High-Fat Diet May Raise Prostate Cancer

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
High-Fat Diet May Raise Prostate Cancer Death Risk Everyday Health

Monday, June 01, 2015

Prostate cancer patients with an unhealthy, high-fat diet have a significantly higher risk of death from the disease, a new study suggests.

"There is currently very little evidence to counsel men living with prostate cancer on how they can modify their lifestyle to improve survival. Our results suggest that a heart-healthy diet may benefit these men by specifically reducing their chances of dying of prostate cancer," study senior author Jorge Chavarro, of the Harvard School of Public Health, said in a Harvard news release.

The study involved nearly a thousand U.S. doctors who had developed prostate cancer and were followed for an average of 14 years after diagnosis.

Chavarro's team assessed the men's eating habits to see if they had an unhealthy "Western" diet -- high in red and processed meat, high-fat dairy products and "refined" grains -- or a healthy diet high in vegetables, fruit, legumes (such as beans), fish and whole grains.

While the study couldn't prove cause-and-effect, the researchers found that men who scored highest in terms of Western eating habits were 2.5 times more likely to die from their prostate cancer, and 67 percent more likely to die from any cause, than those who scored lowest.

In contrast, men who scored highest in terms of healthy eating habits were 36 percent less likely to die from any cause than those who scored lowest, the researchers said.

Worth mentioning, masturbation/sex lowers prostate cancer risks. So I'd offer the usggestion that when people have high-fat diets, presumedly they're using food for pleasure more than sustenance while probably not use sex for pleasure as much as someone not relying on food for such purposes. In effect, if instead of sex you use food as a pleasureable activity, not only is the higher-fat intake adding risk factors, but the not masturbating or having sex is too. And if you freely have sex and pleasure, you probably aren't abusing food as much as those that aren't.

Anything in excess is going to unhealthy.

Just look at what the stupid FDA-Big Agra food pyramid did to the Obesity Rate of America with its carb-load diet.

Just look at what the stupid FDA-Big Agra food pyramid did to the Obesity Rate of America with its carb-load diet.

True, look what happens when you drink too much water, or eat too much cinnamon (or try to anyway hehe.)

True, look what happens when you drink too much water, or eat too much cinnamon (or try to anyway hehe.)

Gee you're dumb.

Water intoxication, also known as water poisoning or dilutional hyponatremia, is a potentially fatal disturbance in brain functions that results when the normal balance of electrolytes in the body is pushed outside safe limits by overhydration....

Water intoxication - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Gee you're dumb.

Water intoxication, also known as water poisoning or dilutional hyponatremia, is a potentially fatal disturbance in brain functions that results when the normal balance of electrolytes in the body is pushed outside safe limits by overhydration....

Water intoxication - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Which part of responding to "anything in excess is bad for you" then mention too much water makes you think I didn't know about water intoxication and the fatal response of too much?

Careful who you call dumb, it might be you.

I was in the Hospital for four days recently and while I was there the Doctors put me on a "Low Fat Diet". What did it consist of? Lots of sugar. I gained 6 lbs, felt like sh*t, had no energy and it took me 2 weeks to lose it and return to "normal" feeling and go back to sleeping all night.

By the way, Fat doesn't make you Fat. Sugar and Processed Carbs make you Fat and give you Health Issues.

"Well then why the f*ck were YOU in the Hospital Mr Health Now-It-All?"
I came down with Stage 3 Malignant Melanoma and had one big and one small tumor removed.

And if someone can tell me what is was I ate or what Vaccine I didn't take that was the reason I got it please chime in.

Also, during subsequent meetings my Doctor says I'm the "Best healing patient she's ever seen" and I'm 51 years old.

New Non-Invasive Robotic Prostate Surgery...

Non-Invasive Robotic Surgery Destroys Prostate Cancer Tumors
December 10, 2015 — Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in American men and is the fifth-leading cause of cancer death in men globally.
While death rates for prostate cancer have been decreasing in most developed countries, mortality rates are rising in some European and Asian countries such as South Korea, China and Russia. A non-invasive way of removing prostate cancer tumors is now available in the United States with the help of robotic technology. The University of Southern California is the first academic medical center in the U.S. to perform this type of procedure. Brett Lindsay knows he made history when he underwent a procedure known as robotic high intensity focused ultrasound, or HIFU. "I was excited about the new procedure because it was more or less non-invasive. The recovery time was a lot quicker — did not have to remove the prostate," Lindsay said.

C33440B1-7333-4A8D-B649-B3F857009A7B_w640_r1_s_cx0_cy6_cw0.jpg

Prostate cancer surgery, shown here in September 2011, could be less invasive in the U.S. with newly approved robotic technology.​

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration recently approved the procedure even though it's been used in other countries to treat prostate cancer for about 10 years. Traditional prostate cancer treatments include either removing the entire gland or radiation, which will affect the quality of life for patients even if the cancer is removed, said Inderbir Gill, lead urologist at the University of Southern California Institute of Urology at Keck Medicine of USC. "The nerves that are lying right next to the prostate that are responsible for erections, the sphincter that's lying right next to the prostate that is responsible for urinary continence, they get compromised. So, yes, you take care of the cancer, but you significantly impact the person's quality of life," Gill said.

Only cancer is targeted

With HIFU, only the cancer is identified, targeted and destroyed. The HIFU procedure is an outpatient procedure, said Robert Barnett of SonaCare Medical, one of the manufacturers of the technology. "Here we're taking ultrasound energy off of a concave or bowl-like surface and bringing that to a focal point, and at that point we have tremendous heat generated and we can destroy tissue," Barnett said. HIFU devices are used in Western Europe, Latin America and some Asian countries, but not so much in developing countries. "I think in the Third World if you will, in developing countries, it's a financial thing. Those countries certainly don't have the resources to commit to health care. Their focus is more on preventing infectious disease," Barnett said.

But he said that, looking at the global cost of treating prostate cancer, HIFU technology is less costly than radiation and it can easily be implemented in an unsophisticated medical setting. Gill said having the HIFU procedure at an academic medical center will allow them to further research the outcomes of HIFU procedures, minimize any side effects and advance the technology. The objective is "to figure out what molecular and genetic markers predict HIFU success, HIFU failure. Which patients are the best candidates for it? How do we not overtreat cancer? How do we not undertreat cancer?" Gill said. Brett Lindsay said he'll relax at home for a few days before going on a business trip in less than a week.

Non-Invasive Robotic Surgery Destroys Prostate Cancer Tumors

Male-pattern baldness may be predictor of prostate cancer...
confused.gif

The balder the man, the more likely he will get prostate cancer: How hair loss can predict risk, according to study
Tuesday 24th January, 2017 - As if male-pattern baldness were not already a curse for self-conscious men everywhere, a Canadian research team is suggesting it could also strongly predict the risk of getting prostate cancer, and more serious cases of the disease.
The University of Toronto scientists even argue the extent of someone’s hair loss might help doctors decide whether to carry out painful biopsies in marginal cases. And, they say, it seems to be a much better predictor of risk than commercial genetic tests that cost thousands of dollars each. “We were trying to be a bit provocative (about the genetic tests), but it’s true,” said Dr. Neil Fleshner, head of urology at Toronto’s Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and co-author of the study. “If you get it (baldness) early and you get a lot of it, those people are particularly at risk.” There is no suggestion that being bald itself causes prostate cancer. But Fleshner and his colleagues theorize that high levels of male hormones like testosterone are linked to both vanishing hair and the prostate malignancy.

The most significant aspect of the association, in fact, may be what it says about the biological mechanisms behind prostate cancer, the second-most-common type to afflict men, he said. Unusual as the juxtaposition of hair loss and cancer seems to be, their’s was not the first to make the link. A study published last year by the U.S. National Cancer Institute found that men with moderate baldness were 83% – just under two times – more likely than those who weren’t bald to die from prostate cancer. The Toronto research was conducted among almost 400 men who had come to Princess Margaret for a prostate biopsy. They were asked to rate their degree of baldness at both age 30 and currently on something called the Norwood scale, with scores for hair loss ranging from zero – for no balding – to four – severe balding at the “vertex,” or crown. A researcher verified the current score. Just under half the men were diagnosed with cancer. And the researchers found that the less hair someone had, the greater the chance he had cancer.

02x198_6ec0_9.jpg

A surgeon in Lyon, France conducts prostate cancer surgery. A newly published Canadian study suggests that having advanced male-pattern baldness strongly predicts risk of prostate cancer.​

Those who scored a three on the Norwood scale were just under three times as likely to have a malignant tumour as the non-bald, while those with a four on the scale were more than three times as likely to have cancer. The greatly increased risk, and evidence of a “dose-response” relationship – the chances of having cancer increased steadily with the degree of hair loss – points to there being a real connection, said Fleshner. The study also found that patients with the most advanced hair loss – a score of four – were three times as likely to suffer from higher-grade prostate cancer. Fleshner suggested that doctors who are unsure of whether to take samples of the prostate to analyze for cancer – the current PSA blood tests are a notoriously imprecise indicator – could look to the patient’s scalp for help. “If they’re on the borderline of whether to do a biopsy … you may want to take into account the added risk factor of the men’s head of hair,” he said.

Controversy surrounds prostate-cancer diagnosis, with concern that many men undergo treatment – and face the potential of serious side effects – for cancers that would not have been life-threatening. The National Cancer Institute study, though, suggested that more investigation was needed before using male-pattern baldness in cancer screening, partly because hair loss is so widespread among men. Meanwhile, baldness does seem to be a stronger sign of prostate-cancer odds than genetic tests now available for purchase, which can point to at most a two-fold greater risk, said Fleshner. Some research has found that both men with male-pattern baldness and with prostate cancer have elevated levels of testosterone, although the evidence is not conclusive.

The balder the man, the more likely he will get prostate cancer: How hair loss can predict risk, according to study

Forum List

Back