed chase is going to injure an innocent driver than that an innocent driver will be injured if the cop elects not to pursue.

And another thing - you keep harping on my "imaginary world" where cops get a license plate and then arrest the perp at his home. I have personally experienced this in a large number of cases where my brilliant clients did exactly that and were promptly arrested by the cops who were either waiting for them or went to their house soon after the event. It happens with fair regularity - nothing "imaginary" about it at all.

REALLY????

You mean, you don't have any clients that escaped the cops????

Wow, that's certainly surprising.:tongue:

A speeder seems like a weak excuse to hold up a cop helicopter, and it seems like that would be a waste of money. Then again I have no idea how much a helicopter costs to run so ...

Anyway the chasee would be mostly at fault but I don't think the police are not entirely blameless, they should know the costs of a high speed chase. I'm not saying they should be canned or demoted ... actually I'm not sure what the punishment should be. I like the idea of get down his license plate then send him tickets for speeding and for the chase.

Is there anything that would NOT justify a high speed chase, in your mind? If so, what is it?

If a driver takes off, THAT is the crime warranting a pursuit. Obviously, George, if a criminal is driving at a high-speed through a heavily populated area, police have alternatives to following at a high-rate. But it does not mean the cops just give up. The pursuit can slow and the cops can try to trap the suspects down the road without a high-rate of speed. But your response has been that at times, no pursuit at all is justified, which IMHO is wrong.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back