High emphasizes on Standardized Tests

MsWikia

May 19, 2008
Every state, except Iowa now administers test based on the states standards. Some states require students to pass these standardized tests in order to receive a HS Diploma; if they do not pass these exams they will only receive a certificate of attendance. Standardize testing in each state share these common factors: high standards for what all students should know and do; tests aligned to the standards to measure student progress; and accountability for schools based on the results.

Therefore, many teachers have resulted to teaching to the test. As a result, students are not in an engaging learning environment but are being forced to memorize facts and practice test taking skills. Although, teaching to the test will help the students become more familiar with the content on the test, other valuable information is being excluded from the curriculum.

What do you all think? Should testing play a huge role in determining whether students graduate or not?

Every state, except Iowa now administers test based on the states standards. Some states require students to pass these standardized tests in order to receive a HS Diploma; if they do not pass these exams they will only receive a certificate of attendance. Standardize testing in each state share these common factors: high standards for what all students should know and do; tests aligned to the standards to measure student progress; and accountability for schools based on the results.

Therefore, many teachers have resulted to teaching to the test. As a result, students are not in an engaging learning environment but are being forced to memorize facts and practice test taking skills. Although, teaching to the test will help the students become more familiar with the content on the test, other valuable information is being excluded from the curriculum.

What do you all think? Should testing play a huge role in determining whether students graduate or not?

That is because after the left destroyed the Public Education system a knee jerk reaction was to create "tests" to prove everyone was learning. It is because the Federal Government got involved in an area they have no authority or right to be in. The Feds want proof their money is not wasted and so "tests" are the proof.

It is because Teacher Unions have made it nearly impossible to fire tenured incompetent teachers and school districts shift more and more teachers into admin positions to meet all the paper work drills required by a growing Government interference.

I think that for a HS diploma to have any value, it shouldn't be handed out to anyone for just showing up. I've looked at some of these tests and anyone at graduation age that can't pass the damn thing is a retard and doesn't deserve a diploma. If teaching to the tests results in students acquiring basic math and reading skills, what's the problem with that? Isn't that really what it should be about anyway?

I think that for a HS diploma to have any value, it shouldn't be handed out to anyone for just showing up. I've looked at some of these tests and anyone at graduation age that can't pass the damn thing is a retard and doesn't deserve a diploma. If teaching to the tests results in students acquiring basic math and reading skills, what's the problem with that? Isn't that really what it should be about anyway?

Because it hurts gifted kids who can do more. We shouldn't ask the bare minimum of those kids, we should ask more and give them more.

Because it keeps kids from exploring and finding out what they love.

Because it stifles creativity because there's simply no time.

I could probably go on.

I don’t understand it. I do not see how standardized test will solve our education problem. There are still students below grade level and struggling with the basics: reading, writing, arithmetic, there is still a shortage of qualified and dedicated teachers, schools are still under funded and lacking resources; however, states find funding for these exams?? Makes no sense:eusa_eh: .

Because it hurts gifted kids who can do more. We shouldn't ask the bare minimum of those kids, we should ask more and give them more.

That's been a problem since long before these tests so I'm not sure why you would blame the tests. There is no reason why minimum graduation standards cannot co-exist with programs for gifted students.

Namby Pamby Bullshit...no offense.

See previous response.

I could probably go on.

Of that I have absolutely no doubt. :cool:

That's been a problem since long before these tests so I'm not sure why you would blame the tests. There is no reason why minimum graduation standards cannot co-exist with programs for gifted students.

It's not that they CAN'T. It's that they DON'T. Because when teachers are measured by stats, they can't take the time

Namby Pamby Bullshit...no offense.

See previous response.

How old are your girls? Talk to me again when you realize how their education is being screwed up.

Of that I have absolutely no doubt. :cool:

The problem is these test arent basic math, reading and writing. These tests require far more critical thinking and problem solving skills that students are not being exposed to in class. How can you jump to solving two-step equations if the student can't even add integers? But if you follow the outline of the test that's where you are suppose to start. There’s not enough time set in place for students to work on their personal weakness or build up their strengths because that time is now allocated for test preparation. Instead of school being an institution of learning, where students explore each subject artistically, it has become a place of memorization.

The problem is these test arent basic math, reading and writing. These tests require far more critical thinking and problem solving skills that students are not being exposed to in class. How can you jump to solving two-step equations if the student can't even add integers? But if you follow the outline of the test that's where you are suppose to start. There’s not enough time set in place for students to work on their personal weakness or build up their strengths because that time is now allocated for test preparation. Instead of school being an institution of learning, where students explore each subject artistically, it has become a place of memorization.

Like I said, I've seen the tests. I could've passed them in 6th grade.

The idea behind NCLB that 100% of students can be brought up to grade level is nonsense. It would be fine if 100% of the students had the ability to learn what's included in standardized tests, but 100% of the students do not.

For the 85-90% that do, if their teachers are actually teaching the curriculum, they shouldn't need to 'teach to the tests', as they would have actually done so from the start. By middle school all that's necessary is reminding the kids that the tests 'next week' are important, the high schools will most certainly use them to advise course placements, get plenty of rest and eat breakfast-even if you don't like to. Bring a healthy snack and then do your best, you're prepared.

maybe MsWikia should have taken a few more standardized tests. I think the word she wanted to use in the title is emphasis

That is because after the left destroyed the Public Education system a knee jerk reaction was to create "tests" to prove everyone was learning. It is because the Federal Government got involved in an area they have no authority or right to be in. The Feds want proof their money is not wasted and so "tests" are the proof.

It is because Teacher Unions have made it nearly impossible to fire tenured incompetent teachers and school districts shift more and more teachers into admin positions to meet all the paper work drills required by a growing Government interference.

While I agree with the first paragraph, the second is a little exagerrated. I've seen teachers forced from a position because she was pregnant and unmarried. Teachers Unions have found a rise specifically for the cause of unjust actions against teachers. Retarded lawsuits and such. If teachers didn't have to worry about looking at a student in the wrong way, then Teacher's Unions wouldn't have much use. It's not like they go on strike, they're just their to protect teachers who are being violated. I just saw on TV last night a teacher who failed 28 students for cheating on a paper (most copy and pasted from the internet). The teacher had all of their parents (as well as the students) sign contracts at the beginning of their clearly outlining how the teacher would deal with cheating. Any student that cheated would fail that particular assignment. The parents complained, the school board overroad the teachers authority and she lost her job......

The problem we have with testing, is that for one, teachers are put into a bad spot. If their students do poorly on a test, then the teacher risks losing his/her budget for his/her class, and possibly termination or discontinuation of a contract. And the problem with this is....(for example: 10th graders take the social studies TAKS(Texas Assessment of Knowledge and SKills) --along with others---. the social studies TAKS is primarily U.S. history. They last time they had U.S. history is in the 8th grade-and it's only the first half-. The next time they have it is when they are in the 11th grade. So they've only learned half. But, the poort 10th grade teacher who teaches world history is made to look incompetent if her students don't pass a primarily U.S. History based standardized test. )

The other problem is that it's being abused. Schools are being held hostage by the Fed. Gov. If their school performs poorly, they lose funding. If they score higher, they get more funding. (this is backwards to me, it seems the school scoring lower should be funded more to improve education there).

I think in the next few years, (in high school at least), Texas will be returning to end-of-course exams. Which IMO is much better. They'll be harder, but they will at least be tested on what they are learning. With the current TAKS testing, a student can pass all of his/her classes, but if they fail the TAKS, they may not be allowed to move on....IT'S STUPID.

I could probably go on.

Not to mention gives students a terrible opinion and attitude toward school. Some kind of testing itsn't bat, but it's being abused right now. Their was a report given in 1983 that gave rise to these standardized tests. It's called "A Nation at Risk" You can thank this for the Standardized Testing age
http://www.ed.gov/pubs/NatAtRisk/risk.html

I'm certainly willing to consider the possibility that it's been taken too far and some reasonable balance should be strived for. However, anyone that suggests that a student shouldn't have to demonstrate a minimum level of proficiency in the basics...reading, writing and arithmatic...in order to receive a HS diploma is implicitly suggesting that a HS diploma shouldn't be worth shit.

Yes, but Standardized testing is not. When I was in school, we took the TAAS test, and that was before Bush Jr. came along.

And I bet the teachers didn't spend a month prepping for it or change the school schedule to fit the test, did they? It's a totally different baby now.

And I bet the teachers didn't spend a month prepping for it or change the school schedule to fit the test, did they? It's a totally different baby now.

They taught a little to the test, but it still had the same reprecussions. I remember doing TAAS worksheets and practice tests before we took the real test, but the teachers were not worried about anything, and they just taught how they were supposed to, and usually the kids did ok. If you didn't pass, you had a problem though. Now, teachers are literally forced to teach to the test. Some schools even have scripted class where teachers are required to "READ" from a script while teaching. They cannot do their own thing. Now can you believe that a teacher with a four year degree and professional certification cannot even teach his or her own way?? They also have the looming fear of termination or loss of funding if their kids score bad on these tests.

Teaching is the most unrespected and underpaid profession in the United States today, IMO. They go through 4 years of schooling (sometimes 6) and take state tests to be certified to teach other human beings how to live...however, they get little pay and have less rights than the people they're teaching.

Forum List

Back