Hey Ray.....thoughts in this earthquake??

Different fault zone than the caldera. And the recent swarm of quakes at the caldera is pretty much normal. We have had them before at the two active calderas in the US, Yellowstone and the Long Valley Caldera. That hardly means that we should not have active monitors on them. We do not know the pattern for a caldera eruption. So, were we to see a combination of rapid ground rise, increase in heat, and a lot of quakes that start forming a pattern, then we will have reason to worry. But what we have seen this year seems to be the normal restlessness of this beast.

Even old calderas have these swarms. A few years ago my wife and I drove from Alturas through the Black Rock desert, and north through the Virgin Vally caldera. As we drove through I commented on how broken up the area was with faults. About a month after we got home, they had a series of over 1000 small quakes over a few weeks.

Different fault zone than the caldera. And the recent swarm of quakes at the caldera is pretty much normal. We have had them before at the two active calderas in the US, Yellowstone and the Long Valley Caldera. That hardly means that we should not have active monitors on them. We do not know the pattern for a caldera eruption. So, were we to see a combination of rapid ground rise, increase in heat, and a lot of quakes that start forming a pattern, then we will have reason to worry. But what we have seen this year seems to be the normal restlessness of this beast.

Even old calderas have these swarms. A few years ago my wife and I drove from Alturas through the Black Rock desert, and north through the Virgin Vally caldera. As we drove through I commented on how broken up the area was with faults. About a month after we got home, they had a series of over 1000 small quakes over a few weeks.

I remember you telling me about that trip.......sounded to me like an awesome time.:2up:

http://www.newsweek.com/montana-earthquake-yellowstone-supervolcano-632736

Weirding my kids.........is this a one-off or is this amped up drama crap??
I live and work in the Yellowstone region. Several of my friends work for YVO and they are not concerned at this time. Even the recent quake swarm has not been accompanied by any rise or fall of the earths crust in the caldera. Even the boys at pipeline control (the folks responsible for sensing leaks or failures) are not concerned and the flows are at 80% or better. IF there were concerns these flows would be zero or near total shut down.

Forum List

Back