High emphasizes on Standardized Tests

I'm certainly willing to consider the possibility that it's been taken too far and some reasonable balance should be strived for. However, anyone that suggests that a student shouldn't have to demonstrate a minimum level of proficiency in the basics...reading, writing and arithmatic...in order to receive a HS diploma is implicitly suggesting that a HS diploma shouldn't be worth shit.

Who is saying that they should not be tested at all?

I think this is why Texas is shifting to End-of-course exams.

They taught a little to the test, but it still had the same reprecussions. I remember doing TAAS worksheets and practice tests before we took the real test, but the teachers were not worried about anything, and they just taught how they were supposed to, and usually the kids did ok. If you didn't pass, you had a problem though. Now, teachers are literally forced to teach to the test. Some schools even have scripted class where teachers are required to "READ" from a script while teaching. They cannot do their own thing. Now can you believe that a teacher with a four year degree and professional certification cannot even teach his or her own way?? They also have the looming fear of termination or loss of funding if their kids score bad on these tests.

Teaching is the most unrespected and underpaid profession in the United States today, IMO. They go through 4 years of schooling (sometimes 6) and take state tests to be certified to teach other human beings how to live...however, they get little pay and have less rights than the people they're teaching.

I agree. Quit voting for Bush and his doubles.

Not to mention gives students a terrible opinion and attitude toward school. Some kind of testing itsn't bat, but it's being abused right now. Their was a report given in 1983 that gave rise to these standardized tests. It's called "A Nation at Risk" You can thank this for the Standardized Testing age
http://www.ed.gov/pubs/NatAtRisk/risk.html

Luckily, my son loves school, but at one point, because he's in fifth grade this year, his ELA's and math scores from last year determined if he was going to be allowed to audition/test for the G&T middle schools. He held up okay, but I felt it was huge pressure for the kids. And now, we're waiting for the results of those auditions/tests to see where he's going next year. He doesn't even know if he's going to be in school with his best friends because they're waiting for the results, too. I kind of figure kids shouldn't have to deal with that stuff til they're older and there's already enough stress in their lives.

I'll take a look at your link when I have a moment. I'm still at work, so don't have time right now. But thanks.

That is because after the left destroyed the Public Education system a knee jerk reaction was to create "tests" to prove everyone was learning. It is because the Federal Government got involved in an area they have no authority or right to be in. The Feds want proof their money is not wasted and so "tests" are the proof.

It is because Teacher Unions have made it nearly impossible to fire tenured incompetent teachers and school districts shift more and more teachers into admin positions to meet all the paper work drills required by a growing Government interference.

Every fucking thing that you don't like, you blame on liberals. Take some fucking responsibility for once. Jezuz christ!

"Whaaaahhhh, liberals ruined education, economy, foreign policy, immigration, medicine, ect....."

It got old a long time ago. Why don't you get off your ass and do something productive about it. Go protest sometime, or start a radio station, or whatever it takes.

But hey, maybe that's what this messageboard is all about. A place where everyone can go and vent and bitch about everything they don't like without actually trying to do anything about anything.

Every fucking thing that you don't like, you blame on liberals. Take some fucking responsibility for once. Jezuz christ!

"Whaaaahhhh, liberals ruined education, economy, foreign policy, immigration, medicine, ect....."

It got old a long time ago. Why don't you get off your ass and do something productive about it. Go protest sometime, or start a radio station, or whatever it takes.

But hey, maybe that's what this messageboard is all about. A place where everyone can go and vent and bitch about everything they don't like without actually trying to do anything about anything.

Dont like facts? To damn bad. Starting in the 70's we had problems and it has gotten worse every year. Because of Liberals. No more history, just "social" studies. No more failing cause it might effect the poor kids self esteem. blah blah blah.

Dont like facts? To damn bad. Starting in the 70's we had problems and it has gotten worse every year. Because of Liberals. No more history, just "social" studies. No more failing cause it might effect the poor kids self esteem. blah blah blah.

If liberals are stealing your country away from you, then do something about it! Do you get involved beyond the internets?

We're in a hazy area right now of protest. "blogging" like on this MB has led a bunch of people to think they are being heard, when in reality it's a major cop out.

ps: I don't really care if you're right or wrong with your facts. Point is, words on my computer screen don't change a damn thing in the world.

They taught a little to the test, but it still had the same reprecussions. I remember doing TAAS worksheets and practice tests before we took the real test, but the teachers were not worried about anything, and they just taught how they were supposed to, and usually the kids did ok. If you didn't pass, you had a problem though. Now, teachers are literally forced to teach to the test. Some schools even have scripted class where teachers are required to "READ" from a script while teaching. They cannot do their own thing. Now can you believe that a teacher with a four year degree and professional certification cannot even teach his or her own way?? They also have the looming fear of termination or loss of funding if their kids score bad on these tests.

Teaching is the most unrespected and underpaid profession in the United States today, IMO. They go through 4 years of schooling (sometimes 6) and take state tests to be certified to teach other human beings how to live...however, they get little pay and have less rights than the people they're teaching.

Serious fallacy. Good teachers in reasonable schools are not teaching to the tests. Bad teachers do. Bad schools try to get the teachers to do so.

Standardized tests were originally meant to be egalitarian. Time was, getting into college was more about your prep school than your brain. They wanted to know if a poor kid in Iowa was as qualified as a rich kid from New York City.

Maybe if we actually taught kids to read write and think critically instead of all this multicultural and diversity crap they might actually perform well on tests and all this whining about testing will stop.

Serious fallacy. Good teachers in reasonable schools are not teaching to the tests. Bad teachers do. Bad schools try to get the teachers to do so.

What is your definition of teaching to the test???

I gurauntee you, if the teacher is at a TAKS level, they're teaching to the test. No matter what way they go about it, they're specifically teaching the content of the test. They no longer have the freedom to do other things, because they can't afford for their kids to fail. I'm not saying that every teacher does this. You're conclusion of bad teachers and good teachers is just an opinion. There are many good schools (where students pass the TAKS) that teach scripted classes---teachers teaching to the test---. I don't agree with scripted class, but unfortunately, a good school is believed to be one with good TAKS scores...to the government. Which are the ones funding the schools...along with a little bit of district tax.

I have a lot of friends who are teachers and the one thing I'm constantly hearing them complain about is that they get no back up from their administration or the parents of the kids they try to teach. If they fail someone they run and cry to their parents, who run and cry to the administration, who then proceed to give them hell for being so insensitive, or incompetent because they didn't teach them properly. Any parent can grab a lawyer and scare the administration into nearly anything because they are government employees who traditionally, and almost necessarily, have no backbone. If the public school system has failed at anything it's in this area. They won't fight to maintain order, discipline nor real expectations of their students. They clock in, clock out and are happy to have just dodged another bullet for another day, till they retire. I'm not talking about the teachers, it's the administration.
Personally, I'm for vouchers. You go out and find your own school.

What is your definition of teaching to the test???

I gurauntee you, if the teacher is at a TAKS level, they're teaching to the test. No matter what way they go about it, they're specifically teaching the content of the test. They no longer have the freedom to do other things, because they can't afford for their kids to fail. I'm not saying that every teacher does this. You're conclusion of bad teachers and good teachers is just an opinion. There are many good schools (where students pass the TAKS) that teach scripted classes---teachers teaching to the test---. I don't agree with scripted class, but unfortunately, a good school is believed to be one with good TAKS scores...to the government. Which are the ones funding the schools...along with a little bit of district tax.

Really? You are a teacher or administrator? I can say clearly, I've never taught to tests. I do not need to. My 6th graders come up on average in the 80%. Then again, they are expected to be in US history. They are in ancient history. However, they've been taught the importance of the legacies, I've hammered home the connections.

7th grade has averaged over the past 10 years, a 94% standardized score. Why? While I've no proof, I'd assume the strong ancient history background coupled with the We the People curriculum in 7th. The know the philosophy that influenced the framers. They know the framers and the federalists and anti-federalists.

Really? You are a teacher or administrator? I can say clearly, I've never taught to tests. I do not need to. My 6th graders come up on average in the 80%. Then again, they are expected to be in US history. They are in ancient history. However, they've been taught the importance of the legacies, I've hammered home the connections.

7th grade has averaged over the past 10 years, a 94% standardized score. Why? While I've no proof, I'd assume the strong ancient history background coupled with the We the People curriculum in 7th. The know the philosophy that influenced the framers. They know the framers and the federalists and anti-federalists.

I have a question about that. If I recall correctly, you teach in a parochial school (if I'm incorrect, stop me there and disregard the rest...), but perhaps, as a result, you aren't under the same pressure to teach to the test as public school teachers.

I don't know... that's why I'm asking.

I have a question about that. If I recall correctly, you teach in a parochial school (if I'm incorrect, stop me there and disregard the rest...), but perhaps, as a result, you aren't under the same pressure to teach to the test as public school teachers.

I don't know... that's why I'm asking.

Yes, I'm in parochial school and yes I get to call how I'll teach within the parameters of state approved curriculum. With that said, the idea of 'select' students is way wrong. At the diocesan level they have a 'mission' of educating 'all God's children', no matter how damaged.

I do mean 'damaged.' In my current 7th grade, I have a student that comprehension wise if at 2nd grade level. Her parents refuse to move her, so she is currently working in a 5th grade text and workbook. She works hard, but excluding literal work, she fails.

Thanks for that. But it seems your mission is a bit different than the public school teachers in my area, at least. In public schools, it's all about numbers because numbers are all about "report cards" which are all about success... (and I mean school report cards, not the kids').

The problem with helping your damaged student who can't keep up is that teachers teach to the bottom third of the class, so that would impede the education of the rest of the class.

I'm also not sure how fair it is to cause a kid to persistently fail. (her parents, not you.)

Can't remember where I read it but I do remember reading a critique which argued the the kids in the middle of the curve lose out on teacher attention as the teacher is attending to the really bright ones at one end and the ones that are struggling at the other. But the whole idea of teaching mixed ability classes is a conundrum of itself. Perhaps the English comprehensive school system wasn't so bad after all.

Forum List

Back